GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Blew Downpipe off at full boil

Escape Hatch

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
So taking off at a light with an RS7 and we both gun it, 38 degrees out so not the best conditions for me. Red line 1st, hit second and boom. Smoke behind the car, smoke in the cabin and the car is loud. No EPC, only an ABS light. Limp it to the gym and pop the hood, downpipe popped off and appears some melting of the ABS wiring harness. I reset the ABS light and will see if the wiring is still good. Will get a new gasket and camp to see if it is salvage able, if not trackslag time.

20211201_081036.jpg
20211201_081133.jpg

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech
What mounts are you on?

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Holy harness melt! I bet you needed to change your shorts after hearing/seeing/smelling that!

Escape Hatch

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Update:

Reset the ABS light at the gym and limped home, love those turbo tractor noises. Anywho, ABS light did not come back.on and heard some clanging pulling into my cul de sac and assumed my downpipe was rattling on the subframe. Ran down to my local VW dealership and picked up a vband and installed it a moment ago.

Drove around to test it out and all is good, no lights, no nasty exhaust noises. As I pulled back into my cul de sac I noticed something laying in the street. Walked down to check it out after parking, low and behold my old vband but no bolt.... Weird none the less. Taped up the ABS harness and all is good.

Weird occurance for sure but I will tell you what went through my mind when it occurred. First,
"Well, there goes the motor." Secondly, "The wife did say if I blow it up I'll just need to build a new one." Once I told her what happened her response was, "It's time to buy a new car." Nah, not happening for a bit.

20211201_110627.jpg
20211201_110622.jpg
20211201_110812.jpg

Escape Hatch

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
GTI's shouldn't race from a dig.
They're fully capable of racing from I dig. I do it quite often, which was why my DKM clutch failed. Now that I have a true drag racing clutch, it's a lot easier to race from a dig. You need to get over the old mindset of FWD cars can't race from a dig.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
Ya the guy who helped me install my exhaust told me to get a new lock nut because the same thing happened to him