GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Bluetooth + CarPlay disappeared

Purcell

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi all,

The Bluetooth in my 2016 GTI disappeared a couple of days ago, along with the CarPlay. When I go into App-Connect for CarPlay, I'll get the message "You can activate the function by buying an activation key from your VW dealer." I've had this car for 3 years now ?‍♂️

I've tried a hard reset, I've tried resetting to factory settings, but still nothing.

Any ideas short of going to the VW dealership and probably getting ripped off?

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
Arrrgh

Only thing I can think to try is to disconnect the battery for a few minutes, causing it to truly cold boot. Beyond that - good luck with the stealership, who will no doubt be baffled by that error since NAR-spec cars were never sold with optional "activation keys" available from dealers.

ced95

Car(s)
16’ GTI SE
Pinging this as well. My 2016 GTI also just started having this exact issue and I am wondering if anyone might be able to help troubleshoot.

mr-fix

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 2.0TDI Variant
The issue is FecContainer.fec file that gets corrupted in the file system of the unit.
If you go to hidden menu and check the installed FECs list, you should see activation codes for features like CarPlay, Voice Control, Bluetooth. If those codes are marked as invalid, you will not be able to use those features.

Solution? You can go to dealer and ask them to restore missing FEC/SWaP codes (Feature Enabling Codes / SoftWare as a Product codes) or you can patch the unit with SD activators and enable all supported features yourself.