GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Bilstein B14 for $900 CAD?

geokilla

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI DSG
I've been considering getting a set of coilovers for my GTI without DCC and there's currently two separate kits of Bilstein B14 up for sale in my area, both of which were installed this year and used for a few months. One is listed at $900 while the other is listed for slightly more. Seeing them for sale on the used market after only being used for a few months makes me believe there must be something fundamentally wrong with the kit. Maybe it's too harsh? The build quality is not good? I mean it's not cheap to install suspension unless you know how to DIY. If I did purchase the B14, I plan on having them set to the highest possible height for daily driving since Toronto roads suck. I downgraded to 17" wheels to try and improve the rim protection and ride comfort while on stock suspension and I'd like to continue that with the coils. Only when I'm at the track would I lower the coils, assuming they're easy to adjust.

Or, should I buy another kit from FCP Euro or WCT Performance? There's so many out there and obviously, I get what I pay for.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Hard pass on buying used suspension parts, FCP lifetime warranty is the way to go as any suspension component is a wear item.

I personally run B14, only because the B16 were on backorder for months and I got tired of waiting. It would be nice to play with the dampening (B16 is adjustable) but with my car being a daily driver it’s not the end of the world.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
I plan on having them set to the highest possible height for daily driving since Toronto roads suck.

I downgraded to 17" wheels to try and improve the rim protection and ride comfort while on stock suspension and I'd like to continue that with the coils.
Why do you want, or feel you "need", coil overs then?
You're going to run them raised up, basically stock height--since Bilsteins don't go low, and they're going to be stiffer than stock....throwing your ride comfort, which you're seeking, out the window

geokilla

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI DSG
Why do you want, or feel you "need", coil overs then?
You're going to run them raised up, basically stock height--since Bilsteins don't go low, and they're going to be stiffer than stock....throwing your ride comfort, which you're seeking, out the window

I want to lower by an about 1" and improve my track handling for when I track. A small compromise on daily ride comfort is fine, but if it's going to be significantly stiffer, then maybe not.

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
Hard pass on buying used suspension parts, FCP lifetime warranty is the way to go as any suspension component is a wear item.

I personally run B14, only because the B16 were on backorder for months and I got tired of waiting. It would be nice to play with the dampening (B16 is adjustable) but with my car being a daily driver it’s not the end of the world.

FCP Euro works well for you guys in the states. In Canadia we have to pay additional taxes, duties etc... It doesn't work for us.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
FCP Euro works well for you guys in the states. In Canadia we have to pay additional taxes, duties etc... It doesn't work for us.

Idk how weak the conversion rate is but the used parts seem to be priced way high.

Even with fees or whatever it should be worthwhile to get a free replacement set of coilovers if he’s gonna keep the car that long. Even being in America I don’t waste my time sending back little stuff, but my is38 & B14s are definitely going to be worth it.

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
Idk how weak the conversion rate is but the used parts seem to be priced way high.

Even with fees or whatever it should be worthwhile to get a free replacement set of coilovers if he’s gonna keep the car that long. Even being in America I don’t waste my time sending back little stuff, but my is38 & B14s are definitely going to be worth it.
It's not just about the conversion though.

As an example, I was looking at one of your cat-backs. If I were to buy it, yes conversion, but then I'd get hit with an additional 13% on the border (since I'm in Ontario), of whatever amount you claim when you ship to me, plus there would be brokerage fees (UPS/Fed Ex etc...). We get screwed here.

burgerkong

Drag Racing Champion

As an example, I was looking at one of your cat-backs. If I were to buy it, yes conversion, but then I'd get hit with an additional 13% on the border (since I'm in Ontario), of whatever amount you claim when you ship to me, plus there would be brokerage fees (UPS/Fed Ex etc...). We get screwed here.

Not if you use Shippsy or CrossBorderPickup.

Clem604

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI

Ain't that the truth, especially with the brokerage fees. No duty on items made in the USA though so if/when I can I buy America made parts as much as possible.

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
OP, koni yellows would work if 1" is your target. You would likely want to cut bump stops to compensate for loss of shock travel.

geokilla

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI DSG
OP, koni yellows would work if 1" is your target. You would likely want to cut bump stops to compensate for loss of shock travel.

I'd do it properly or not do it at all.

I guess we can do a trip across the border and hope we don't get stopped lol. But regardless, $1.5k vs $900 for the same set of coils, albeit used for few months, is tempting..

Why wouldn't your turbo and coils last the life of the car?