GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Bigger turbo.. new DSG tune?

draza74

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
17 GTI
If I bump to say a TPC20, which is my goal.
Will I need a new DSG tune to increase clamping pressure or whatever to handle the power?

I know that once you go past a stage 1 tune, you for sure need a DSG tune but I felt like logically if you bump up that much power that you'd need to change up what the tranny is doing.

draza74

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
17 GTI
I am, however I don't know if it would be enough for a turbo upgrade.
I figure i'd be fine but never know..

Also, Sneeky doesn't do DSG tuning yet.

MSH

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'20 M2 Competition
If I bump to say a TPC20, which is my goal.
Will I need a new DSG tune to increase clamping pressure or whatever to handle the power?

I brought up this exact question on the EQT Facebook page, because my current DSG tune was purchased with the dropdown selections on stock IS38 with E40 tune.
I'm moving to a Vortex on E40 . I assumed it was recommended to purchase a DSG tune update and update the dropdown selections to Vortex, because if they are asking for that info (i.e. choose what turbo you are running) when you purchase the original tune I assumed they are making some changes in the actual tune depending on your selection. I know TVS does this for example with their staged DSG tunes...i.e. as tq increases you move up the stack with stages.

One of the Admin's Ed has fielding questions on EQT's/his behalf was as follows...."It will change shift points and everything else to better flow with the new Rpm power band of the bigger turbo. Higher rev limits/shift points. All in all a better sync with the new ECU tune that will be needed with the new setup"

When I asked about the increased clamping pressure he wasn't sure. The response was..."have no idea. I would imagine he would just make all dsg tunes with max clamp pressure ability."

Grey Ghost

Ready to race!
EQT S2 tcu tune should be good with a TPC hybrid. If you’re already running EQT i would email Ed or his team and tell them the set up you are planning, the EQT team will know better than anyone if you would need an additional Tcu tune to handle the tpc turbo.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
EQT has a staged DSG tune available that I got when I went with the TPC20 and it's great. Already had a DSG tune from another company but the EQT staged tune is far better.

MSH

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'20 M2 Competition
EQT has a staged DSG tune available that I got when I went with the TPC20 and it's great. Already had a DSG tune from another company but the EQT staged tune is far better.

And seeing that the OP already has a EQT DSG tune the $25 update cost is minimal, so pretty much a no brainer.
EQT didn't require me to pay for a new DSG tune for the Vortex upgrade....just the $25 update fee

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
And seeing that the OP already has a EQT DSG tune the $25 update cost is minimal, so pretty much a no brainer.
EQT didn't require me to pay for a new DSG tune for the Vortex upgrade....just the $25 update fee

Good point.

a3scott20

Ready to race!
I think it depends on the final power/torque you are going to reach.

In my case, I was totally fine with my hybrid running 29-30PSI and TVS DSG stage 3 file until I re-tuned boost up a bit at 33-35PSI. I found that my clutch was slipped on each gear change, I then had to get my DSG file re-tuned because of higher torque.

I would suggest doing some DSG logs before and after TPC20 to see if clutch temp rises a lot. Once you torque is increased, clamp pressure will rise itself accordingly.