GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Black Plastic Sunroof Panel Replacement/Fix

dReAdLoK

Passed Driver's Ed
I’m not sure if this is the right place to post or not.

Does anyone know anything about the install for the panel assembly on the roof? The part # is 5G6877059. I’m not talking about the actual sunroof or the frame. I’m talking about the glass looking piece, that I think is fiberglass or whatever. It runs down the sides of the glass for the sunroof and along the front, between the windshield and the sunroof glass.

I had something hit my windshield, then went up to the panel on top. Getting my windshield replaced now, but that panel piece is hard to get any clear info on.

Does anyone know if I can just replace that panel, without removing the sunroof glass, frame, headliner and windshield? I can buy just the plastic panel as one piece from VW. But out of everyone I’ve talked to, only two people think they know how it works. Both are service managers at dealerships. They tell me it’s a big ordeal that a ass company has to get called for. They then tell me that I have to buy the entire sunroof assembly, frame and all.

If that is the case, why would they sell just the black panel, that is cracked? It makes no sense why VW would glue a fiberglass panel to the car and require such intense labor just to replace it. I don’t get it. I can’t find anything online about this part or what it takes to replace it.

From what I understand, it’s all cosmetic. It won’t hurt anything if it rains at all. So, I’m not worried about function or anything. Just the wound I can see. I have read of one instance where someone had stress cracks on their panel and they just got it covered with a wrap. If I need to, I can do that, but I would like the crack at least filled and molded to where the vinyl wouldn’t get punctured if something hit it. I don’t mind doing that. But, I will not have my car torn apart and re epoxied just for a plastic/fiberglass panel.

Does anyone have any idea about this at all? I just don’t trust a dealer. And my body shop has no idea how to go about it.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SM075180

Ready to race!
I had issues with my trim piece that ended up in a lemon law replacement.

The dealership attempted for more than a month to repair mine and underlying structures through a body shop. To do so they had yanked the back seat, headliner, windshield and seals from the car. I chose to visit the car a couple times through the process, as I felt my service rep was being skillfully avoidant of key questions and each time the guys at the body shop continued to get more “real” about how they didn’t really love that they were about to give it back to me the way it was “fixed”

Now if yours is damaged from an impact of some sort I don’t know how similar the story may go.

Let me know if you think there’s any specifics I could give that might help you out. I think I’ve got a few photos floating around or might be able to look at some paperwork for part numbers, etc. if you might need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Wastegate13

Autocross Champion
There is a bulletin for this trim piece asthe original adhesive they used tends to fail like what they used the rear spoiler wings. My fiance's 15 golf was repaired under warranty and unfortunately my car is now showing signs of the adhesive failing. When her car was repaired the body shop broke her windshield attempting to remove it. I'm out of bumper to bumper warranty so I'm going to contact VW about some Goodwill assistance.

jayk12

Ready to race!
Design flaw

The piece that you're asking about is a significant undertaking to replace. I know this because mine cracked on the front corner. It's made of plastic and according to my dealer, it's a design flaw that VW has apparently corrected on the most recent models. I'm still not certain how it happened and my car was 3k miles out of warranty when I discovered the crack, but my dealership replaced it for me on VW's dime! Here is the bad part, they had to completely dismantle the front half of my roof. That included removing all of the interior ceiling components, cutting sections of the roof and removing these pieces, including the sunroof. They estimated it would take 1-2 weeks but they ran into issues and I was without my car for 5 weeks! I can't imagine what it would have cost out of pocket. If you want the piece replaced correctly, expect it to be time consuming and expensive.

jayk12

Ready to race!
I wish I would have taken photos of mine but it was sent to a body shop to be properly repaired. Apparently this is becoming a common issue on our cars.
I had issues with my trim piece that ended up in a lemon law replacement.

The dealership attempted for more than a month to repair mine and underlying structures through a body shop. To do so they had yanked the back seat, headliner, windshield and seals from the car. I chose to visit the car a couple times through the process, as I felt my service rep was being skillfully avoidant of key questions and each time the guys at the body shop continued to get more “real” about how they didn’t really love that they were about to give it back to me the way it was “fixed”

Now if yours is damaged from an impact of some sort I don’t know how similar the story may go.

Let me know if you think there’s any specifics I could give that might help you out. I think I’ve got a few photos floating around or might be able to look at some paperwork for part numbers, etc. if you might need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Florent

Hello man. Im very stressed out its 4 am where i live i cant sleep due to similar problem. I have a similar crack and i dont want to replace it as i have heard its a big problem, im scared of leaks . What have you done in your case and has it leaked please help me out

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Hello man. Im very stressed out its 4 am where i live i cant sleep due to similar problem. I have a similar crack and i dont want to replace it as i have heard its a big problem, im scared of leaks . What have you done in your case and has it leaked please help me out

First of all welcome to the forum. The thread you responded to is a year and a half old so hopefully someone will see your question and respond. If they don't in a few days just post a new thread.

AquaTone61

Car(s)
2015 GTI SE DSG
I have had the same piece replaced on my '15. It was a big hassle. No out of pocket because it was covered under CPO. In my case, the seal was starting to crumble apart on the surround and the glass panel. Because of the crumbling seal, I got a new glass panel. My sunroof cassette had to be replaced at the same time because it developed a crack in the passenger front corner of the plastic tray for the sunroof and was leaking out of the passenger visor area. Normally, if a sunroof assembly has to be replaced, the glass gets swapped over.

The sunroof cassette and this piece are bonded to the roof like a windshield is. Safelight had to come out and cut the sunroof out of the car just like a windshield. From what I was told, removing the trim breaks it because it is glued on. They did have to remove my windshield and re seal it because at some point it was replaced and not installed 100% even. They couldn't put the trim on because it hit the windshield on one side. You may not have that issue but it is something that my dealer had seen before.

I frankly don't know if you can replace the trim without removing anything else. I will say that your body shop is going to know less about it than your dealer.