GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Blown turbo > damage downpipe > causing turbo blown again?

Henrythelam

Just wonder is the whistling sound when turbo is spooling normal?

I notice this sound and told the shop right after the turbo was replaced but he said it is normal

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Just wonder is the whistling sound when turbo is spooling normal?

I notice this sound and told the shop right after the turbo was replaced but he said it is normal

I have an IS38 and mine sounds like a zinging sound. Not a whistle. Zinging sound is similar to a manual trans gear sound. I have a DSG.

7r Sykt

Car(s)
MK7R DSG
I'm sorry to hear about your turbo troubles. I hope you get it sorted soon.
Could you detail your whistling turbo sound for me and any fellow members please?
For example was the whistle during throttle or when you let off the throttle?
RPM range of the whistle sound occurrence?
Was it a constant or intermittent whistle?
Much appreciated!

Henrythelam

I'm sorry to hear about your turbo troubles. I hope you get it sorted soon.
Could you detail your whistling turbo sound for me and any fellow members please?
For example was the whistle during throttle or when you let off the throttle?
RPM range of the whistle sound occurrence?
Was it a constant or intermittent whistle?
Much appreciated!

I wonder whether the sound come from loose pipe clamp as my turbo outlet pipe seem not air tight enough, namely I can swipe oil from the downside of the turbo muffler delete, I guess it is seepage

btw is oil (little bit of oil not much) coming out from turbo normal?

888Gen3

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GOLF MK8 GTI
Your IS38 does not seem the original IS38 - It looks like the Chinese copy (see Alibaba for 600,00 USD). There are lots of signs that seem to confirm that. Some European tuners and private customers bought them and they blew already on the dyno (shaft cracks, turbine housing burst, etc.) with just 320 HP. I have had hundreds of original & new VW OEM IHI IS38 turbos in my hands.
HOWEVER, you need a STABLE hybrid (Just replacing the shaft, bearing, wheels, etc. is NOT enough, because when making 2x launch controls nearly all IS38 hybrids die within seconds). You need to replace the COMPLETE core like Ladermanufaktur (LM Germany) and very few others do. Then you can make 200x pulls / drags / launch controls per dayand all keeps stable.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I wonder whether the sound come from loose pipe clamp as my turbo outlet pipe seem not air tight enough, namely I can swipe oil from the downside of the turbo muffler delete, I guess it is seepage

btw is oil (little bit of oil not much) coming out from turbo normal?

Ask them what brand of turbo it is.

Henrythelam

I would like to dig this post out to update my situation

Last time when I check my oil I notice much oil soaking around the oil pan and it spill all over my subframe and the surrounding area
Thus I changed my oil pan and gasket and washed out the oil, a month later I checked and it was once again soaked with oil
Eventually they checked the source of the oil and find that the oil was leaked out from this 2nd TURBO they replaced, which they claimed to be internally reinforced

I was quite shocked and unhappy but it instantly reminded me that bros here already spotted that my turbo might be a Aliexpress ripoff
although the shop reiterated that the turbo came from Taiwan and it run safe on many other GTI
I have requested them to replace it with a genuine VW one WITHOUT ANY REINFORCEMENT
They will only charge me 50% of the labour for the replacement
but I am quite unhappy for this, not for the money but the fact that they sold faulty turbo to me

is it really worth to gamble the reputation of your shop by maximizing the profit using parts from Aliexpress?

I choose to write it up here, which I don't think him and his customers would browse
I live in Hong Kong so I think most of you are safe from them

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I would like to dig this post out to update my situation

Last time when I check my oil I notice much oil soaking around the oil pan and it spill all over my subframe and the surrounding area
Thus I changed my oil pan and gasket and washed out the oil, a month later I checked and it was once again soaked with oil
Eventually they checked the source of the oil and find that the oil was leaked out from this 2nd TURBO they replaced, which they claimed to be internally reinforced

I was quite shocked and unhappy but it instantly reminded me that bros here already spotted that my turbo might be a Aliexpress ripoff
although the shop reiterated that the turbo came from Taiwan and it run safe on many other GTI
I have requested them to replace it with a genuine VW one WITHOUT ANY REINFORCEMENT
They will only charge me 50% of the labour for the replacement
but I am quite unhappy for this, not for the money but the fact that they sold faulty turbo to me

is it really worth to gamble the reputation of your shop by maximizing the profit using parts from Aliexpress?

I choose to write it up here, which I don't think him and his customers would browse
I live in Hong Kong so I think most of you are safe from them

I think they should install the new one for free.

Henrythelam

the problem is, he needed to get this SECOND faulty turbo back to "Taiwan" for another replacement
therefore, I could choose from a third "Taiwan" turbo or he swap his IS38 from his own TTs to me and he use that Taiwan one
I don't think he would bear the cost of a genuine IS38 on this replacement and I am not going to force him too

Anyway, I rather use a second hand genuine