GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Blew 4th gear on my trans, 6spd manual DKM clutch

Alex MK7

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 GTI Autobahn
What’s up guys, so I sheared my 4th gear yesterday doing some pulls. The car has a dkm twin disc clutch, in for around 15k miles. Lots of hard driving and WOT, also no lift shifts as of late lol. The car will go into 4th, but it just grinds like crazy and it won’t accelerate. Same goes for 6th gear, and won’t go in reverse. Car is a 2018 with the THV transmission, also has the Borg Warner eLSD. I’m wondering if anyone has done any swaps with other transmission codes, for example mk6 guys using Beetle trans for the longer gears etc. I’m guessing these 6spd manuals are just weak as my car is only pushing maybe 360whp. Buddy has a mk6 and blew 3 trans all in 4th gear, not sure if significant changes were made to the trans for the mk7.5. Checking my options now, thanks

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
So you definitely won’t be able to drop a trans from a MK6/PQ35 vehicle. You’d need to scan the long coding in your transmission module using VCDS and get another person with a like-model year, but different transmission (I.e. Golf R trans) to see if they contain the same bytes. If the other car’s selected byte is also available in your long Coding, you can code your car for that trans. If the byte isn’t identical, swap at your own risk.

For example, it is a common issue for Golf 5MT’s 3rd gears to blow. They can swap a Golf Sportwagen 4Motion 6MT in as that’s available in the long coding for the 1.8/IS12 models.

Similarly, Alltracks have the same ECM as GTIs and R’s so Alltracks can swap Golf R trans in for shorter gears (I am doing this on my Alltrack)

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
I wouldn’t say the transmissions are weak. Maybe it’s your driving habits.

Alex MK7

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 GTI Autobahn
So you definitely won’t be able to drop a trans from a MK6/PQ35 vehicle. You’d need to scan the long coding in your transmission module using VCDS and get another person with a like-model year, but different transmission (I.e. Golf R trans) to see if they contain the same bytes. If the other car’s selected byte is also available in your long Coding, you can code your car for that trans. If the byte isn’t identical, swap at your own risk.

For example, it is a common issue for Golf 5MT’s 3rd gears to blow. They can swap a Golf Sportwagen 4Motion 6MT in as that’s available in the long coding for the 1.8/IS12 models.

Similarly, Alltracks have the same ECM as GTIs and R’s so Alltracks can swap Golf R trans in for shorter gears (I am doing this on my Alltrack)
I will take a look at the coding, most used trans I’ve seen are around $1400 coming from GTIs

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
I wouldn’t say the transmissions are weak. Maybe it’s your driving habits.

Those no lift shifts certainly didn't help.

I've been no lift shifting my OEM transmission and it broke. Maybe the transmissions are just weak? :oops:
Yup ☝️☝️☝️

Also let not forgot... the DKM twin design is not at all mindful of drivetrain shock protection, a DMFs design was not just for “comfort and reduced vibration”

It’s there to protect the transmission for drivetrain shock on hard shifts / regular shifts.

Typically when you go SMF your disc will now atleast be sprung to help with that shock, but the DKM design have Zero form of spring dampening...(many other twin disc clutch’s across platforms will at least spring 1 of the discs, and even on line pics of dkm twins for other cars has the flywheel disc sprung)

Honestly I regret buying this clutch soo much, lol.

Alex MK7

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 GTI Autobahn
Yup ☝️☝️☝️

Also let not forgot... the DKM twin design is not at all mindful of drivetrain shock protection, a DMFs design was not just for “comfort and reduced vibration”

It’s there to protect the transmission for drivetrain shock on hard shifts / regular shifts.

Typically when you go SMF your disc will now atleast be sprung to help with that shock, but the DKM design have Zero form of spring dampening...(many other twin disc clutch’s across platforms will at least spring 1 of the discs, and even on line pics of dkm twins for other cars has the flywheel disc sprung)

Honestly I regret buying this clutch soo much, lol.

My clutch has been performing fine with no hiccups whatsoever. I’m assuming all the no lift shifting was too much for the trans to handle. Sucks it happened as I’m right in the middle of pro tuning the car and sending data logs lol.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
My clutch has been performing fine with no hiccups whatsoever. I’m assuming all the no lift shifting was too much for the trans to handle. Sucks it happened as I’m right in the middle of pro tuning the car and sending data logs lol.
I didn’t say it doesn’t perform “fine”

I said the design causes excessive drivetrain shock... and well this thread explains that theory.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
I didn’t say it doesn’t perform “fine”

I said the design causes excessive drivetrain shock... and well this thread explains that theory.
Yeah the force has to go somewhere. On a AWD car it's even worse. I almost always "granny quick shift" when driving it hard because it feels terrible just banging the gears. Something has to give.. And as OP says, you pay to play.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny