GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Blew 4th gear on my trans, 6spd manual DKM clutch

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
NLS never seemed like a good idea to me but to each their own. Sorry about the loss, I would just try to get a trans of a wrecked car if possible.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I used NLS in my STR prepped NC3. With 160 wtq, predictably I had no issues. 🤣

I decided to skip it on the GTI when getting the EQT tune. Glad I did.

Like someone said earlier, if you've got to replace the trans, now is the time for a real LSD. When you get lemons, make lemonade.

Alex MK7

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 GTI Autobahn
I used NLS in my STR prepped NC3. With 160 wtq, predictably I had no issues. 🤣

I decided to skip it on the GTI when getting the EQT tune. Glad I did.

Like someone said earlier, if you've got to replace the trans, now is the time for a real LSD. When you get lemons, make lemonade.
Is it possible to use a mk6 6spd trans? I would like to make any upgrades possible when doing this rebuild

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Is it possible to use a mk6 6spd trans? I would like to make any upgrades possible when doing this rebuild
I'm the wrong guy to ask that question, I just got back into the GTI game. I had mk1, mk2, mk3, Corrado VR6, a gap until 2018.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI

If anything, you’d be able to do a 7R 6MT which has similar gearing to a MK6 GTI. You’d need to scan the long coding of your transmission module and compare to another person’s to verify you have the same byte available as the Golf R 6MT byte. It’s not just as simple as bolting it up because it’s a manual.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
If anything, you’d be able to do a 7R 6MT which has similar gearing to a MK6 GTI. You’d need to scan the long coding of your transmission module and compare to another person’s to verify you have the same byte available as the Golf R 6MT byte. It’s not just as simple as bolting it up because it’s a manual.
Outside of the cruise control concern theory and the potential for the mdi to display incorrectly at the top and bottom of gearing windows and or affects if someone had a boost by gear tune.

Why else would they not work? Physically they are both 02Qs and I can confirm first hand that the Transmission module doesn’t connect or read anything from the internals of the trans.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
Outside of the cruise control concern theory and the potential for the mdi to display incorrectly at the top and bottom of gearing windows and or affects if someone had a boost by gear tune.

Why else would they not work? Physically they are both 02Qs and I can confirm first hand that the Transmission module doesn’t connect or read anything from the internals of the trans.

Honestly, I am not generally knowledgeable enough to speak to “why else they wouldn’t work.” Perhaps it’s totally kosher. Because I am not knowledgeable enough to say otherwise, I choose to err on the side of caution.

Would love someone else to try this stuff before I move ahead with my swap so I can learn from them :)))

Alex MK7

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 GTI Autobahn
I found a THV trans from a 2018 GTI with 36k on it for $1400 shipped. Would be a direct swap in. I will post pictures of the damage once I can get my car to the shop

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
I found a THV trans from a 2018 GTI with 36k on it for $1400 shipped. Would be a direct swap in. I will post pictures of the damage once I can get my car to the shop

Like others said above, definitely get a wavetrack while you’re at it if you can swing it!!!

Alex MK7

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 GTI Autobahn
Like others said above, definitely get a wavetrack while you’re at it if you can swing it!!!
If I got a Wavetrack or Pelequin LSD, would any tuning have to be done since the car thinks it has the Borg Warner eLSD? I definitely want to make any improvements I can while everything is apart.

launchd

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2023 M3LR, 2021 A7
If I got a Wavetrack or Pelequin LSD, would any tuning have to be done since the car thinks it has the Borg Warner eLSD? I definitely want to make any improvements I can while everything is apart.

No, they can both operate in tandem without any software modifications.

Alex MK7

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 GTI Autobahn
Update**

I found someone selling a 6spd trans with the eLSD box with 38k on it. His trans code is QUJ, mine is THV. I assume since both transmissions are performance pack, should bolt right up with no issues? Thanks for all the insight/help everyone chimed in

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
Update**

I found someone selling a 6spd trans with the eLSD box with 38k on it. His trans code is QUJ, mine is THV. I assume since both transmissions are performance pack, should bolt right up with no issues? Thanks for all the insight/help everyone chimed in
Let us know how things go after installing it.