GOLFMKV

Big(er) turbos and the 1.8

black forest ind

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
All of them

Hornung418

Passed Driver's Ed
Maybe I'll bug him some too. Lol. Let's get an answer on it. If so, it would help with any low end spool issues on the bigger turbos and could just make the 1.8 all around more fun with even is20 and is38
He is assembling the cam assembly and measuring the piston clearance. He has measured the cam lobe from small end to big end and found a 1mm difference. So we should gain a touch more lift. He has said that the duration is the same based on lobe shape.

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
He is assembling the cam assembly and measuring the piston clearance. He has measured the cam lobe from small end to big end and found a 1mm difference. So we should gain a touch more lift. He has said that the duration is the same based on lobe shape.
That's a decent amount more. Should definitely help deliver more torque down low.

MSH

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'20 M2 Competition
I’m planning a similar route in a ‘19 1.8T 4mo GSW with a TPC20 (IS20 hybrid), ROW intake manifold with MPI rail, PR450 LPFP & harness, and Bosch 980cc injectors for the secondary fuel rail.

My understanding from doing a lot of reading here (and talking to Fred & others) is that MPI/LPFP is really what you need on the 1.8T to run a hybrid with full fueling. I don’t think the 2.0 HPFP & R injectors are needed, at least Jaryd’s AT has been running 10k+ miles just fine without them.

Other supporting mods: Macan brake upgrade, Milltek catted DP, AMS IC, BFI S1 engine/tranny mounts, powerflex DB insert, R RSB/Moog endlinks, MSS Sports springs, wheels/tires, TTRS clutch.

Currently everything is sitting in the garage off the car, other than the wheels/tires/RSB/MSS kit. I’m totally stock power-wise at around 8.5k miles. I’m waiting to see if EcuTek supports the 1.8T so I can potentially get a remote dyno tune via EQT. Otherwise sounds like we’re planning a similar project via UM, yours being more urgent due to your OEM turbo blowing up.

Good luck and let us know how it goes! Not many people have gone this route yet and several of us are waiting on the sidelines.

I was also reading comments on TPC’s social pages that they’re planning a smaller “Stage 1” IS20 hybrid for the 1.8T (the “Stage 3” TPC20 that I bought apparently maxes the wheel sizes in the IS20 housing), which might not require this degree of fueling mods...

Might be worth giving them a call.

Really like the way you are going here! I literally emailed Nick at TPC this AM to see which of the TPC20's he recommended for this platform considering I'm at altitude. On Ecutek you might want to check with Ed at EQT on the latest. I put up a post in the EQT Facebook forum about Ecutek support for the 1.8s and he said if a ECU ID can be provided he would check on support. He definitely said they are working on it. I have Ed's E40 tune on my R and if I go the GSW/Alltrack direction I would want to stick working with him, but if not UM would be my second choice. I'm also in Denver and have worked with Bluewater and know Jaryd well, so going UM direction would be natural direction if EQT and Ecutek don't pan out

UnderdogA3

Passed Driver's Ed
A bigger turbo is in my future and was thinking i would just go is38 but it seems problematic with fueling. I did come across this which i havnt seen mentioned but no idea what ecu they support 1.8 is said to be supportedScreenshot_20200123-224714_Chrome.jpg

tplociniak

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Alltrack SEL
A couple companies offer MPI upgrades, they work on the 1.8, just need the right tune for them. I know UM has MPI capabilities

joedubs

Go Kart Champion
They are currently the only tuner to offer MPI for the 1.8. Dynoing my car March 29 will definitely share results.

I'm looking forward to that.

I'm about to pull the trigger on a ported bb v2 and a southbend stg3 daily. I'll get a comservative tune done this year and then hopefully maestro will have MPI support next year when I decide to upgrade the fuel system.

Hornung418

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm looking forward to that.

I'm about to pull the trigger on a ported bb v2 and a southbend stg3 daily. I'll get a comservative tune done this year and then hopefully maestro will have MPI support next year when I decide to upgrade the fuel system.
According to Daniel, the V2 is too big for the 1.8. he has a client in Canada with a 4motion GSW who ordered the V2. I would message him on FB and see if that person has gotten it installed with any results. Either way, the TBB is the way to go. These engines can handle way more than we think. I will be upgrading to TBB next winter.

joedubs

Go Kart Champion
According to Daniel, the V2 is too big for the 1.8. he has a client in Canada with a 4motion GSW who ordered the V2. I would message him on FB and see if that person has gotten it installed with any results. Either way, the TBB is the way to go. These engines can handle way more than we think. I will be upgrading to TBB next winter.

I was talking with dbv2 on Instagram (I'm not on Facebook) so I'm assuming it was Daniel. He knows I have a 1.8t and didn't express any concern. I had a precision 5857bb on my old Audi 1.8t and I'm sure this will spool better than that did. Haha.

The car isn't my daily and I like on-ramps. I'm okay with a little bit of waiting. That said, it should come on better than a boss turbo would (and I was considering that route).

tplociniak

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Alltrack SEL
Envious of you guys and I think the IS38 is fun, a hybrid with MPI and full e85 has got to be nuts