GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Blue smoke after idling for a bit

branman1

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI 2021 GLI
I am going to go with a bad turbo seal. Are you losing oil too ?
I’m sure there is some loss but not measurable on the dipstick as far as I can tell. I always periodically check oil level and have never noticed any oil consumption which I feel fortunate for as I know some others have seen much worse.

branman1

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI 2021 GLI
I am going to go with a bad turbo seal. Are you losing oil too ?
Also what makes you think this? I don’t seem to have many, if any symptoms of turbo seals. I’m certainly open to your thoughts though on why you think this.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Also what makes you think this? I don’t seem to have many, if any symptoms of turbo seals. I’m certainly open to your thoughts though on why you think this.
I don't think it's the turbo seal. Since you said it's just 1 puff of smoke after idling long and taking off. If it was the turbo seal it should start smoking while idling if idling long enough and it wouldn't be a puff of smoke it would be a good size cloud. It's possible if the seal is just starting to go bad but not likely.

branman1

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI 2021 GLI
I don't think it's the turbo seal. Since you said it's just 1 puff of smoke after idling long and taking off. If it was the turbo seal it should start smoking while idling if idling long enough and it wouldn't be a puff of smoke it would be a good size cloud. It's possible if the seal is just starting to go bad but not likely.
Yes that’s what I was expecting to see if it were turbo seals going bad. With so many issues with turbos on these cars that was certainly my first thought but it doesn’t appear to be that. Yeah it’s possible it’s at an early stage of failure. I will continue to drive and try get this out of my head so I can keep enjoying my car and let this start to get worse and see where it goes.

Btw thanks again for the info on the trackslag it really helped my decision. It was close between Baun performance and trackslag but couldn’t argue the price and of course the slight benefit of the larger piping.

StockblockGLI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GLI
I have seen similar issues on other platforms (blue smoke after idling) and most of the time it ended up being a bad turbo seal on the exhaust side but there is usually oil loss associated with that. Just my speculation but I am not a mechanic by any means.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Yes that’s what I was expecting to see if it were turbo seals going bad. With so many issues with turbos on these cars that was certainly my first thought but it doesn’t appear to be that. Yeah it’s possible it’s at an early stage of failure. I will continue to drive and try get this out of my head so I can keep enjoying my car and let this start to get worse and see where it goes.

Btw thanks again for the info on the trackslag it really helped my decision. It was close between Baun performance and trackslag but couldn’t argue the price and of course the slight benefit of the larger piping.
Also if it was the turbo seal it would be white smoke not blue.