GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Bluemotion Coasting

Northern John

Car(s)
VW mark 7
Hi, new to forum, hope I'm in the correct section.
I have a VW Golf 68reg mark7.5 blue motion,from new.
I normally drive in normal Drive Mode.
It frequently to cuts to 2 cylinders and frequently coasts at approx 750 revs, no problem.
Occassionally it coasts at zero revs ,again not a problem.
However I cannot work out why it seem so unpredictable, yesterday 65mph on underlating section of M6 going North coasted 0 revs, returned at 750 revs. Other week on flat at 30mph coasted at 0, usually 750.
Any clues, Thanks John

evosevenfive

Car(s)
1.5TSI 150 Evo DSG
I have a similar model - I believe if you touch the brake, it will start the engine and give you engine braking until the next time you touch the accelerator and then lift off.

Then it resets back to freewheeling mode.

Sport mode on the gearbox disables the freewheeling coasting function if you want to maintain engine braking.

It doesn't seem to make any difference to MPG on long trips at 70mph without holdups - I get 48mpg in either drive or sport.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Here's the self study guide on it:-

EVO coasting.jpg

evosevenfive

Car(s)
1.5TSI 150 Evo DSG
I was trying this out today - now that I know the detail of what's happening I don't have to brake as much.

Previously when I was coasting I would be on the brake to slow down, but all I have to do is tap the brake and it will stop coasting and give me engine braking instead until I accelerate and then lift off.

Paultheotherone

Car(s)
2019 VW Golf 1.5 tsi
Here's the self study guide on it:-

View attachment 258927
HI Dave,
Hope all is well, I have just come across this post as not long purchased through a family bereavement a 5500 mile 1.5 bluemotion Golf with a DSG gearbox. I'm hoping someone can explain why when my start/stop is turned off the coasting facility overrides and still cuts the engine as I'm slowing down then re starts as I almost come to a stop. My manual does not have the diagram above but it does say "VEHICLES WITH DSG DIAL CLUTCH GEARBOX MAY BE EQUIPPED WITH A START/STOP SYSTEM WITH ECO COASTING FUNCTION. THE ECO COASTING FUNCTION IS DEACTIVATED AND ACTIVATED TOGETHER WITH THE START/STOP SYSTEM". But this isn’t the case as mentioned above with start/stop turned off the car still coasts as I see the rev counter drop to 0 then the engine starts again just as I stop.
Paul

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
HI Dave,
Hope all is well, I have just come across this post as not long purchased through a family bereavement a 5500 mile 1.5 bluemotion Golf with a DSG gearbox. I'm hoping someone can explain why when my start/stop is turned off the coasting facility overrides and still cuts the engine as I'm slowing down then re starts as I almost come to a stop. My manual does not have the diagram above but it does say "VEHICLES WITH DSG DIAL CLUTCH GEARBOX MAY BE EQUIPPED WITH A START/STOP SYSTEM WITH ECO COASTING FUNCTION. THE ECO COASTING FUNCTION IS DEACTIVATED AND ACTIVATED TOGETHER WITH THE START/STOP SYSTEM". But this isn’t the case as mentioned above with start/stop turned off the car still coasts as I see the rev counter drop to 0 then the engine starts again just as I stop.
Paul

Eco coasting is mentioned in the above page from the ERWIN self study guide....

Eco coasting will kick in when the cars speed drops below 40kph... & the engine will now be at idle.....when the cars speed drops below 15kph the stop/start function will take over & activate & engage/disengage as it sees fit..

As soon as brake or accelerator pedals are pressed the stop/start again will engage or disengage as it sees fit...& eco-coasting will be disengaged...

Paultheotherone

Car(s)
2019 VW Golf 1.5 tsi
Eco coasting is mentioned in the above page from the ERWIN self study guide....

Eco coasting will kick in when the cars speed drops below 40kph... & the engine will now be at idle.....when the cars speed drops below 15kph the stop/start function will take over & activate & engage/disengage as it sees fit..

As soon as brake or accelerator pedals are pressed the stop/start again will engage or disengage as it sees fit...& eco-coasting will be disengaged...
So this happens even when I’ve turned the start/stop off!

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
So this happens even when I’ve turned the start/stop off!
yep!.....

You would need to code the Stop/start off eg using the temp or voltage parameters.....as this holds the stop/start off & unable to work......I coded my stop/start off & it great!...Yours is a MK7.5 & I think there is a slight difference in the coding...there are "holders" which you plug in between the button & the wiring loom which hold the function in the last known position...so you can keep it in "off"....

I'm calling someone who has a bit more knowledge on this matter.. @DV52

Paultheotherone

Car(s)
2019 VW Golf 1.5 tsi
yep!.....

You would need to code the Stop/start off eg using the temp or voltage parameters.....as this holds the stop/start off & unable to work......I coded my stop/start off & it great!...Yours is a MK7.5 & I think there is a slight difference in the coding...there are "holders" which you plug in between the button & the wiring loom which hold the function in the last known position...so you can keep it in "off"....

I'm calling someone who has a bit more knowledge on this matter.. @DV52
Thanks Dave. I have access to a new VCDS cable and software

Paultheotherone

Car(s)
2019 VW Golf 1.5 tsi
I was concerned that if I was to permanently turn off the stop/start it would still go into coasting. Hopefully if I get the necessary code I can give it a try.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I was concerned that if I was to permanently turn off the stop/start it would still go into coasting. Hopefully if I get the necessary code I can give it a try.

It might still go coasting...but the stop/start would not work....

BUT if you look at the photo that i posted above..it lists the "prerequisites for eco-coasting"....one of which is stop/start to function...!!.....turn stop/start off.... eco coasting should also turn off...in "theory".....

Paultheotherone

Car(s)
2019 VW Golf 1.5 tsi
Yes read the prerequisites and exactly how my car is setup although when in ECO mode the gear selector isn't showing D but E. The main reason for the post Dave was some people were saying if the stop/start button was turned off then this would also stop the coasting but others like me this isn't the case so you can imagine there I am driving along knowing the start/stop is turned off then suddenly my rev counter drops to zero and the engine has cut out so it can coast.
I only do a 9 mile journey to work and sometimes the car cuts then starts at least 10 times over a short journey.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Yes read the prerequisites and exactly how my car is setup although when in ECO mode the gear selector isn't showing D but E. The main reason for the post Dave was some people were saying if the stop/start button was turned off then this would also stop the coasting but others like me this isn't the case so you can imagine there I am driving along knowing the start/stop is turned off then suddenly my rev counter drops to zero and the engine has cut out so it can coast.
I only do a 9 mile journey to work and sometimes the car cuts then starts at least 10 times over a short journey.

All you can do is try it with VCDS.....