GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Bluemotion Coasting

Northern John

Car(s)
VW mark 7
Hi, new to forum, hope I'm in the correct section.
I have a VW Golf 68reg mark7.5 blue motion,from new.
I normally drive in normal Drive Mode.
It frequently to cuts to 2 cylinders and frequently coasts at approx 750 revs, no problem.
Occassionally it coasts at zero revs ,again not a problem.
However I cannot work out why it seem so unpredictable, yesterday 65mph on underlating section of M6 going North coasted 0 revs, returned at 750 revs. Other week on flat at 30mph coasted at 0, usually 750.
Any clues, Thanks John

evosevenfive

Car(s)
1.5TSI 150 Evo DSG
I have a similar model - I believe if you touch the brake, it will start the engine and give you engine braking until the next time you touch the accelerator and then lift off.

Then it resets back to freewheeling mode.

Sport mode on the gearbox disables the freewheeling coasting function if you want to maintain engine braking.

It doesn't seem to make any difference to MPG on long trips at 70mph without holdups - I get 48mpg in either drive or sport.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Here's the self study guide on it:-

EVO coasting.jpg

evosevenfive

Car(s)
1.5TSI 150 Evo DSG
I was trying this out today - now that I know the detail of what's happening I don't have to brake as much.

Previously when I was coasting I would be on the brake to slow down, but all I have to do is tap the brake and it will stop coasting and give me engine braking instead until I accelerate and then lift off.