GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Biggest Tire on Austins

slogti

Ready to race!
Car(s)
APR Stage 1+ GTI
Might be a dumb question but does anyone know what the maximum tire size someone has run on stock austins? Looking at 245 40's I know that they're only 7.5 didn't know if anyone has ran this setup?

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
I'm assuming this is probably for autox or some form of wheel width limiting requirement?

On a 7.5" wide wheel I've seen people squeeze on 255s to get more rubber. 235 is the max recommended size for a 7.5 I believe, but for low speed stuff that sidewall flex doesn't matter as much as the amount of rubber you have, especially when considering stiff sidewall tires like the 200tw category. I briefly ran a 245/40 on the austins, but I had a bit more room and could have run a 255 (especially with a narrower 200tw tire like the re71r).

FWIW, I came in first in class and 5th overall PAX on the 245/40 during a 2 event middiv cross between two regions (130 drivers).

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
I'm assuming this is probably for autox or some form of wheel width limiting requirement?

On a 7.5" wide wheel I've seen people squeeze on 255s to get more rubber. 235 is the max recommended size for a 7.5 I believe, but for low speed stuff that sidewall flex doesn't matter as much as the amount of rubber you have, especially when considering stiff sidewall tires like the 200tw category. I briefly ran a 245/40 on the austins, but I had a bit more room and could have run a 255 (especially with a narrower 200tw tire like the re71r).

FWIW, I came in first in class and 5th overall PAX on the 245/40 during a 2 event middiv cross between two regions (130 drivers).
Which shop around here put those on without giving you grief?

slogti

Ready to race!
Car(s)
APR Stage 1+ GTI

Mostly really just wanted wider tires for frequent trips to mexico because the car just loves to spin atm so figured wider is better unless you think the difference from 235-245 wont be noticeable?

slogti

Ready to race!
Car(s)
APR Stage 1+ GTI
235 is largest I've seen. Also, make sure the shop will do it as some like big chains like Costco won't go above the recommended size (i.e. won't put a 235 on as their system only has 225 max for GTI). Most likely due to liability issues.
Thank you I have to take a look around to see what some shops are willing to do when I decide

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
Mostly really just wanted wider tires for frequent trips to mexico because the car just loves to spin atm so figured wider is better unless you think the difference from 235-245 wont be noticeable?

A wider tire does not give more grip than a narrower tire. You're ultimately limited by weight and rubber compound. A wider tire allows you to build more heat before you exceed the tire's operating temp, which is important for balance and pushing a car hard on track (for example why so many rwd cars run wider rear or rs3 runs wider front). Actually if you aren't getting the tires up to temp, a narrower tire can perform better...

If you're just looking to gain more straight line grip, I'd first try going to a much more aggressive rubber compound. You pay the penalty of shorter life, pelting your car with more dirt/sand/rocks, and a firmer and louder ride, but you gain tons of grip. Going from a 300TW tire to a 200TW tire is very noticeable, especially if you can heat up the tires a bit. When that's not enough, you can lower air pressure to flatten the contact patch, play with alignment, and mess with suspension. All depends on your goals.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
Which shop around here put those on without giving you grief?

Burnette Auto off of College/Quivira. I live 5 mins from them, and they're always willing to do whatever job I ask, within reason. They never question my alignment settings or tire mounting. Then again, I drop off wheels/tires with them about 3-5 times per year, so giving me grief is money lost for them...

slogti

Ready to race!
Car(s)
APR Stage 1+ GTI
A wider tire does not give more grip than a narrower tire. You're ultimately limited by weight and rubber compound. A wider tire allows you to build more heat before you exceed the tire's operating temp, which is important for balance and pushing a car hard on track (for example why so many rwd cars run wider rear or rs3 runs wider front). Actually if you aren't getting the tires up to temp, a narrower tire can perform better...

If you're just looking to gain more straight line grip, I'd first try going to a much more aggressive rubber compound. You pay the penalty of shorter life, pelting your car with more dirt/sand/rocks, and a firmer and louder ride, but you gain tons of grip. Going from a 300TW tire to a 200TW tire is very noticeable, especially if you can heat up the tires a bit. When that's not enough, you can lower air pressure to flatten the contact patch, play with alignment, and mess with suspension. All depends on your goals.
Thank you, leaning more towards 235 on a 200TW tire.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
200tw tire will ride rough and be loud. I know, I'm daily driving RE71R's on my car right now until I can buy some street wheels that fit over my BBK.

Get a 235 width Falken FK510 if you aren't actually autocrossing the car.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
200tw tire will ride rough and be loud. I know, I'm daily driving RE71R's on my car right now until I can buy some street wheels that fit over my BBK.

Get a 235 width Falken FK510 if you aren't actually autocrossing the car.

The RE71R are also especially rough because they're very much a no compromise autox tire. My Direzza Z3 were a little quieter, but still rough. Most people I know that daily the 200TW range also don't get more than 10k miles out of them. I got about 4k on my DZ3 with 3 weekends of use, and my a052 are on track to get 3 total weekends of track only use :/...I doubt they would last even 6k being driven on the street only.

My friend rides on Falken 615k+ and says they're pretty comfy, just kind of loud on the street, but not re71/dz3 level loud. He gets a full year of use out of them as well.

Traction, Longevity, Cost...always some sort of compromise :)

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
The RE71R are also especially rough because they're very much a no compromise autox tire. My Direzza Z3 were a little quieter, but still rough. Most people I know that daily the 200TW range also don't get more than 10k miles out of them. I got about 4k on my DZ3 with 3 weekends of use, and my a052 are on track to get 3 total weekends of track only use :/...I doubt they would last even 6k being driven on the street only.

My friend rides on Falken 615k+ and says they're pretty comfy, just kind of loud on the street, but not re71/dz3 level loud. He gets a full year of use out of them as well.

Traction, Longevity, Cost...always some sort of compromise :)

A052 is a different planet compared to other 200w.

On a Street class car, it's half a second faster than the RE71R and you get 30 to 40 runs vice 120 to 140 for the RE71R.

I think Advan just ruined the 200tw class of tires, as Bridgestone and BFG will respond in kind.

I hope Hankook, Dunlop, and Falken don't follow suit or SCCA bans the A052. It's clearly a cheater tire.

toothofwar

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
If it is just some quick runs in mexico and not serious autocross then I would highly recommend the indy 500s in the 235 form. I daily these and they are quiet, comfortable, and have serious traction on the street. Great price also.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
If it is just some quick runs in mexico and not serious autocross then I would highly recommend the indy 500s in the 235 form. I daily these and they are quiet, comfortable, and have serious traction on the street. Great price also.

I'd recommend them too, if the Falken FK510 wasn't better in every catagory objectively and subjectively in Tire Racks testing. Similar prices too. My son has the Indy500's on his 18, I'm putting Falkens on my 19 next week. I'll let you know how they feel in comparison to each other.