GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Blue Smoke on Startup

OEMPL+S

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
7 R
Thanks, yeah I don't know about the magic Lucas stuff... probably won't use it. Appreciate hearing another confirmation of what the issue is though, as good as the internet can be you read a lot of crazy stuff and its hard to decipher sometimes.

I am gonna try the BL revision PCV as apparently that can deal with the smoke on start up as well as it's better for track duty.
https://golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/catch-can-worth-it-bad-pcv.378309/post-7504938

dcgtimk7

Go Kart Newbie
My car is having a similar problem. The car smokes a bit on startup. When the car is cold and outside the smoke is small and barely noticeable. When the car is cold and parked in a garage the smoke is more visible. If I start the car after it has warmed up there is usually a pretty big cloud of smoke. The car runs fine and doesn't seem to eat that much oil. I got a leakdown and compression performed on it. The leakdown test was 5% and the compression test was 210-205-205-205. The smoke doesn't appear when I drive or go WOT. It just happens when I start the car. The smoke happens 80% of the time. There have been a few times where there's been 0 smoke but those times are rare. The car makes the requested boost and the turbo doesn't have any visible damage or shaft play. The turbo also doesn't make any abnormal noises. I took the dp off and I didn't see any oil residue on the turbine wheel or housing. The car is running an is38 i got from a 2017 golf r. I've replaced the di injectors, pcv 3 times (I have this revision 06K103495BK on my car right now), I've used injector cleaner, liquid moly motor oil saver and liquid moly hydraulic lifter additive. Besides the smoke issue the car runs fine. The smoke issue is really just embarrassing.

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
My car is having a similar problem. The car smokes a bit on startup. When the car is cold and outside the smoke is small and barely noticeable. When the car is cold and parked in a garage the smoke is more visible. If I start the car after it has warmed up there is usually a pretty big cloud of smoke. The car runs fine and doesn't seem to eat that much oil. I got a leakdown and compression performed on it. The leakdown test was 5% and the compression test was 210-205-205-205. The smoke doesn't appear when I drive or go WOT. It just happens when I start the car. The smoke happens 80% of the time. There have been a few times where there's been 0 smoke but those times are rare. The car makes the requested boost and the turbo doesn't have any visible damage or shaft play. The turbo also doesn't make any abnormal noises. I took the dp off and I didn't see any oil residue on the turbine wheel or housing. The car is running an is38 i got from a 2017 golf r. I've replaced the di injectors, pcv 3 times (I have this revision 06K103495BK on my car right now), I've used injector cleaner, liquid moly motor oil saver and liquid moly hydraulic lifter additive. Besides the smoke issue the car runs fine. The smoke issue is really just embarrassing.
It's a pretty common issue, it's the valve stems. Same thing on my IS38 GTI.

dcgtimk7

Go Kart Newbie
It's a pretty common issue, it's the valve stems. Same thing on my IS38 GTI.

I don't really have these symptoms. My car doesn't smoke when it idles or in city traffic and it doesn't smoke when i accelerate.

"The seal has also cooled during non operation; which causes it to contract and leave a small gap. When the engine first starts up; residual oil gets sucked down; through the bad seal and into the combustion chamber. A large cloud of blue-white smoke will be seen, exiting the tailpipe just after start-up. But, the burning smoke will disappear, during cruising or highway speed.

Idle and Stop and Go Driving

Bad valve stem seals, will show themselves during; prolonged idling at stop signs or stop lights, in congested city conditions. When the vehicle sits at idle for prolonged periods; high levels of vacuum at the intake manifold result. The high vacuum, attracts oil in the heads, to congregate around the valve stems.
Upon acceleration, the oil gets sucked, past the seal and down through the valve guide. Huge clouds of blue-white smoke exit the tailpipe, after each acceleration from a stop. But, the burning smoke will disappear, during cruising or highway speed."

https://dannysengineportal.com/valv...valve-lubrication-as-well-as-oil-consumption/