GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Big Turbo GTI v. R Upgrade

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
No you don't need fueling and that's exactly what I have. It's at 363HP and 408 torque but the IS38 bearing seals are leaking so I'm actually going to the TPC20 hybrid next week.

What's the advantages of the hybrid you're looking at? And I'm assuming you didn't buy the IS38 from FCP?

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech
No you don't need fueling and that's exactly what I have. It's at 363HP and 408 torque but the IS38 bearing seals are leaking so I'm actually going to the TPC20 hybrid next week.
They have a really good deal on the TPC20 right now. FREE Porting and Coating included. No time like the present to send in the used IS20 core Before and get that all for $1399. Looks like a fun turbo for someone that wants to stay at stock fueling.

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32
It is for a GTI. Run along now.
Your opinion. Have a good night.
It's ok to be mistaken about something man. Your queepy remarks like "run along now" and "have a good night" aren't gonna get you far around here.

As already clarified, "big turbo" is a specific terminology on this (and other) platforms referring to large turbos typically built by aftermarket developers such as the aforementioned G25, CTS Boss, DBV2, etc. IS20, IS38, IS12, are all OEM turbos, yes different sizes and some are bigger than others, but specifically saying "big turbo" means something different than "bigger than".

The Dude

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI S
It's ok to be mistaken about something man. Your queepy remarks like "run along now" and "have a good night" aren't gonna get you far around here.

As already clarified, "big turbo" is a specific terminology on this (and other) platforms referring to large turbos typically built by aftermarket developers such as the aforementioned G25, CTS Boss, DBV2, etc. IS20, IS38, IS12, are all OEM turbos, yes different sizes and some are bigger than others, but specifically saying "big turbo" means something different than "bigger than".
I don't know that I'd consider the G25 a big turbo. Full frame turbo, yes, but big, not quite. I feel like big turbo starts around the GT35 size, but I suppose it's all relative. anyway, let's get back on topic fellas. If the Golf R's only party trick that the GTI can't do all that well is snow and no prep dig racing, the GTI is the obvious bang for the buck winner.