GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

big bass options from one sub?

currently i have two sa-12's in the back in a ported box, really thinking this was a bad idea. no room for groceries, and the subs are pretty heavy. i have been thinking about getting a single sub in a smaller box so i have room for groceries nd camera equipment. any ideas? i really like having a ton of bass, the stock fender sub wasnt cutting the mustard. would like it to be 1500 watts rms in 1 ohm or 750 in 2ohm.

Avanti

Go Kart Champion
currently i have two sa-12's in the back in a ported box, really thinking this was a bad idea. no room for groceries, and the subs are pretty heavy. i have been thinking about getting a single sub in a smaller box so i have room for groceries nd camera equipment. any ideas? i really like having a ton of bass, the stock fender sub wasnt cutting the mustard. would like it to be 1500 watts rms in 1 ohm or 750 in 2ohm.

It's not cutting the mustard for various reasons, in a car enviroment more isn't always better, also 1500w rms ???
I trust that is a typo?
Even if the car had a 100amp alternator, then you are talking 1400w, even if you could power the speakers and the speakers could handle that power, you would be pretty much deaf in a short space of time.

Consider an isobaric set up with 2*8" subs. MDF is a dense material so the weight is unavoidable, you are going to have to accept a space sacrifice of a least a sports holdall.

zimmie2652

Ready to race!
jl 10w6 would be my go to for what you're looking for.

mensaman

Ready to race!
It's going to be hard to find a single sub setup to match what the two sa-12's were giving you if they were setup anything like mine. I just pulled mine out because of the exact same issue you are having. I'm going with an ssa xcon setup when i get around to building a new box. It's in the 1500w rms - 2200w rms range. Its currently running on my mbquart dsc1500.1d in a hand me down sealed box, but at least I have room for groceries now. No problems running 1500w rms off the stock 140a alt so far either.

It's going to be hard to find a single sub setup to match what the two sa-12's were giving you if they were setup anything like mine. I just pulled mine out because of the exact same issue you are having. I'm going with an ssa xcon setup when i get around to building a new box. It's in the 1500w rms - 2200w rms range. Its currently running on my mbquart dsc1500.1d in a hand me down sealed box, but at least I have room for groceries now. No problems running 1500w rms off the stock 140a alt so far either.

well, i understand there will be compromise. a sealed box and only 10-15 inches of surface to move air versus 24 inches will definitely sound different. my thing is, i want a small enclosure but still have some good pounding, bowel shaking bass when i feel like turning it up

mensaman

Ready to race!
take a look at my thread, I have plenty of space, is invisible, 12in with a great bass ;)

Fender subwoofer upgrade

He actually posted on that thread. I think it's pretty much the defacto thread for adding aftermarket subwoofers and amplifiers. I know i used it. I think the problem is more trying to get higher spl from a smaller package. 2 sa-12's in 4-5^3 ft ported on 1500w rms in these hatches has a LOT of output. It's hard to match in less than half the space.