GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Bilstein B8 Shock VS stock absorber

ckf80

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi,

I would like to seek for advise about suspension upgrade

My Golf gti mk7 DSG version currently just done with stage 1 remap with 284 PS and 437 NM torque engine output.
My car come with non DCC package means no electronic damper selection available

after remap to stage 1 i found my stock suspension too soft when the power kick in during accelerate or maybe my stock suspension started to worn out too.

Currently i am considering

- Bilstein B8 pair with H&R lower spring
- BC V1 Racing coilover

This my daily car with most of the time city drive and highway drive. i am non track fans. Once a while speed on highway with safety issue come first :p

Hope to hear some suggestion about the upgrade i considering for my current engine output.

Thanks

Cptnjosh

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Sport
I am not sure what the roads are like in Maylasia, but both of the options you listed would most likely ride fairly rough. They would solve the issue of squat when accellerating, but they you would be compromising your ride quality. If your not tracking your car, a less aggressive setup will ride better and improve the handling performance.

Here are a few options that seem to ride and perform well at the same time:

H&R OE Sports with Bilstein B8 or Koni Yellows
KW Street Comfort Coilovers
MSS Standard Sport kit, with your OE shocks
034 Dynamic Plus Springs with OE schocks or B8

There are endless options but you need to be careful on this platform not to lower too much, to retain suspension travel. 15mm to 25mm seems like the sweetspot.

I run the MSS Standard Sport kit with OE shocks. I have been very pleased with the ride and handling. Not the best value though. The KW Street Comfort Coilover is probably the best bet for a perfectly matched setup that rides confortably and performs well.

Do some research on this forum to gain further insight. Good luck!

BananaSlug

Ready to race!
I have B8 with Eibach springs and it only rides slightly rougher than stock. I DD my car and even with how shitty the roads are in San Antonio, I haven't had any issues with this setup.

ckf80

Passed Driver's Ed
I have B8 with Eibach springs and it only rides slightly rougher than stock. I DD my car and even with how shitty the roads are in San Antonio, I haven't had any issues with this setup.

Your car with stage 3 map ?

if yes the B8 + Eibach spring set up able to give u confident during high speed drive or the car will feel unstable during lane exchange in highway ?

Thanks

ckf80

Passed Driver's Ed
I am not sure what the roads are like in Maylasia, but both of the options you listed would most likely ride fairly rough. They would solve the issue of squat when accellerating, but they you would be compromising your ride quality. If your not tracking your car, a less aggressive setup will ride better and improve the handling performance.

Here are a few options that seem to ride and perform well at the same time:

H&R OE Sports with Bilstein B8 or Koni Yellows
KW Street Comfort Coilovers
MSS Standard Sport kit, with your OE shocks
034 Dynamic Plus Springs with OE schocks or B8

There are endless options but you need to be careful on this platform not to lower too much, to retain suspension travel. 15mm to 25mm seems like the sweetspot.

I run the MSS Standard Sport kit with OE shocks. I have been very pleased with the ride and handling. Not the best value though. The KW Street Comfort Coilover is probably the best bet for a perfectly matched setup that rides confortably and performs well.

Do some research on this forum to gain further insight. Good luck!

Thanks for the feedback seems like lower spring + OE shock / B8 is enough to hold my current engine output. My concern to upgrade the suspension is to improve handling and prevent the unstable feeling during high way speed.

BananaSlug

Ready to race!
Your car with stage 3 map ?

if yes the B8 + Eibach spring set up able to give u confident during high speed drive or the car will feel unstable during lane exchange in highway ?

Thanks

Yes I have the Cobb Stage 3 OTS tune. My car has never felt unstable during lane changes on the highway even when I had the stock suspension.

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
This should be in the suspension sub forum.

To answer your question:

1) Stiffer mounts including dogbone

2) Stickier rubber

Changing dampers won’t help ya.