GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Blind Spot Monitoring Retrofit Help

Fraysa

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 MK7 1.4TSI
Hey everyone,

My driver side glass fell off while driving the other day - I think what happened is that because the previous owner lived in a very hot area, the glue slowly separated from the plate causing it to fall off.

I've put replacement (non-genuine) glass for now, but I figured if I want to buy OEM again I'd buy the BSM glass and retrofit the BSM feature.

Reading through the forums, it seems like a pretty straight forward retrofit: mounting the radars on each side after removing the rear bumper and routing the wires to the BCM. However, it seems like everyone is skipping the part of actually wiring the glass mirror.

What is so hard about wiring the mirror? I have factory folding mirrors and I wouldn't mind wiring two or three more wires to the existing harness.

Is there any information regarding this someone can share?

Thanks.

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
Hey everyone,

My driver side glass fell off while driving the other day - I think what happened is that because the previous owner lived in a very hot area, the glue slowly separated from the plate causing it to fall off.

I've put replacement (non-genuine) glass for now, but I figured if I want to buy OEM again I'd buy the BSM glass and retrofit the BSM feature.

Reading through the forums, it seems like a pretty straight forward retrofit: mounting the radars on each side after removing the rear bumper and routing the wires to the BCM. However, it seems like everyone is skipping the part of actually wiring the glass mirror.

What is so hard about wiring the mirror? I have factory folding mirrors and I wouldn't mind wiring two or three more wires to the existing harness.

Is there any information regarding this someone can share?

Thanks.
It's usually caused by overusing the mirror heating.. happens a lot over here in the UK!

The wires don't go to the BCM, but other than that you've hit the nail on the head. Radars behind rear bumper, loom runs to both doors, fusebox, and a CAN connection at the TIUL.

Its a bitch to get new wires into the mirrors without breaking something; there's absolutely no clearance. Trust me, I know; I've done it..

Fraysa

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 MK7 1.4TSI
It's usually caused by overusing the mirror heating.. happens a lot over here in the UK!

The wires don't go to the BCM, but other than that you've hit the nail on the head. Radars behind rear bumper, loom runs to both doors, fusebox, and a CAN connection at the TIUL.

Its a bitch to get new wires into the mirrors without breaking something; there's absolutely no clearance. Trust me, I know; I've done it..

Where exactly do they go in the mirror? Can you share more information about the connection? I think I’d still wanna tackle this. Did you get the AliExpress kit?

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
Where exactly do they go in the mirror? Can you share more information about the connection? I think I’d still wanna tackle this. Did you get the AliExpress kit?
Yes, I purchased the kit from DokiAuto (sorry! 🤣). The radars came pre parameterised and calibrated.

There's a small two pin connector that needs wiring through the door and up into the mirror housing to the glass itself. If you take the cover off your wing mirror, you should be able to see a channel in the steel where a thick cable harness runs. You need to squeeze this new cable there.

I ended up having to snip some of the plastic away

Fraysa

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 MK7 1.4TSI
Yes, I purchased the kit from DokiAuto (sorry! 🤣). The radars came pre parameterised and calibrated.

There's a small two pin connector that needs wiring through the door and up into the mirror housing to the glass itself. If you take the cover off your wing mirror, you should be able to see a channel in the steel where a thick cable harness runs. You need to squeeze this new cable there.

I ended up having to snip some of the plastic away

Thanks for the info, Tom. A few questions, hopefully you can answer:

1. Did the kit come with the required bolts?
2. How did you route the cable on the body of the car?
3. I understand the harness connects to the TIUL, which pins and which harness?
4. Where do you connect the harnesses on the mirror side? I guess one side goes from the kick panel to the door rubber and then the door card and the mirror, and the other one goes all the way to the right and then the same route?

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
Thanks for the info, Tom. A few questions, hopefully you can answer:

1. Did the kit come with the required bolts?
2. How did you route the cable on the body of the car?
3. I understand the harness connects to the TIUL, which pins and which harness?
4. Where do you connect the harnesses on the mirror side? I guess one side goes from the kick panel to the door rubber and then the door card and the mirror, and the other one goes all the way to the right and then the same route?
The brackets attach to the rear crash bar so there's already two bolts out of the three. Depending on your car, you may or may not have the stud for the third bolt (you just need a nut to thread on to the stud if it's there).
If no third stud, just glue the bracket to the body.

Cable runs through the grommet for parking sensors along the right hand side of the car, branches off to the right door, then behind the centre console to the left door, fusebox, and TIUL.

On the black plug of the TIUL there's two CAN wires that you can splice in to.

The harness is pinned through the door connectors and then directly to the mirror through the inside of the door itself.

Fraysa

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 MK7 1.4TSI
The brackets attach to the rear crash bar so there's already two bolts out of the three. Depending on your car, you may or may not have the stud for the third bolt (you just need a nut to thread on to the stud if it's there).
If no third stud, just glue the bracket to the body.

Cable runs through the grommet for parking sensors along the right hand side of the car, branches off to the right door, then behind the centre console to the left door, fusebox, and TIUL.

On the black plug of the TIUL there's two CAN wires that you can splice in to.

The harness is pinned through the door connectors and then directly to the mirror through the inside of the door itself.

I see. Sounds pretty straight forward then. I'm still wondering if I should tackle this.

Fraysa

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 MK7 1.4TSI
Straight forward until you hit the mirrors, which is why everyone always pussies out and puts some shoddy looking LEDs in the door card instead.

If it's do-able according to what you're saying, I don't mind trying.

Any info about pin numbers?

Fraysa

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 MK7 1.4TSI
Remind me, do you have the PDF for the wiring diagrams? I found the wire colours all matched perfectly so I just followed the diagrams.

I don't think I do. I can get them from erWIN but if you already have them then please PM me or upload here if you can, that'd save me 5 euros :D

Nuje

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 Sportwagen TDI
Any additional information on how you fed the BSM wires through the mirror assembly / hinge? I'm looking at it and struggling to come up with any kind of path through there (?).

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
Any additional information on how you fed the BSM wires through the mirror assembly / hinge? I'm looking at it and struggling to come up with any kind of path through there (?).
Drill a hole in an inconspicuous place is the easiest method. There's no clearance following OEM path.