GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Bilstein B14 knocking after install

JJ_MK7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI Autobahn
Would this distance Bilstein specifies for the adjustment range, does it get also measured from the pinch bolt to the B16 Damptronics blue spacer where the spring seats?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220327-134724_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20220327-134724_Drive.jpg
    380.5 KB · Views: 104

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Too much preload so no droop travel is my guess. Basically topping out. Height adjustment is accomplished by adjusting preload. More preload (higher the perch is adjusted) the less the car's suspension sags under its own weight and the higher the ride height. Bilsteins are not intended to be set that way. Highest ride height would still be lowered some to give proper droop and bump travel. Going too little pre-load (perch spun down too far) so spring is just pre-loaded enough to not move but then car sits low and you have eaten up too much of your bump travel and will be close.to.your jounce bumpers and have a bouncy ride. You will however have lots of droop/extension travel in that case. Remember the overall length of the strut/coilover up front are unchanged no matter where that perch is. Also remember that spring rate isn't impacted by preload....om a linear spring. These are progressive but really it's not changing the overall progressive rate within the adjustment range.

Last edited:
Reactions: kep

tigeo

Autocross Champion
There is no pre load on these coilovers they are bilstein b14 height adjustable only. And it’s a clunk/knock
The height is adjusted by preload. Some coilovers (BC for example) have an adjustable strut body to independently adjust height and preload and these can be used to get v. low while maintaining more bump travel (but might put the wheel into tye wheel well but #stancelyfe).

Last edited:

Powerman

Car(s)
Volkswagen mk6 gti
It’s very common for progressive springs to bump together at the top when used like this.
It’s why they put the padding on the coils because they are so short they are going to touch and make a clunking sound, without the padding it would be a clank rather than a thump. You can sometimes find a ride hight that minimizes it or get a set of stiff standard rate springs on your setup you might get less thump.One of the prices you have with a short, high performance coil over some times rubber spacers between some of the coils can help.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
It’s very common for progressive springs to bump together at the top when used like this.
It’s why they put the padding on the coils because they are so short they are going to touch and make a clunking sound, without the padding it would be a clank rather than a thump. You can sometimes find a ride hight that minimizes it or get a set of stiff standard rate springs on your setup you might get less thump.One of the prices you have with a short, high performance coil over some times rubber spacers between some of the coils can help.
There are a bazillion folks on lowering springs/coils with progressive springs with no noises - something else going on here.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
This video does an excellent job of explaining the ins and outs of coilover designs:

Long video to say - adjustable body shock/coilovers aren't as good but at least you can live the stance lyfe. AHHAHAHAHAHA. The preload height adjustment is v. misunderstood is really what it boils down to.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
98% of gti owners who mod their cars are street cars and while they want it to perform better they also want it to look a certain way, so the majority of his arguments aren’t relevant for us… also he makes and sells shocks 😂😂 so yeah… it’s still a safer route for anyone who also is concerned about having a specific personalized ride height to have adjustable bodies, it’s no as simple to just say “stance lyfe” related to solely to ride height anyways, you got meaty fitment stance bois and psycho levels of camber stance bois

tigeo

Autocross Champion
98% of gti owners who mod their cars are street cars and while they want it to perform better they also want it to look a certain way, so the majority of his arguments aren’t relevant for us… also he makes and sells shocks 😂😂 so yeah… it’s still a safer route for anyone who also is concerned about having a specific personalized ride height to have adjustable bodies, it’s no as simple to just say “stance lyfe” related to solely to ride height anyways, you got meaty fitment stance bois and psycho levels of camber stance bois
What is "safer" about it? They just let you get lower is all with the possibility of going to far and putting a wheel into the top of your fender. You also lose overall suspension travel.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Safer as in - maintaining the *specific products optimal travel un related to how low or high the end user wants.

Relevance of mentioning the fender and wheel contact again? Is that’s supposed to be some profound information you are providing 😂😂. Basic logic that if a end user chooses to lower their car and by doing so makes the tire to fender clearance smaller it goes without saying….

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Safer as in - maintaining the *specific products optimal travel un related to how low or high the end user wants.

Relevance of mentioning the fender and wheel contact again? Is that’s supposed to be some profound information you are providing 😂😂. Basic logic that if a end user chooses to lower their car and by doing so makes the tire to fender clearance smaller it goes without saying….
A single piece strut will always be "safer" as the total suspension travel will be that of the OE suspension design with no risk of adjusting the height to a point of the wheel contacting something it shouldn't. The downside is that if getting the car v. low is your goal, you will minimize bump travel (which is key) and maximize droop travel (while the overall range of motion is unchanged) and the ride will be bouncy as you hitting the jounce bumpers a lot.

Again, my opinion is that the 2-piece design is primarily for getting v. low and not for optimizing the suspension's performance by taking away the overall suspension's range of motion.

The profound comment is using a single piece coilover will never allow the tire to hit regardless of how low you set it using the preload b/c the overall suspension range of motion is the same as stock - you are just sitting lower in it at rest but using a 2-piece coilover with the body adjusted as low as possible can cause this issue.

yakev724

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 S3
I'm trying to get rid of spring bind noises on my B16 coilovers on my S3. Creaking comes on with moderate throttle (as car squats/leans back), binding comes on occasionally with low-speed turns, and knocking often happens with sharp bumps/undulations.

I've installed them according to the instructions, currently in interest of reducing noise I have them set so spring is just barely snug under full droop. Minimum preload while not allowing the spring to move/get loose under full droop. This leaves 4 full threads visible above the lower coil of the spring.

I have quite a bit of neg camber, about 3 deg. Going to try removing endlinks, then move on to fitting some Tein silencers. Since my car is on the heavier side should I consider diff springs? Any other ideas?

Last edited: