GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Blowby & Blown turbos

atimlow

Car(s)
2015 MK7 GTI
Really need some insight here.

Had an issue where on deceleration, I would get heavy blowby, thick white smoke that would linger behind me and come out the exhaust. This was after a pull and hard acceleration. This would eat up my oil level and cause issues, had a lot of this in the summer time, I just didint think anything of it and just kept topping off the oil as a typical teenager would (lol). Fast forward a bit, I had it happen again, but this time it ended up blowing the turbo. Shop stated it was due to extremely low oil levels. Quick $2,600 right there, lesson learned. Drove pretty mildly after it was replaced, some fun here and there as its winter time in michigan, made sure I check oil weekly and topped up as needed. 2 weeks goes by and the exact same thing happens, I accelerate from a stop sign pretty fast as another car was pulling up at the same time as me, and as I put on the breaks a ton of smoke came out, and loss power, car wouldnt turn on etc. Shop stated it was a blown turbo again, and was either low oil, too much boost pressure or faulty turbo.

I don't know what the issue is, If its PCV valve, ive done some reading and it seems like maybe this is the issue? Im not really sure where to go from here. not sure if it matters but i have the o2 sensor in the engine bay unplugged as EQT forum and many places recommended to do so if tuned so you dont run rich with having an aftermarket downpipe.

If I missed anything please let me know, and ask it below so I can answer, just want to know what my next step is.
Here are the details of my exact car:
2015 MK7 GTI
117,434 miles
DSG
Unitronic Intercooler
CTS downpipe
Resonator delete
AMS Intake
CTS outlet pipe
Sneeky Stage 2 on Pump gas, 27 PSI max
Syntheic 5w40 oil used every oil change 2500 interval
93 oct used

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Welcome to the forum. Sorry for the problem you're having.

Twice you were told low oil levels caused the problem. I can't say that true but just how often do you check your oil. You said you're changing oil every 2500 miles so it's difficult to believe low oil levels. Sounds more like the bearings are going bad in the turbo.

Do a compression check immediately. Have you ever noticed water in your oil when you look at the dipstick?

Is it white smoke or bluish? It's hard to tell the difference. Low oil level was easy enough to verify by checking the dipstick. Concerned also that there is a blown head gasket but a compression test will verify.

Do you have just an off the shelf stage 2 tune? Ask Sneeky what he thinks about the boost and tell him about the 2 blown turbos.

The compression test is most important first.

atimlow

Car(s)
2015 MK7 GTI

Twice you were told low oil levels caused the problem. I can't say that true but just how often do you check your oil. You said you're changing oil every 2500 miles so it's difficult to believe low oil levels. Sounds more like the bearings are going bad in the turbo.

Do a compression check immediately. Have you ever noticed water in your oil when you look at the dipstick?

Is it white smoke or bluish? It's hard to tell the difference. Low oil level was easy enough to verify by checking the dipstick. Concerned also that there is a blown head gasket but a compression test will verify.

Do you have just an off the shelf stage 2 tune? Ask Sneeky what he thinks about the boost and tell him about the 2 blown turbos.

Thank you so much for the response.

I believe this is a custome tune, as I also purchased a E85 custom tune (he did not offer E85 ots tune at the time) so I just selected the dual map $50 add on for pump gas.

I will for sure message Sneeky. Interesting thing is, I got the turbo replaced last week Wednesday (2nd time), and I check my dip stick today and it’s at half….. no hard driving, no pulls, just super calm driving as we’ve had terrible snow.

The white smoke is super thick and doesn’t seem to have any blue tint to it. When I was broken down on the side of the road and the car was off, I had checked the dip stick and it read like 1/4th I think. But there was white smoke coming out of the little hole where you pull the dip stick out while I was checking the oil.

not sure how to do a compression test, is that something I do myself or bring to dealer to do?

shovelhd

Autocross Champion
I don't think you learned the right lesson. It's not that driving the car with low oil levels is bad. It should have been that white smoke was pouring out of your tailpipe and you ignored it. Stop doing that. Listen to your car when it's screaming "problem" at you.

I agree with Diggs. Replace the PCV. It's easy and cheap. Start there. I would also change the plugs. While you are doing this, do a compression test. The tool set (you'll need a set with the extension pipe, not a long rubber tube) is cheap and the test easy to run. If all of your cylinders are within 5psi your block and head are most likely ok.

If you don't know how, or don't want to do these things, find a good independent mechanic to do them for you.

atimlow

Car(s)
2015 MK7 GTI

I believe this is a custome tune, as I also purchased a E85 custom tune (he did not offer E85 ots tune at the time) so I just selected the dual map $50 add on for pump gas.

I will for sure message Sneeky. Interesting thing is, I got the turbo replaced last week Wednesday (2nd time), and I check my dip stick today and it’s at half….. no hard driving, no pulls, just super calm driving as we’ve had terrible snow.

The white smoke is super thick and doesn’t seem to have any blue tint to it. When I was broken down on the side of the road and the car was off, I had checked the dip stick and it read like 1/4th I think. But there was white smoke coming out of the little hole where you pull the dip stick out while I was checking

not sure how to do a compression test, is that something I do myself or bring to dealer to do?
I don't think you learned the right lesson. It's not that driving the car with low oil levels is bad. It should have been that white smoke was pouring out of your tailpipe and you ignored it. Stop doing that. Listen to your car when it's screaming "problem" at you.

I agree with Diggs. Replace the PCV. It's easy and cheap. Start there. I would also change the plugs. While you are doing this, do a compression test. The tool set (you'll need a set with the extension pipe, not a long rubber tube) is cheap and the test easy to run. If all of your cylinders are within 5psi your block and head are most likely ok.

If you don't know how, or don't want to do these things, find a good independent mechanic to do them for you.
I appreciate you response and input. is there a package i should be looking for for the PCV? or just look up PCV oem replacement mk7 gti online and just got with something off ecs tuning. And sounds good, Im sure It would be good to learn on my own how to do compression test.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG

The white smoke is super thick and doesn’t seem to have any blue tint to it. When I was broken down on the side of the road and the car was off, I had checked the dip stick and it read like 1/4th I think. But there was white smoke coming out of the little hole where you pull the dip stick out while I was checking

I appreciate you response and input. is there a package i should be looking for for the PCV? or just look up PCV oem replacement mk7 gti online and just got with something off ecs tuning. And sounds good, Im sure It would be good to learn on my own how to do compression test.
It sounds like a bad PCV or blown head gasket. Right above your post there is a video on how to do a compression test. You can just get a PCV locally the fastest. I wouldn't be driving it in this condition.

shovelhd

Autocross Champion
I would stick with a late version OEM. The part number should be on the existing part. Some of the earlier revisions didn't work so well with tunes. Start with this. If the smoking stops, then replace the plugs and you're done. If not, then further diagnosis is needed. A compression test or better yet a leakdown test would be the next step. You gotta get to the root cause of the smoking.