GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Big Turbo GTI v. R Upgrade

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
Got my 16GTI for 22500 new. Couldn't get an R for double that. Thats why I went GTI. If i had the money or the R was closer in price I would have done the R from the start, but the cost difference was just too big. Maybe finding a nice used R or A3 would be the way to go.

Charlotte.:R

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R 6MT
when it comes down to it, the R is a fwd platform that sometimes sends some power to the rear. also, new v new, I got my wifes gti for 25k, the same dealership sells golf R's for 52k. sorry, it may have double the drive wheels, but it's not twice the car.

I think new-vs-new and comparing the top trim GTI to a R is about the only time they are a only a few grand close in MSRP.

52K is absurd, I got mine for 36.7, but fall '18 was a buyers market for 6MT Rs.

NopeR

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 Golf R
Fail wheel drive with a big turbo is still fail wheel drive. Get an R.

Charlotte.:R

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R 6MT
Who pays MSRP on a GTI irrespective of the trim.

I was simply stating the only scenario where they are separated by a couple thousand dollars. Rs are going for under MSRP too. But in the real world, you can probably get a GTI at a steeper discount than a R.

If you already have a GTI, I'd say stick with it. Otherwise, negotiate the best deal you can on a GTI and a R and see if the difference is worth it ?‍♂️

NopeR

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 Golf R
Yet a "fail wheel drive" BT GTI will still spank even a stage 2 R from a roll and in the quarter :unsure:

Not from a dig. Maybe a roll.

But would it beat a big turbo R? No.

In other words, how fast can you afford?

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI, Camaro ZL1
Not from a dig. Maybe a roll.

But would it beat a big turbo R? No.

In other words, how fast can you afford?

It also depends on what you like to do. I’ve driven a few Quattro Audi’s and digs do not interest me. I’ve launched my GTI maybe three times in 2 years of owning it. AWD is nice and all but I rarely see a need for it. So spending the extra money on the Golf R really wouldn’t make any sense for me. But to each his own.

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
It also depends on what you like to do. I’ve driven a few Quattro Audi’s and digs do not interest me. I’ve launched my GTI maybe three times in 2 years of owning it. AWD is nice and all but I rarely see a need for it. So spending the extra money on the Golf R really wouldn’t make any sense for me. But to each his own.
AWD would be nice even not from a dig....

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
when it comes down to it, the R is a fwd platform that sometimes sends some power to the rear. also, new v new, I got my wifes gti for 25k, the same dealership sells golf R's for 52k.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
Yet a "fail wheel drive" BT GTI will still spank even a stage 2 R from a roll and in the quarter :unsure:

Serious question - why even try to make a hot hatch a quarter-mile monster? Is it for street racing the Honda kids? Saturday night time slips? Dick-swinging at Cars & Coffee gatherings? What exactly? Enlighten me.

NopeR

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 Golf R
Considering stg3+ ones run low 10's, it's a great platform.

As for what people actually do with that kind of speed, that's on them.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
SuperPro mounts and knowing how to drive my car.

It is that last part of your comment that is the difference between AWD and FWD, With AWD you don't have to know how to feather or modulate the throttle, you can just hammer it and lay down the power. I say this as someone who currently owns a 480whp GTI with highly modified suspension, LSD and sticky tires etc.