GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Bilstein B8 Strut + Shock Upgrade Dust Boot Help!

six.k

Car(s)
16' GTI DSG EQT
So I've been running VWR lowering springs with stock struts and shocks for the past 15K miles and very early on the front struts started creaking and bottoming out more and more.
I've finally scrounged enough to upgrade both the struts and shocks to Bilstein B8s but noticed that the new parts didn't come with dust covers or boots.

When I installed the VWR Springs I noticed my boots were torn up so I removed them. I've read lots of places to use the old dust covers on the new struts but what do i do if i don't have the old ones?
I looked everywhere for a replacement but couldn't assure myself the sizing was correct. Is it even necessary to have them if I live in SoCal? Some part of me thinks my struts failed due to not having the covers on but I wont know till i take them off. I've also read of people running into the same problems with VWR Springs + stock struts and shocks.

Anyway, excited to install the B8s in just need to know where i can get b8 appropriate dust cover/ bellows/ boots and would appreciate a tip!

kep

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
If you can source some dust covers, you might as well use them. However, Bilsteins are bullet proof; and you should be fine (especially in socal).

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Look up the install pdf for your shocks/struts on Bilstein site. It'll show the strut hardware build up and specify the hardware/parts that should be reused. That'll leave no question about what should be installed.

Dust boots are cheap and I would bet a dealer local to you has them in stock if you don't want to wait on shipping just to save a small amount of money. Peace of mind is worth a lot with suspension, re-doing any of it is a pita, in my learned opinion.