GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Big Turbo GTI v. R Upgrade

Mlaplaca08

Passed Driver's Ed
It didn’t take long for the mod bug to bite on this platform. Given the deals I’ve seen for R’s in my area, I’ve been tempted for the upgrade. I wouldn’t say I track or drag the car, however drive spiritedly. Coming from the Honda world to Subaru, I’ve seen the difference AWD can make. For someone who is ultimately looking to go Eqt vortex/pump 93 - is the R that much superior to start from for a few grand extra given today’s world or are you hybrid GTI guys content with the traction/Drive ability/cost you guys have done?
For anyone who hasn’t done the R jump; big turbo GTI, content with the power delivery and daily driver (ish) ability.
Would you spend 3 grand to go big turbo GTI or upgrade to a similar condition stock ish/stage 2 R?

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI, Camaro ZL1
I’ve found that getting into a BT setup costs a bit more than 3k at the end of the day. I would say it's closer to 4-5k if you do not already have all the supporting mods. Just something to consider. If I had the choice the R is hands down the better platform to start on if you have the option.

Sparky589

Drag Racing Champion
I personally wouldn't be comfortable pushing north of 300hp on FWD. If you're chasing power, the R is the better choice.

railroader

Autocross Newbie
Get the R, I went from bt gti to a bt S3 and will never go back to fwd with power

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
Why wouldn't you feel comfortable above 300 HP on the GTI? I'm at 363 HP currently and it runs great.
It's even better when you can get the power to the ground.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
It's even better when you can get the power to the ground.

I have the 18 SE so I have the electronically locking diff and I get surprisingly good traction with Michelin AS3+ tires. It chirps the tires from 1st to second and in the higher RPM range right before it shifts I see the traction light flash a few times but otherwise excellent traction. I thought that the DSG clutches were slipping but was told they weren't. I would have thought that I would see the traction light lower in the RPM range not right before it shifts.