GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Big(er) turbos and the 1.8

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
You should get some valve springs and a tune to rev to 8k rpm :D.

Hornung418

Passed Driver's Ed
I was talking with dbv2 on Instagram (I'm not on Facebook) so I'm assuming it was Daniel. He knows I have a 1.8t and didn't express any concern. I had a precision 5857bb on my old Audi 1.8t and I'm sure this will spool better than that did. Haha.

The car isn't my daily and I like on-ramps. I'm okay with a little bit of waiting. That said, it should come on better than a boss turbo would (and I was considering that route).

Yeah these spool crazy fast on E85.

You will be happy regardless! We are waiting for Nikolai to get back with clearances on the GLI exhaust camshaft. That should give us quite a low end boost.

Envious of you guys and I think the IS38 is fun, a hybrid with MPI and full e85 has got to be nuts
Come to Baltimore and I'll show you what you're missing!

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Just curious anyone running a BT, how is the lag and how high is the boost threshold?

Want to go BT, but I think Littco L380x is as big as is reasonable from a drivability aspect especially with the 5spd.

joedubs

Go Kart Champion
:unsure:

I'll be staring at this thing on my work bench for a while.

joedubs

Go Kart Champion
Just curious anyone running a BT, how is the lag and how high is the boost threshold?

Want to go BT, but I think Littco L380x is as big as is reasonable from a drivability aspect especially with the 5spd.

It seems like there's more people that have an aversion to lag than there used to be. I remember back when people were heavily modding 1.8ts that 30Rs and up were relatively commonplace, and that was with big heavy AWD (in the B chassis cars) and without direct injection and the other aids we have today.

I would love to see a dyno sheet to see what the spool is like with some of these other turbos. We can do an overlay of the APR graphs of the is12/20/38 to see how spool compares. Hopefully I can get my clutch and a tune sorted out so I can get some stock fuel system data this year.

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
It seems like there's more people that have an aversion to lag than there used to be. I remember back when people were heavily modding 1.8ts that 30Rs and up were relatively commonplace, and that was with big heavy AWD (in the B chassis cars) and without direct injection and the other aids we have today.

I would love to see a dyno sheet to see what the spool is like with some of these other turbos. We can do an overlay of the APR graphs of the is12/20/38 to see how spool compares. Hopefully I can get my clutch and a tune sorted out so I can get some stock fuel system data this year.
I'll never forget the ride I had in a '78(?) 930 Ruf Slantnose. There was a tremendous amount of lag, but once the turbo finally spooled, it threw you in the seat. Another fun fact about that car, it had a lean switch for fun time. If you beat on it enough, the exhaust manifolds would glow bright red and it was highly visible at night.

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
I'll never forget the ride I had in a '78(?) 930 Ruf Slantnose. There was a tremendous amount of lag, but once the turbo finally spooled, it threw you in the seat. Another fun fact about that car, it had a lean switch for fun time. If you beat on it enough, the exhaust manifolds would glow bright red and it was highly visible at night.
I had a few friends running big turbos on their Grand Nationals in the late 80's to early 90's. On slicks you would hear the tires gripping as it launched and then about 30-50' out you would hear them fighting for traction. I've also see a few of them loose it in the street when the turbo spooled

joedubs

Go Kart Champion
I had a few friends running big turbos on their Grand Nationals in the late 80's to early 90's. On slicks you would hear the tires gripping as it launched and then about 30-50' out you would hear them fighting for traction. I've also see a few of them loose it in the street when the turbo spooled

That's so awesome.
My first car was a corrado g60 with a t3-super 60 swap.
It wasn't anything exotic for sure, but its what I remember a fun car feeling like.

An is20 may be more "streetable" on these cars. But that doesn't necessarily mean more fun.

To each their own. ?

tplociniak

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Alltrack SEL
To the 1.8 guys that gone MPI, did you do a flexfuel tune or UMs proflex and did you upgrade the lpfp as well? If so, mind sharing more details on your setups?

Hornung418

Passed Driver's Ed
To the 1.8 guys that gone MPI, did you do a flexfuel tune or UMs proflex and did you upgrade the lpfp as well? If so, mind sharing more details on your setups?
UM tuned proflex. Walbro 525 Hell Cat fuel pump. New Continental fuel lines rated for higher ethanol content.

tplociniak

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Alltrack SEL

joedubs

Go Kart Champion
So, it looks like my WG actuator might be wonky.

I got a code for WG stuck - P00AF - with an EPC last night. After the car cooled down I tried to mess around with the WG arm and its REALLY hard to move. I pulled my stock IS12 out and its difficult but nowhere near as tough. The numbers for the adaptation are where they should be.

I had been toying around with 'down converting' my V2 to a V1. I can send it back to Dan and keep my TBB CHRA but get new wheels/housings. I didn't want to pull the turbo but since I have to to troubleshoot it, I might as well. If it's the actuator that's toast I'll obviously get a replacement at the same time.

I do really enjoy the big turbo, but unless I do something to rev beyond 7k - I'm not using the V2 anywhere near it's potential. There's nothing wrong with moving the power band back to the left a little bit either. And the V1 will still let me run ~30lbs to redline (once my fueling is installed).

joedubs

Go Kart Champion
Got my V1 installed and the car feels a lot better. MPI is in, just need to figure out tuning. Thanks @Diggs24 for the lpfp table suggestions so I could get things going.

Posting some logs here for comparisons. Here's one from 2nd gear when I squeezed into it from around 2250. With the V2 the car would have just bogged:
https://datazap.me/u/joedubs/dbv2v1tbbbiglpfpv1?log=1&data=1-4&zoom=229-269

And here's 3rd from 2800 - 4600
https://datazap.me/u/joedubs/dbv2v1tbbbiglpfpv1?log=0&data=1-4&zoom=653-736

2nd gear hits target but then keeps climbing up to ~27.5psi and rail pressure starts dropping pretty hard above 20lbs. I'm not going to bother attempting to fix the creep since there's not a whole lot of point playing with things without activating the MPI. I'm also not going to be doing any redline pulls.