GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Black Friday deal opinion: Michelin vs. Contis

What black Friday deal would you go with?

• 235 Conti DWS06: $836

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • 225 Michelin PS AS4: $767

Votes: 18 81.8%

• Total voters

bobloblawGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE 6MT
I know the subject has been beaten to death, but as with many of us I'm between the Michelin PS AS4's and the Conti DWS06. Both are on sale today/this weekend with some deals, but there's a wrinkle: I'd like to move up to 235s (from the stock 225 Bridgestones) but they are 1) more expensive, and 2) out of stock at Costco which has the best deal right now ($150 cash back on Michelins vs. $70 for the Contis from Discount Tire/Tire Rack) So... which would you do?

235 Conti DWS06 @ Discount Tire: $836
225 Michelin PS AS4 @ Costco: $767

(All prices are inclusive of discounts, installation, tax, etc.) Generally I lean towards comfort over performance which I understand the Contis tend to be better on, but everyone raves about both so figure you probably can't go wrong either way.

Last edited:

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Michelins. I’ve run both on my previous car and the Contis were too soft. Comfy, but compromised the sporty handling. The Michelins nicely balance comfort and handling.

The grip difference from going to 235’s is almost negligible IMO.

kevinkar

Drag Racing Champion
In my opinion, it's up to the tire you like better as both are fine. I chose Continental Extreme Contact Sports recently for my 2018 R and paid $260 each not including everything else. So these are decent prices.

mac340

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI SE 6MT
Every test I have seen has the AS4s as a better tire. I just ordered some from Costco also since its winter and I have PS 4s on now.

bobloblawGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE 6MT
Yes. Online is fulfilled by the vendor. In store they also have access to B2B so they may be able to get them from a local source.
You were 100% right, they said they can source the 235 PSAS4s from a local vendor; $224/tire. So now we have a third option in the mix! I honestly might do that given how much folks seem to prefer the Michelins. Thanks all!

scrllock

Autocross Champion
DWS06+ are a straight upgrade over DWS06 in terms of comfort and snow grip, but the sidewalls are still so soft you feel like they're going to roll off the tire in corners. It's not a pleasant feeling.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
DWS06+ are a straight upgrade over DWS06 in terms of comfort and snow grip, but the sidewalls are still so soft you feel like they're going to roll off the tire in corners. It's not a pleasant feeling.
Yup Im having the same experience. I find I need to put more psi in to the tires to regain some steering feel, but it's still vague at higher loads. They have yet to really give up on me, but they don't inspire confidence.

MSchott

Go Kart Newbie
I have 235/40-18 AS4’s and they are great tires. They are better than the AS3+ I used to run in snow but soon I will switch them out to my Blizzaks for the winter. But that may be off topic for this discussion.