GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Bilstein B4's on Alltrack

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
All -

I've spent plenty of time perusing these forums over the years and have read plenty on Koni vs. Bilstein for strut/shock upgrades (Special Active/Yellows, B6/B8), as well as plenty on H&R, ST, KW, Ohlins, etc for coilovers.

One thing I've seen mentioned zillions of times, but don't know if I've ever seen real reviews on, is the Bilstein B4. From my understanding, the B6 and B8 are the same damper, just the B6 is longer and works with stock springs, while B8 is shorter and specifically for lowering springs. And people say B4's are an "OEM+ upgrade." Well, OEM dampers suck lol. So how much of an upgrade are they? Do they last 100K miles as well?

I am interested in them because Bilstein made B4's specifically for the Alltrack that will pair with my OEM springs, and they are cheaper than B6's/B8's. I would just like some feedback from other owners with B4's, whether they're on an Alltrack or not. The more miles you've put on them, the better. I want to know how they wear.

Basically I want to know whether the money saved on the B4's and the overall quality/comfort/performance/longevity is "worth" it, over biting the bullet on the B6's. If the B4's last just as long, are more comfortable, AND improve performance, I want them. Otherwise, I'll just go with B6's and Golf R springs (or maybe even EQT coils, since those can be set to stock ride height).

Comfort + performance is huge to me. I don't track my car so I truly don't need "the best." I am very happy with the 22MM superpro RSB I added a few weeks back on otherwise stock suspension, so that should speak volumes to how picky i am about the performance part. As long as the performance is equal to, or greater than OEM, and the longevity is increased, I want them.

bfury5

Autocross Champion
The B6 are labeled as heavy duty, they likely have a different damping curve and are considered an upgrade in "sportiness". The B4 will be a step above OEM build quality (gas pressurized vs oil) but likely the same on comfort (some sites list the B4 as being 10% firmer than OEM, not sure how true that is). I also believe the B4 does not have an internal bumpstop but the B6 does.

Both will be higher quality / longevity compared to OEM.

Edit: I also think the B4 *might* be twin tube and the B6 is monotube, but I can't find a definite source to confirm.

SuperJ

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2018 sportwagen 4mo
I know this is an older thread, but it is frustrating to see every thread that asks about b4's turn into a b6/b8 discussion and mostly ignore that B4's exist.
I suspect that it's not that the b4 is a bad shock, it's just that you can get the B6 for not a lot more money (well the front struts are a lot more).
Would love to see some real world VW owner feedback. I'm basically a OEM+ daily driver high mileage commuter so the b4's sound good to me.
There are a lot of armchair guys on the internet (myself included), that see the "OEM" in the B4 description and immediately see it as not palatable and skip to the B6s.
I suspect if you're running stock springs the B4 would work great for a lot of people.

I was going to go with B6's like the masses, but scored a good FB marketplace deal on some new in box B4 struts. So I'm going to give them a whirl.
For other vehicles the B4's seems to be generally highly regarded but completely overshadowed by Bilstein's higher end offerings.
The BMW guys seem to think highly of the B4's as an excellent budget option (based on some actual reviews, not just reading Bilstein's marketing drivel), seems to give a nice damping upgrade (more control/less harshness than stock) without the debated harshness of it's higher pressure monotube big brothers (b6/8).

I am curious how the B4 struts will pair with Golf R springs on my 4Motion Sportwagen.
Bilstein lists the same rear shocks for models with drastically different rear spring rates. I'm not as concerned about the front since the difference in spring rates is not as drastic.
If it's an issue on the rear I'll switch to B6's and hopefully the front B4's struts will be fine.

SouthFL_Mk7.5

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
I had B4 on a B5.5 Passat wagon paired with H&R Sport springs. The setup was just “ok” but ultimately underdamped.
The whole car was a budget build (hence why I chose the B4 which advertised to be 10% firmer than stock)….but I’d try Koni STRT as an alternative.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
I know this is an older thread, but it is frustrating to see every thread that asks about b4's turn into a b6/b8 discussion and mostly ignore that B4's exist.
I suspect that it's not that the b4 is a bad shock, it's just that you can get the B6 for not a lot more money (well the front struts are a lot more).
Would love to see some real world VW owner feedback. I'm basically a OEM+ daily driver high mileage commuter so the b4's sound good to me.
There are a lot of armchair guys on the internet (myself included), that see the "OEM" in the B4 description and immediately see it as not palatable and skip to the B6s.
I suspect if you're running stock springs the B4 would work great for a lot of people.

I was going to go with B6's like the masses, but scored a good FB marketplace deal on some new in box B4 struts. So I'm going to give them a whirl.
For other vehicles the B4's seems to be generally highly regarded but completely overshadowed by Bilstein's higher end offerings.
The BMW guys seem to think highly of the B4's as an excellent budget option (based on some actual reviews, not just reading Bilstein's marketing drivel), seems to give a nice damping upgrade (more control/less harshness than stock) without the debated harshness of it's higher pressure monotube big brothers (b6/8).

I am curious how the B4 struts will pair with Golf R springs on my 4Motion Sportwagen.
Bilstein lists the same rear shocks for models with drastically different rear spring rates. I'm not as concerned about the front since the difference in spring rates is not as drastic.
If it's an issue on the rear I'll switch to B6's and hopefully the front B4's struts will be fine.

You know you need a knuckle upgrade for the 55mm Golf R B4? GSW 4Mo is 50mm knuckle.

One thing I’ve seen done is Front B4 + Rear B6. So that sounds like a good backup plan

htr

The b4 I’m sure is a decent damper , most would consider it an oem replacement . The b6 & b8 are a mono tube and would be an upgrade . Once you have a b6 or b8 actually in your hand the difference is obvious visually alone. Just the size of the shaft or piston rod or whatever it’s technically called is impressive compared to stock dampers or the b4. It all depends on what you’re after. If you want a decent replacement oe type shock that’s usually less expensive than oem vw shock I’m sure the b4 would work well. If you want a real upgrade that actually transforms the the car somewhat and makes it feel like a better car all around as well holds up very well for a long time. Longer than oem or an oe replacement . Go with the b6 or b8. Very very reliable. I know ride quality as far as stiffness can be very subjective, but imo and im not alone, the bilstein b6 b8 is a very good damper. Such a good controlled well sorted ride imo. Feels solid in a good way . Could go on and on but feel I’m babbling by now.

SuperJ

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2018 sportwagen 4mo
You know you need a knuckle upgrade for the 55mm Golf R B4? GSW 4Mo is 50mm knuckle.

One thing I’ve seen done is Front B4 + Rear B6. So that sounds like a good backup plan

My B4's are for 50mm (stock knuckles). I haven't installed them yet. Was thinking the MQB springs weren't knuckle diameter dependent. Can I run Golf R springs on the Sportwagen 50mm knuckles/b4 struts?
In the rear I'll probably go straight to B6's since they're not that much more and I want to avoid rebuying parts.

Last edited:

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
My B4's are for 50mm (stock knuckles). I haven't installed them yet. Was thinking the MQB springs weren't knuckle diameter dependent. Can I run Golf R springs on the Sportwagen 50mm knuckles/b4 struts?
In the rear I'll probably go straight to B6's since they're not that much more and I want to avoid rebuying parts.

Okay cool sounds like you know what you’re talking about. Great question - I do not know if the springs are cross comptible between the 50/55mm setups.

ksurl

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE DSG
I was under the impression b4 are stock mk7/7.5 gti dampers. is this incorrect?

khail19

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE
I was under the impression b4 are stock mk7/7.5 gti dampers. is this incorrect?

Not exactly stock, but the closest equivalent that Bilstein makes. Stock dampers are made by Sachs. From what I've read, the B4s are a bit firmer than stock in a good way.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
Not exactly stock, but the closest equivalent that Bilstein makes. Stock dampers are made by Sachs. From what I've read, the B4s are a bit firmer than stock in a good way.
correct.

10% firmer than stock, with rebound damping (which stock dampers lack). also generally higher quality construction. longevity, durability.

ksurl

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE DSG
I think i saw b4 marked as OE on fcpeuro so that's why the confusion. I am on b8's so it's all good.