GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Blew Exhaust Manifold - Turbo Gasket. Need advise for easiest replacement

Mosquito

Go Kart Newbie
Was looking at the Turbo to Manifold nut tightening specs doc and it is 25 Nm. Doesn't sound very tight at all.
My oil filter housing has been known to loosen up slowly and gradually under hard driving. I wonder if maybe all they need is re-torquing.

Would be much easier to do that, clean it up afterwards and check it again a couple of days later before going all-in into it.

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI

Mosquito

Go Kart Newbie
Update:

So I replaced the exhaust-turbo gasket yesterday.
Pretty straight forward job with the right tools, took a couple of hours taking my time.

For anybody who might need to do it in the future.
It is essentially the same as a turbo swap except did not need to disconnect any fluid hoses, only unbolted the top (oil?) hose from the center valve cover to give myself some slack.
Did not need to remove coil packs, coolant hard line or exhaust solenoids. Did not need a 2nd hand and was able to do it all from the top. Prepare your knees and back for a workout though.

Could not, did not try to remove the studs but did have to leverage the turbo back a bit, specially to clear the bottom two bolts since the bottom hard hoses offer limited slack.
Original gasket looked in OK shape, but was bare metal (no black coating) and was coated in oil (not good) Exhaust manifold, O2 and Turbo looked clean of oil residue. Bottom leaking bolts we looser than top bolts so it looks like they were somewhat loose regardless and a re-torque could have been all they needed. Nevertheless I was already there and new install is tightly bolted.

So far Idle is getting better, getting a bit less misfires (still dealing with somewhat of a N80 purge valve flow issue) and LTFTs are adjusting downward from 14%+ to around 8% so far. MPG is getting decent reading too.
In reality the leak was pretty small, but clearly the O2 sensor is very sensitive.

Mosquito

Go Kart Newbie
That's good, I'm glad. K04 swaps have turned into a real big headache for more than a few mk6 guys.

Give Aerokroil a try. It's worked better than PB Blaster in my experience. It also smells worryingly good.

F.Y.I.
Bought the Aerokroil. Amazing stuff.
30% of my time went to try to get out the 6 mm Allen upper turbo bolt & bracket which was nearly seized there. I spent a good hour on it.
I even had to go buy a 6 mm Allen socket to get more leverage and that didn't do it either. Then I remembered I had bought the Aerokroil just in case, so I put it on and it came out first try after.
Highly recommended.