GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Biodiesel in Diesel

Just a quick question in relation to UK fuel. I tend to buy my diesel from Morrison's which has 7% biodiesel however VW's guidance is only up to 5%. So does anyone know what % other garages have ? Asda, Esso, Shell etc ?

I don't want to start any discussion about supermarket fuels though !!

fatnslow1

Passed Driver's Ed
Don't know the %s , but branded pump diesel usually has a higher cetane level than supermarket derv. Try some 'super diesel' from esso or bp every now and then....the difference is quite eye opening.

Virtually any Diesel fuel in most European countries has 7 % bio content.
I would prefer to not have it, since I think making food to fuel is mad, but
technically tiny 7 % is no issue at all.

BlueHen

Drag Race Newbie
You mean like we do in the U.S.?

Shhhhh. Rich corn farmers in Iowa depend on us to burn 10% ethanol in our tanks.

But yeah, that mess needs to go away. As long as Iowa is the first caucus in every presidential primary, though, that gravy train ain't going away.

acoustic

Passed Driver's Ed
Don't know the %s , but branded pump diesel usually has a higher cetane level than supermarket derv. Try some 'super diesel' from esso or bp every now and then....the difference is quite eye opening.

Tried some of this from BP recently. Absolutely no difference whatsoever (other than to my wallet). Super unleaded did used to make a noticeable difference to my old GTI though. Not so much with the GTD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hobby55

Ready to race!
Petrol is different in that Super Unleaded has a higher octane rating to ordinary unleaded (98 vs 95), that's why it would show a difference, in the very old days performance cars had to use 101!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating

With diesel it's all pretty much the same stuff, just the "additives" they stick in them and then charge extra for. As Acoustic says for most diesel cars there is no difference to performance except for the slight weight loss from your wallet! For the 1.6TDi 105 I'd just use whatever is cheapest, forget any extra additives as even Supermarket fuel already has them...

I've been using Supermarket (Sainsburys) fuel for my last few fill-ups as its the cheapest and have not seen any difference to the Shell stuff I used before.

I've been reading all different reviews re supermarket fuel compared to Shell, Esso etc but there's always different opinions. My local garage is Shell and way overpriced at 112.9 per litre. Next nearest is Asda and Morrisons both at 106.7, have to say due to where I'm employed I tend to go to Morrisons as I also get points which is better than nothing. Can't say for sure i've ever noticed a difference in performance or MPG!

Was going to order some Millers but if people don't think the additives are necessary might not bother:)

Petrol is different in that Super Unleaded has a higher octane rating to ordinary unleaded (98 vs 95), that's why it would show a difference, in the very old days performance cars had to use 101!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating

With diesel it's all pretty much the same stuff, just the "additives" they stick in them and then charge extra for. As Acoustic says for most diesel cars there is no difference to performance except for the slight weight loss from your wallet! For the 1.6TDi 105 I'd just use whatever is cheapest, forget any extra additives as even Supermarket fuel already has them...

I've been using Supermarket (Sainsburys) fuel for my last few fill-ups as its the cheapest and have not seen any difference to the Shell stuff I used before.

Tried some of this from BP recently. Absolutely no difference whatsoever (other than to my wallet). Super unleaded did used to make a noticeable difference to my old GTI though. Not so much with the GTD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never tried it, always just the standard diesel. I do get poor MPG, probably down to my heavy aftermarket alloy wheels though :(

Hobby55

Ready to race!
Or heavy right foot?

I'm getting nearly 55 over 24k so far with the same engine and DSG 'box, with best of over 60 and worst of about 52. I use Fuelly to monitor it so know the figures can be trusted unlike "brim to brim" or the vehicle computer. I do a daily commute into the centre of Brum every 4 days and the rest is pottering around here and long distance hols in Germany!

I use an additive in my classic because it won't run on unleaded but have never see the point with my diesels, any gain is subjective and often "in the mind" of the driver rather than scientifically proven...

More important is how you drive the car which can affect the MPG and the state of the engine much more than any additive can.

Lol, not a heavy right foot. I only tend to drive to and from work on A and B roads, around 20 miles in total per day and average 45mpg

Or heavy right foot?

I'm getting nearly 55 over 24k so far with the same engine and DSG 'box, with best of over 60 and worst of about 52. I use Fuelly to monitor it so know the figures can be trusted unlike "brim to brim" or the vehicle computer. I do a daily commute into the centre of Brum every 4 days and the rest is pottering around here and long distance hols in Germany!

I use an additive in my classic because it won't run on unleaded but have never see the point with my diesels, any gain is subjective and often "in the mind" of the driver rather than scientifically proven...

More important is how you drive the car which can affect the MPG and the state of the engine much more than any additive can.