GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Bilstein B6 shocks on OEM springs?

GolfRchris

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Golf R
Hi there, I’ll cut to the chase.

I’m not wanting to lower the vehicle but I want to see if anyone has any personal experiences with the Bilstein shocks B6 on OEM springs as they class it as a slight upgrade than the stock units or bilstein B4 (classed as std replacement)

many thanks

up4speed

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI
I was also thinking about this same set up. I also wanted to maintain stock ride height & comfort, but wanted one notch better handling for the track.
I am also considering installing camber plates with a fixed -1.4 deg. camber at the same time.

I would also love to hear opinions on this.

GolfRchris

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Golf R
I am struggling to find this option as many just go straight to lowering. I’ve found that some coilovers even on the highest setting still lower the vehicle a min 10-20mm like kw. The only coilvers I have researched that you can still keep OEM height is Ohlins but they are extremely expensive and probs over kill. I’m still awaiting to hear people’s opinions on the Bilstein B6 shocks with OEM springs. I’m most intrigued about if they will pair well, given an oem spring with an uprated gas shock.

locness

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/bilstein-b6-with-stock-suspension.372428/

In this thread it says that b6 on an otherwise stock suspension slightly rose the ride height of the car. I believe if you're keeping stock springs that

Officially your options are: Bilstein b6 or Koni Special Active (previously sold as FSD)

If you google a bit there are people who have done Koni Sports (yellow) with stock spring but its not recommended by the company. You'll also have to fiddle with the dampening since they're adjustable.

If you just want plug and play then either b6 or koni special active.

Here is a review of the Koni special active. I haven't found any info on whether they make the ride height lower or higher but im leaning towards replacing my stock shocks/struts with them. Hopefully they don't increase the ride height. 🤞
https://www.reddit.com/r/GolfGTI/comments/jan6c3

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
It may be harder to find a wealth of examples when actively searching, but over the years I’ve read plenty B6/OEM spring reviews. Nearly everyone who chooses this option does so for basically the same reason: OEM height/utility, OEM design/fitment/quality, and OEM+ performance/comfort.

Nearly everyone who “takes the plunge,” has unanimously positive responses. As stated above, it does in some cases raise ride height .1-.25” at least temporarily while suspension settles/breaks in.

I will be installing Alltrack B6 on my Alltrack to retain the OEM “lift,” while curing the OEM dampers’ shortcomings.

If your Golf R has DCC and you get B6, make sure you get B6 Damptronics to retain your DCC functionality.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
In fact, one place MANY people are running Golf R B6 with Golf R springs, is the Golf Sportwagen VII / Jetta Sportwagen subforums on VWVortex. Since America didn’t get the R Estate, wagon lovers like me who understand the VW ecosystem buy GSW 4Motions and Alltracks and upgrade all their components to Golf R Estate spec. Pretty much everything can be done for ~$5-7K besides the differences in the head/bottom end between the 1.8 and the Golf R 2.0.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
...I also wanted to maintain stock ride height & comfort...
I am also considering installing camber plates with a fixed -1.4 deg. camber at the same time.

I would also love to hear opinions on this.
Speaking to your camber plate interest only...

I've run both 034 and SuperPro fixed plates. If you consider harshness (or lack thereof) part of comfort I would recommend against them. The harshness is significantly increased over stock. I also had un-livable low speed turning noise. I don't think it was an install issue (2 shops, the dealer and myself) but some say they don't have any noise while others say it's normal. Ignoring that, harshness was not stock-like. At all times I've run a lightweight 17" wheel setup so no concern that my harshness came from heavy/large wheels with low profile tires, haha.

For context I value comfort, highly, and ran 9+ suspension setups (combinations of stock/lowering springs, stock dampers/B6/8's, camber plates) in pursuit of keeping my comfort while adding "sportiness." Ultimately ended on DCC (retrofit) with B4 damptronics, stock GTI springs and Eurosport camber inserts.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
Speaking to your camber plate interest only...

I've run both 034 and SuperPro fixed plates. If you consider harshness (or lack thereof) part of comfort I would recommend against them. The harshness is significantly increased over stock. I also had un-livable low speed turning noise. I don't think it was an install issue (2 shops, the dealer and myself) but some say they don't have any noise while others say it's normal. Ignoring that, harshness was not stock-like. At all times I've run a lightweight 17" wheel setup so no concern that my harshness came from heavy/large wheels with low profile tires, haha.

For context I value comfort, highly, and ran 9+ suspension setups (combinations of stock/lowering springs, stock dampers/B6/8's, camber plates) in pursuit of keeping my comfort while adding "sportiness." Ultimately ended on DCC (retrofit) with B4 damptronics, stock GTI springs and Eurosport camber inserts.

this is the guy to talk to!

bfury5

Autocross Champion
I ran OEM springs on B6 dampers. As I've stated elsewhere, you get better handling without sacrificing ride height or OEM usability. I don't recall mine raising the car at all. Great replacement for OEM dampers

locness

I ran OEM springs on B6 dampers. As I've stated elsewhere, you get better handling without sacrificing ride height or OEM usability. I don't recall mine raising the car at all. Great replacement for OEM dampers
I'm still torn between Bilstein b6 or Koni Special Active. Seems like there's more reports out there of the b6 bilstein but the one post that says it raised the car slightly has me re-thinking it. The car is pretty much perfect height at stock imo. It could be just slllightly lower but if it goes any higher then its too high.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
I'm still torn between Bilstein b6 or Koni Special Active. Seems like there's more reports out there of the b6 bilstein but the one post that says it raised the car slightly has me re-thinking it. The car is pretty much perfect height at stock imo. It could be just slllightly lower but if it goes any higher then its too high.

You’re overthinking at that point. They’re just dampers. If they raise height at all it’s minimal and temporary.

just get the Bilsteins lol they’re an OEM, they make the best shit you can get for a German car IMO

locness

You’re overthinking at that point. They’re just dampers. If they raise height at all it’s minimal and temporary.

just get the Bilsteins lol they’re an OEM, they make the best shit you can get for a German car IMO
royalion posted updated pictures of his mk7 on b6+stock springs: https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/bilstein-b6-with-stock-suspension.372428/

I think you're right I'm just going to go with bilstein b6 on my stock springs. More people with german cars have them so they're tried and tested. If it does raise the car it'll only be by a few millimeters and I'll have to let it go because its really not worth the hassle.

OP, I think you have to decide if you're ok with a slightly stiffer ride(b6) or if you want a literal oe replacement (b4). If you do a quick google "b6 bilstein stock springs mk7 gti" you'll find a lot of people report that combo is the best ride comfort // handling for DD.

Coming from modding suspensions on hondas for years the closest thing I've done to this was Koni Yellow on stock springs on a civic and that passed the girlfriend test. I expect b6/stock springs combo on our mk7 gti to be similar. If you're replacing the stock shocks anyways, just go for the b6. Now finding the front ones in stock is a different matter.

Last edited:

locness

Finally put the bilsteins on with stock springs and to my surprise it rides better than stock. The best I can describe is that its more compliant over bumps and there is significant less body roll. This is how the car should've come stock. Didn't look like it lowered the car at all.

spessx

Ready to race!
Finally put the bilsteins on with stock springs and to my surprise it rides better than stock. The best I can describe is that its more compliant over bumps and there is significant less body roll. This is how the car should've come stock. Didn't look like it lowered the car at all.
Hi Locness

That's great to hear. I'm planning on doing the same thing to my 2016 Golf R (non DCC). Did the B6's raise your ride height?

Also, where are you located in TX? I'm in Austin.

-s