snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
I have seen that somewhere once.
here ya go:

Greg_mk7

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 golf R
Just got off the phone with eibach, the spring rates are definitely lower than oem. I was told 177 for the front and 234 for the rear, so a softer ride for sure. I think the kit is for aesthetics only as the numbers indicate, not really sure what everyone is feeling when they put this kit on and they say roll is reduced maybe placebo effect?
Not sure if anyone else knows of other springs that work with the b6 damptronic that are slight stiffer than oem but dont drop the car too much.
Dont know what kind of drop that these struts can handle. I know that they are the same as the ones used on the gti so on the R you are already technically on lowered springs.

Track R

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
R
Just got off the phone with eibach, the spring rates are definitely lower than oem. I was told 177 for the front and 234 for the rear, so a softer ride for sure. I think the kit is for aesthetics only as the numbers indicate, not really sure what everyone is feeling when they put this kit on and they say roll is reduced maybe placebo effect?
Not sure if anyone else knows of other springs that work with the b6 damptronic that are slight stiffer than oem but dont drop the car too much.
Dont know what kind of drop that these struts can handle. I know that they are the same as the ones used on the gti so on the R you are already technically on lowered springs.
https://www.st-suspensions.net/shop?c_make=121&c_model=10585&c_car=126007&pgs=164

Track R

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
R
Not sure if this helps but these are the measurements I took from my Golf R when it was new before I lowered it.

FACTORY RIDE HEIGHT
355MM CB to fender

FRONT BUMP TRAVEL

44mm-51mm

REAR BUMP TRAVEL

19mm-25mm

FRONT HEADLIGHT SENSOR ARM
119mm-121mm

Greg_mk7

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 golf R
Not sure if this helps but these are the measurements I took from my Golf R when it was new before I lowered it.

FACTORY RIDE HEIGHT
355MM CB to fender

FRONT BUMP TRAVEL
44mm-51mm

REAR BUMP TRAVEL
19mm-25mm

FRONT HEADLIGHT SENSOR ARM
119mm-121mm
Thanks
Are you on stock dampers,
How is the ride with these springs?

Track R

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
R
Thanks
Are you on stock dampers,
How is the ride with these springs?
I'm not on stock dampers or any springs just posting info

doctorGolfR

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK VII Golf R
I don’t think this is placebo effect. From scouring the internet, people have gotten different answers from Eibach about the spring rates for the linear pro kit for the Golf R. By the laws of physics, though, doesn’t lowering a car reduce the center of gravity and thus reduce body roll?

The car is visibly lower on the pro kit and truly dropped the front about 0.5” and the rear about 1” for me. I feel the difference, but again I did the new dampers at the same time so maybe it’s just the dampers. Nonetheless this thing rides like a dream on the street. I’m beyond impressed with the combo.

Greg_mk7

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 golf R
I contacted Bilstein to see if they could recommend a lowering spring for the b6 damptronic. The Bilstein rep said that these shocks were never tested with anything outside oem springs when they were developed and that they are not meant for lowering springs at all, even a minor one.
He said it will eventually degrade the performance of these struts and also void the warranty. Everyone that puts lowering springs on these struts is pretty much chancing it.
Think im just going to leave the oem springs, these struts were expensive.

Track R

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
R
I contacted Bilstein to see if they could recommend a lowering spring for the b6 damptronic. The Bilstein rep said that these shocks were never tested with anything outside oem springs when they were developed and that they are not meant for lowering springs at all, even a minor one.
He said it will eventually degrade the performance of these struts and also void the warranty. Everyone that puts lowering springs on these struts is pretty much chancing it.

The Golf R, Clubsport S, Clubsport 40th all. use the same springs which will give you a lil more drop then what you have now

Track R

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
R

doctorGolfR

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK VII Golf R
This is simply untrue. There’s documented conversations with reps confirming that the Eibach Pro Kit works extremely well with the B6 dampers. In fact, they sold this combo as a package in Europe for quite a while! I’ll find you all the data I’m referring to later this weekend. There’s also documented real-life experience of people using this combo for multiple tens of thousands of miles without issue.

I just don’t want someone searching to be deterred by misinformation. This is a tried and true combo. B6 tolerates minimal drop NO problem. B8 for drops 1.5” and beyond from my understanding.

I’m not telling you to use the springs either because staying OEM is fine, but for people who want a slightly lower center of gravity and some closure of wheel gap, these Pro Kits are the solution.

Greg_mk7

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 golf R
This is simply untrue. There’s documented conversations with reps confirming that the Eibach Pro Kit works extremely well with the B6 dampers. In fact, they sold this combo as a package in Europe for quite a while! I’ll find you all the data I’m referring to later this weekend. There’s also documented real-life experience of people using this combo for multiple tens of thousands of miles without issue.

I just don’t want someone searching to be deterred by misinformation. This is a tried and true combo. B6 tolerates minimal drop NO problem. B8 for drops 1.5” and beyond from my understanding.

I’m not telling you to use the springs either because staying OEM is fine, but for people who want a slightly lower center of gravity and some closure of wheel gap, these Pro Kits are the solution.
Im only saying what Bilstein told me, I understand that people have been using them for a while without issue and that very well may be the case, but the rep told me they were never designed to be used with lowering springs, not even a drop under 1”. If this were true then why in the non dcc struts do they make b8 and b6 if b6 worked with lowering springs. I would like to see that documented conversation with the rep if you can find it. Also who sold the kit in Europe that included lowering springs? Bilstein?

Last edited:

GolfRRRR1

Go Kart Champion
I personally talked to multiple Bilstein reps in person at SEMA (2017 and 2018) and they suggested and said quote: "Damptronic B6 dampers with Eibach Pro-Kit (Golf R) springs would be a perfect marriage." All that said, I'm probably going with B4 and H&R OE springs for my Golf R...maybe the B6's...we'll see.