GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Bilstein B6 suspension & chasis rebuild

RudyH

Go Kart Champion
I think I am pretty much sold on the B6's...I wish I could get the B8's /w Damptronic, but I found the MSS Springs don't lower the car really at all, compared to the EMD's they replaced lol, so I think the B6's will likely still be fine. The whole replace the MSS Spring with some Eibach's seem to be the only thing I would do if I go fixed though without totally screwing up the spring / shock combos.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I came from stock Golf suspension to B6 Damptronics (though I had other shock/spring combos mixed in as well) and I echo what @Al_in_Philly about evenly spaced expansion joints and/or support beams. Lots of those sections on the highway where I am and it always sucked. On stock Golf suspension, which is very soft, it was just bobbing up and down. Not harsh in any way but not comfortable. Lowering springs with stock shocks/struts was sh!t, as expected. Then B8's with lowering springs... better control but too harsh for me. I drive in Comfort 99% of the time, then Normal in the canyons, and Sport for smooth sections of Angeles Crest Highway/Big Tujunga.

Interestingly putting the car in Eco mode sets DCC to Normal. I don't push the limits of my car's grip/handling, at all, but I love this car in both Normal/Sport mode. Despite the higher ride height it's more composed and more compliant than my previous setups.

Al_in_Philly

Autocross Newbie
Bringing this back almost a year later. Would you all do it again if you had to?
Without blinking an eye. Almost daily I marvel at the amount of balance, grip, and road-feel I now have. Last week I was playing tag at "loose-your license" speed with a 911 Turbo on Kelly/Lincoln Drive in Philadelphia and he couldn't loose me in the corners. Maybe it was because I was outfitted with really good winter tires (Michelin Pilot Alpins) and it was cold on the ground, but still. . . Don't get me wrong, the box-stock Golf R is truly an excellent Jack-of-all-trades, and my suspension mods do slightly reduce the smoothness of the ride in the softest DCC settings, but it is now a better communicating car at any speed and a much, much, better handling car at the limit--and I still haven't found a place where I can actually find out how high those limits have risen. In short, it's still a total hoot to drive, albeit getting there wasn't cheap.

doctorGolfR

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK VII Golf R
Without blinking an eye. Almost daily I marvel at the amount of balance, grip, and road-feel I now have. Last week I was playing tag at "loose-your license" speed with a 911 Turbo on Kelly/Lincoln Drive in Philadelphia and he couldn't loose me in the corners. Maybe it was because I was outfitted with really good winter tires (Michelin Pilot Alpins) and it was cold on the ground, but still. . . Don't get me wrong, the box-stock Golf R is truly an excellent Jack-of-all-trades, and my suspension mods do slightly reduce the smoothness of the ride in the softest DCC settings, but it is now a better communicating car at any speed and a much, much, better handling car at the limit--and I still haven't found a place where I can actually find out how high those limits have risen. In short, it's still a total hoot to drive, albeit getting there wasn't cheap.

thank you for the update. I’m headed down a similar suspension upgrade pathway as you and have been on the fence about the B6 damptronics but I think I’m sold. I’ll have to report back after it’s all said and done, i.e. CSS knuckles, BFI RS3 style LCAs, H&R RSB and the damptronic. I’ve assembled all parts besides the latter.

Al_in_Philly

Autocross Newbie
thank you for the update. I’m headed down a similar suspension upgrade pathway as you and have been on the fence about the B6 damptronics but I think I’m sold. I’ll have to report back after it’s all said and done, i.e. CSS knuckles, BFI RS3 style LCAs, H&R RSB and the damptronic. I’ve assembled all parts besides the latter.
I hope you enjoy the changes to your R's handling qualities as much as I do with mine.

Al_in_Philly

Autocross Newbie
If you're going whole hog, as you seem to be doing, think about adding a strut tower brace and front subframe brace (unless you're already using the cast Audi subframe). Even though the MQB cahssis has very good torsional rigidity, stiffening up the front end a little bit more helps keep the McPherson struts to maintain the proper geometry and transmit more of the road back to the steering wheel. Adding those two pieces is pretty quick & easy to do and doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

Al_in_Philly

Autocross Newbie
Big thanks to @Al_in_Philly for the articulate review. Chasing the feel and performance of a Porsche for my R, so I really appreciate your efforts and perspective. Nice work!
I wouldn't go as far as to say that my R, or any R as far as that goes, can fully emulate a modern 911; but so far I haven't been able to find a curve on a public road where driving as fast as I dare and have to do ANY steering correction, or even feel like I might soon need to do so; it's now that neutral and planted. You also won't be able to swing the rear out like a Porsche is more than happy to do for you. Likely, on a track I'd see where the limits of my set-up are and they'd assuredly be far less than what a good 911 could pull; but then again, I was going for something really good handling with better steering feel on the street and not for the track.

Last edited:

Superfreak

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
‘19 M2C, ‘05 Taco
I wouldn't go as far as to say that my R, or any R as far as that goes, can fully emulate a modern 911; but so far I haven't been able to find a curve on a public road where driving as fast as I dare and have to do ANY steering correction, or even feel like I might soon need to do so; it's now that neutral and planted. You also won't be able to swing the rear out like a Porsche is more than happy to do for you. Likely, on a track I'd see where the limits of my set-up are and they'd assuredly be less than what a good 911 could pull; but then again, I was going for something really good handling with better steering feel on the street and not for the track.
I’ve tracked my r recently and even though I do have a couple suspension mods, there’s so much that I haven’t done yet. I was able to make time on a 997 Carerra and lapping within a few seconds of many high end p-cars. Of course I don’t think that I can ever get the same feel of a GT4, 911, etc, but I am confident that I can get nearly the same performance. Tons of variables but I do feel like I’m closer than I’d expect with a budget performance car.

doctorGolfR

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK VII Golf R
If you're going whole hog, as you seem to be doing, think about adding a strut tower brace and front subframe brace (unless you're already using the cast Audi subframe). Even though the MQB cahssis has very good torsional rigidity, stiffening up the front end a little bit more helps keep the McPherson struts to maintain the proper geometry and transmit more of the road back to the steering wheel. Adding those two pieces is pretty quick & easy to do and doesn't cost an arm and a leg.
I still have the stock steel subframe and didn’t have plans on changing it to the aluminum.

I assume you’re referring to the iSweep front subframe brace?

I recently grabbed a Eurocode rear upper chassis brace from a member on the forums now I’m looking for their FSTB, which I may end up just paying full price for since it seems to get great reviews and you’re also co-signing it.

HuntR

Go Kart Newbie
The B16 Damptronics were tested and found to only have adjustable rebound. Those running B4/B6 Damptronics (or stock DCC dampers for that matter) with lowering springs should run the DCC calibration. I run B4 Damptronics and I love them. I drive in Comfort 99% of the time. I typically put DCC in Normal, with everything else in Sport if I'm out in the canyons.

I'm in Los Angeles, FWIW, but I don't know how some of you can do Sport on city streets. Maybe I'm just too old spirited. I don't track but I can't do Sport on anything except new roads around here.
It’s been a while now…can you offer your thoughts regarding your B4’s vs stock Monroe DCC?

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
It’s been a while now…can you offer your thoughts regarding your B4’s vs stock Monroe DCC?
I retrofitted DCC on my car, did not have it from the factory so never had Monroe. The B4's are advertised as direct replacement for stock and I believe that. I suppose the Bilstein's could be better built than Monroe but I can't directly speak to that. They are supposed to feel like stock and this would be acceptable to me in a sport-y (but not sports) car like the GTI/R. I specifically did not want the reported (every mode is one step up) change from B6's. I needs my comfort.

Heck, if I can get my hands on the proper DCC module dataset from a Passat I'm going to enable the slider on the DCC settings page so I can set them even softer than Comfort mode, call it Comfort++ if you like.

GolfRRRR1

Go Kart Champion
Heck, if I can get my hands on the proper DCC module dataset from a Passat I'm going to enable the slider on the DCC settings page so I can set them even softer than Comfort mode, call it Comfort++ if you like.
What is this you speak of?