GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Big Turbo Questions

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI, Camaro ZL1
Hello everyone,

I have a 2015 GTI with 62,000 miles on it. I have been Stratified Stage 2 for about 10,000 miles now and JB4 Map 6 for about 20,000 miles before that. I have decided to make the jump to big turbo. Not because I am displeased with my current tune in any way, I just think it's the natural progression of the modification addiction and I am ready for some more power. I have browsed this forum and others extensively reasearching my options and choices for turbo, tune, etc. I have decided on the DBV2 V1 tuned by Ed at EQT. My goals are 400whp and less than 400wtq on PUMP gas with stock fueling system. I should be able to make that pretty easily on a conservative tune (I hope). I may upgrade the HPFP if Ed recommends it. I have some questions that have been covered before on these forums but some have been talked about awhile ago and technology changes quickly.

PCV. Considering my car has 62,000 miles on this valve I think it is time for replacement. Should I replace the unit entirely with a new OEM unit, keep it as is, or add a catch can? I have heard mixed reviews in terms of if you need one but I havn't really seen whether or not one would be beneficial if you are replacing the stock unit anyway.

DV. The general consensus on here is stock is best, but like the PCV mine is getting a little long in the tooth and I think it would be a good idea to replace it now when I do the install. Dan from DBV2 said that the Turbosmart unit is good and he uses those primarily but any unit other than OEM has not been well received here. The last thread I found about the Turbosmart was a year ago so I was curious if anyone has any experience with the new units or if everyone's opinion of them is the same. Hoon I know you ran one when you ran your Littco. What's your opinion?

Wastegate adaptation. I will be doing the install myself and so far my biggest concern is not the physical install but the computer side of things. I do not have VCDS or OBD11 (Thanks Apple). However I have read that Cobb offers a waste gate adaptation program now through their AP unit. Has anyone tried this? Does it work?

That is most of my questions I think. I’m sure I will have many more throughout this process but for now I would appreciate all your opinions. If anyone has any other suggestions on supporting modifications or tips on turbo installs I would appreciate those too.

Thanks!

Yes I know I can make more power with less boost on ethanol. No I do not want to mess around with ethanol.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
daconchslop is correct. I would also get the Spulen OCC and that was a very written post.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
Hello everyone,

I have a 2015 GTI with 62,000 miles on it. I have been Stratified Stage 2 for about 10,000 miles now and JB4 Map 6 for about 20,000 miles before that. I have decided to make the jump to big turbo. Not because I am displeased with my current tune in any way, I just think it's the natural progression of the modification addiction and I am ready for some more power. I have browsed this forum and others extensively reasearching my options and choices for turbo, tune, etc. I have decided on the DBV2 V1 tuned by Ed at EQT. My goals are 400whp and less than 400wtq on PUMP gas with stock fueling system. I should be able to make that pretty easily on a conservative tune (I hope). I may upgrade the HPFP if Ed recommends it. I have some questions that have been covered before on these forums but some have been talked about awhile ago and technology changes quickly.

PCV. Considering my car has 62,000 miles on this valve I think it is time for replacement. Should I replace the unit entirely with a new OEM unit, keep it as is, or add a catch can? I have heard mixed reviews in terms of if you need one but I havn't really seen whether or not one would be beneficial if you are replacing the stock unit anyway.

DV. The general consensus on here is stock is best, but like the PCV mine is getting a little long in the tooth and I think it would be a good idea to replace it now when I do the install. Dan from DBV2 said that the Turbosmart unit is good and he uses those primarily but any unit other than OEM has not been well received here. The last thread I found about the Turbosmart was a year ago so I was curious if anyone has any experience with the new units or if everyone's opinion of them is the same. Hoon I know you ran one when you ran your Littco. What's your opinion?

Wastegate adaptation. I will be doing the install myself and so far my biggest concern is not the physical install but the computer side of things. I do not have VCDS or OBD11 (Thanks Apple). However I have read that Cobb offers a waste gate adaptation program now through their AP unit. Has anyone tried this? Does it work?

That is most of my questions I think. I’m sure I will have many more throughout this process but for now I would appreciate all your opinions. If anyone has any other suggestions on supporting modifications or tips on turbo installs I would appreciate those too.

Thanks!

Yes I know I can make more power with less boost on ethanol. No I do not want to mess around with ethanol.

The V1 will definitely meet/exceed your goals for power. I have a V2 with Ed as my tuner and on a safe tune, made 486 whp. Ed will most likely suggest that you, at least, get an upgraded HPFP. You mind as well upgrade them both along with the fuel line and both MAP sensors.

The stock PCV can't handle anything over 29 psi of boost and that's max! Just to be safe, I would get the Spulen Catch Can. Ed uses it and so do I and others on this forum and it works; stopped the issue that I was having.

I know Cobb has the WG adaptation but it never worked for me. I just did it using VCDS so that's what I recommend. Find a local VW/Audi indy shop and have them do it.

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech
I know Cobb has the WG adaptation but it never worked for me. I just did it using VCDS so that's what I recommend. Find a local VW/Audi indy shop and have them do it.
Were you on a Pre-ConRom version with the AP when you tried to do the Adaptation? I know with the new FW you need to flash back to a Cobb V100 file for any diagnostic tool like VCDS/OBD11 to even recognize the ECU. Not sure if this has been addressed yet by Cobb.

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech
I'm not even going to bother with doing that. I have an OBD11 Pro so I will stick with that.
Have you gotten it to work since Cobb switched to the consolidated ROMs? TBH I haven’t tried/needed using my OBDEleven since I flashed to Cobb.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
Have you gotten it to work since Cobb switched to the consolidated ROMs? TBH I haven’t tried/needed using my OBDEleven since I flashed to Cobb.

Haven't needed to use it after adjusting my WG when I had my V2 installed last year. Don't get rid of your OBD11 because the AP can't get rid of a lot of codes that the OBD11 can.

billbadass

Drag Racing Champion
these cars are hilarlious at the 400whp+ level. you're going to have a ton of fun. don't forget some good motor mounts and Ed usually goes with NGKs at two heat ranges colder than stock at that power level. I went with the upgraded PCV and works great on the street at least at 460whp for last 6k miles

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI, Camaro ZL1
The V1 will definitely meet/exceed your goals for power. I have a V2 with Ed as my tuner and on a safe tune, made 486 whp. Ed will most likely suggest that you, at least, get an upgraded HPFP. You mind as well upgrade them both along with the fuel line and both MAP sensors.

The stock PCV can't handle anything over 29 psi of boost and that's max! Just to be safe, I would get the Spulen Catch Can. Ed uses it and so do I and others on this forum and it works; stopped the issue that I was having.

Was that on E30 or more? Were you running port injection? What fuel line are you talking about? The Spulen looks great, but I’m not going to lie I’m a little scared off by some of the failures I’ve seen on here. For now at least I don’t see myself going above 29psi. After doing a bit of reading I’ll probably take the car up to Brentuning in MA to get the WG adapted.

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI, Camaro ZL1
these cars are hilarlious at the 400whp+ level. you're going to have a ton of fun. don't forget some good motor mounts and Ed usually goes with NGKs at two heat ranges colder than stock at that power level. I went with the upgraded PCV and works great on the street at least at 460whp for last 6k miles

Yeah needless to say I’m pretty excited. Dan started building my unit today. I’m not sure which motor mounts I’m going to go with. I’ve heard the 034s are too soft, I’ve read of a failure with the BFI ones, and Superpro doesn’t make any anymore. Suggestions? What upgraded PCV are you talking about?