GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Big Turbo Questions

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
Was that on E30 or more? Were you running port injection? What fuel line are you talking about? The Spulen looks great, but I’m not going to lie I’m a little scared off by some of the failures I’ve seen on here. For now at least I don’t see myself going above 29psi. After doing a bit of reading I’ll probably take the car up to Brentuning in MA to get the WG adapted.

It was on an E40 blend and no MPI, but it now has MPI installed as of yesterday so Ed and I are in the process of dialing in the tune for full E85. The upgraded fuel line that I have and talking about is the one from Precision Raceworks. I've been using my Spulen CC for almost a year now so not sure what failures you have read on here. You can try that upgraded Audi PCV valve but I've seen on here people reported that it still failed for them.

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI, Camaro ZL1
It was on an E40 blend and no MPI, but it now has MPI installed as of yesterday so Ed and I are in the process of dialing in the tune for full E85. The upgraded fuel line that I have and talking about is the one from Precision Raceworks. I've been using my Spulen CC for almost a year now so not sure what failures you have read on here. You can try that upgraded Audi PCV valve but I've seen on here people reported that it still failed for them.

Is it a high pressure fuel line? What fueling did you have to run E40? I was reading Quebsters thread and some others have had issues where they went back to the stock PCV and their issue was solved. But the same number seem to say the Spulen kit works great. I don’t know.

Do you have a build thread?

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
Is it a high pressure fuel line? What fueling did you have to run E40? I was reading Quebsters thread and some others have had issues where they went back to the stock PCV and their issue was solved. But the same number seem to say the Spulen kit works great. I don’t know.

Do you have a build thread?

It's an AN6 fuel line from the lpfp to hpfp. What do you mean what fueling did I have to run E40? Are you asking what mods I have to run that mixture?

No build thread, not yet at least. All my mods are in my signature.

http://www.precisionraceworks.com/vw-mk7/mqb-performance-fuel-lines.aspx

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI, Camaro ZL1

Stija

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
BMW Saab Subaru VW
Yes I know I can make more power with less boost on ethanol. No I do not want to mess around with ethanol.
What an uneducated comment to make.

Are you tuning for 87octane or do you plan to mess with 91 or 93 possibly? I wouldn’t go higher than 93 cuz it sure gets messy after that.

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI, Camaro ZL1
What an uneducated comment to make.

Are you tuning for 87octane or do you plan to mess with 91 or 93 possibly? I wouldn’t go higher than 93 cuz it sure gets messy after that.

I don’t see how it’s uneducated at all. All the high horsepower builds here run either full E85 or a mix. I plan to tune for 93 pump for now.

I don’t see how it’s “messy” at all. It’s safer for the car and you can make more power.

Stija

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
BMW Saab Subaru VW
So where’s or what is the messy part? Or why won’t you mess with it but 93 oct is ok to mess with?

Your statement is akin to...”I don’t wanna mess with 93oct, I will stick with 87oct for now.”

What I really wanna do is quote Red from That 70s Show..

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI, Camaro ZL1
So where’s or what is the messy part? Or why won’t you mess with it but 93 oct is ok to mess with?

Your statement is akin to...”I don’t wanna mess with 93oct, I will stick with 87oct for now.”

What I really wanna do is quote Red from That 70s Show..

My statement is not akin to that comparison at all for a few reasons. I travel a lot so I don’t have access to ethanol at all times. I don’t want to have to mix my gas every time I fill up. I don’t want to install a low pressure fuel pump. I don’t want to set up another tune file and then have to switch back and forth depending on my location. In my opinion it’s a pretty big commitment. The benefits of ethanol are awesome, but at this point I don’t have any desire to do so. I always have access to 93, which is why I chose that route.

Stija

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
BMW Saab Subaru VW
Yea mixing, switching maps and lpfp are a commitment and big turbo and supporting mods is not. But i see what you’re saying. Either way you are doing yourself a disservice for not tuning for an e mix especially since big turbo and all, you ARE after the gains AND big commitments.

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI, Camaro ZL1
You’re right. Big turbo is a huge jump and I’m already a few grand in the hole and to get setup for ethanol would be at least another $1500 to do it right. And to be honest I’m not ready to make that jump yet. I hope that I’m happy with the cars performance on pump, and if I’m not I’ll invest in setting the car up for ethanol. But I’m not willing to drop another $1500 into the car without at least trying my setup out on pump first. I know it’s not utilizing the turbo, but I bought the turbo I did so I would have headroom if I wanted more.

Stija

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
BMW Saab Subaru VW
Why that much more? As i understood youd only need lpfp unless you have one already? Plus the cost of another fuel tune no?

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI, Camaro ZL1
From my research I would need a HPFP $350 a LPFP $360, fuel line $110, tune $400, and an E sensor $320. Also if I was making the effort I would consider MPI as well so I could run full E85 which is another $900ish. So that’s what I would do if I’m not content with the setup I described in my OP. I’m sure it can be done cheaper but that’s how I would do it if I was going to run ethanol.

Stija

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
BMW Saab Subaru VW
I see.

But you could have had 400whp-ish on an e mix. Just saying. And i misread you had the hpfp already.