GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Big brother is watching!

TechGuy32

Ready to race!
So you're the meth cook????? :D

Basically pass cars have always been used for racing and in countries like Germany they even have sections of Autobahns where there is officially an unlimited speed limit. It's common to see Porsches, Benzs, BMWs, Audis and even VWs doing in excess of 150 mph. So while most folks would never drive those speeds on U.S. highways they certainly could on race tracks. The understanding is that if you drive an excess speed in the U.S. sooner or later you'll be ticketed or arrested if the speed is really excessive. There is little point in speed limiters even though some companies have employed 120 mph limiters on cars such as VWs. Speed limiters are a means to look politically correct when some crusade-of-the-week determines that no one needs to drive over 55 mph...

Gogo GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
So I get that there are sport imports, exotic supercars, and people that race their cars etc. But there are obviously ways the govt could easily regulate the sale of these cars and ways that car makers could meet requirements. I mean, manufacturers are jumping through hoops to meet emission standards. Hell we cant even get rear amber turn signals because of the DOT regs and VW has accommodated that.

As for buying a car for racing, that could be addressed with a special class of registration and restricted use— if the govt really wanted to. Im sure none of this happens because of the bottom line— money.

Im just saying that I cant think of any other product that is designed to break a law, and is actually marketed and advertised to the consumer in a romanticized way to do so. Especially now amidst the HP arms race going on. We have street legal 9 sec Demons, Teslas that do 0-60 in under 3 sec, and we even family Camrys touting 300hp. All the while they are all praising the safety of their cars. Seems like a contradictory message theyre sending out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
We’ve just taken delivery of new work vans that are fitted with masternaut tracking/driver behaviour monitors, the vans have factory fitted variable speed limiters, we have been instructed by head office that we must stay within the speed limits and will be monitored, I use the variable speed limiter to stay within the speed limit without the need to worry about going over, this however while sounding fine actually infuriates other road users, to the point of threats on occasion! It also highlights that NOBODY else on the road sticks to the speed limit, and I mean NOBODY, the only other drivers that do adhere to the limits appears to be HGV drivers and this is probably only due to having tachographs fitted, the limiter causes multiple issues when merging etc and in my opinion is potentially dangerous !