GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Bicycle Mounting Options

StealthGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
I have a hitch; so, I went with a rear carrier setup. However, I did something a bit different. After installing the hitch of my choice, an EcoHitch, and then chose a cargo platform instead of a bike carrier. I use Delta fork mounts to hold the bikes. They're often used to fasten bikes to either a 2x4 or the side rail of a pickup truck bed. The rear wheel is stabilized by a bungee cord... a little crude, but very functional.

The cool thing about the cargo carrier is that I can use it for things other than bikes...

I've considered a dedicated bike carrier, but it's only good for the one task. I think the cargo tray gives me more flexibility.

[edit] Also, having the cargo behind the car is quiet and more aerodynamic. It also renders the back-up camera useless. Trade-offs. [/edit]

Last edited:

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
[edit] Also, having the cargo behind the car is quiet and more aerodynamic. It also renders the back-up camera useless. Trade-offs. [/edit]
This isn't an issue if you bought an early model year peasant spec that doesn't have a backup camera :ROFLMAO:

@StealthGTI was super helpful and gave me a lot of direction and advice when I was shopping for a hitch.

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
I use the 1up, best rack for flexibility. I can go from roof rack, to hitch rack on my truck in about 10 minutes. Nice and secure, and fits my fatbike, MTB, skinny tire bike, all without any adapters.

I hate the roof rack option, but it’s temporary until I get into a place that has room for my truck as well. But this works for what I need.

5BF72AA5-F047-4D53-9959-0C8CE9785358.jpeg

Parabola

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI, 22 Tiguan
For tall vehicles like Tiguan, I would recommend a hitch. I have two Thule fork-mounted bike racks that I use with GTI, but for my wife’s Tiguan I will be installing rear hitch. I do not want to lift bikes that high and sometimes we need to carry 4 bikes, so hitch is a must.

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
A bit unconventional but I really like my SeaSucker Talon. https://www.seasucker.com/collections/bike

Easy to use and fits on pretty much any car. Hasn't let me down under excessive speeds. Downside is there's no security, they sell a cable lock attachment but I don't leave my bike up there unattended, you'll also need to put the SeaSucker away after use.

Mreed055

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Just stand on the door sill.

I'm the only road rider in the family so when I take my bike in the GTI it goes inside with the seats down, wheels on. No problems. For family vacations, we take the wife's RAV4 which has factory roof racks. I'm a big fan of Inno racks. They're well made and a good value for the money. They bolt onto the factory crossbars and lock everything but the front wheel. We only take my bike, so there's room for a Thule Sidekick roof box next to the bike.

Roof racks have height issues but they are easy to avoid. Rear mounted racks, hitch or platform, have rear clearance issues, plus your bike(s) will get a lot dirtier back there.

Inno, Thule, Yakima, Rocky Mounts, Saris, they all make good products at various price points. Beware of the cheap knock-off racks that will use inferior components. Look at the good brands first and you'll spot the cheapness.
Let’s see the pic of the road bike in the GTI with both wheels on. What size is yours? I’ve never been about to get mine in without taking the wheel off. Maybe I’m not finessing it right haha.

Mreed055

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Yea I got a 58cm Allez no way it’s fitting in with wheels. I wanna get a rack some day but right now being the only rider it’s just as easy to pop my wheel off. Maybe some day if I get a bike with a through axle I’ll invest so I don’t have to literally unbolt it haha.

FooDogg

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Alltrack S 6MT
I plan to venture out a bit more with my road bike and need a way to get it longer distances. My wife will likely be picking up a bike soon as well. We need something that makes sense for 2+ hr drives and keeps 2 bikes firmly in place with the option to lock them in place in the event that we need to leave the car.

I'd like something that I can use with my Golf, but would consider something that works for my Tiguan as well. The Tig has roof racks already, so I would just need to buy the cross bar sections with the mounts for a bike. It would be more difficult on the Tiguan considering it's so tall, so a rear hitch mounted style might be better. If I'm able to, I'd also like to explore options for the rear hitch on the Golf as well.

I see lots of different options online. What are the best? Who has something similar that can share?

Thanks
1Up is the best, on a 2" hitch.
Recommend the LED license plate bar or light bar alone for extra viz.

I swap the 1up off the Alltrack bumper to a teardrop with rear hitch and the lightbar can either connect to backup circuit via a 7pin dual harness upgrade from Curt, on the tow vehicle rear hitch, or if youhave only 4pin

just flip the manual switch on the lightbar for backup light...on a bike rack only 2"mount by Ecohitch (see E-trailer)

Last edited:
Reactions: krs

locness

ecommend the LED license plate bar or light bar alone for extra viz.
I have a hitch; so, I went with a rear carrier setup. However, I did something a bit different. After installing the hitch of my choice, an EcoHitch, and then chose a cargo platform instead of a bike carrier. I use Delta fork mounts to hold the bikes. They're often used to fasten bikes to either a 2x4 or the side rail of a pickup truck bed. The rear wheel is stabilized by a bungee cord... a little crude, but very functional.

The cool thing about the cargo carrier is that I can use it for things other than bikes...

I've considered a dedicated bike carrier, but it's only good for the one task. I think the cargo tray gives me more flexibility.

I'm going to go with a hitch because I'm not a fan of bike racks. Which hitch did you get and was it difficult to install?

StealthGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
I chose an EcoHitch, model #X7310...

I'm going to go with a hitch because I'm not a fan of bike racks. Which hitch did you get and was it difficult to install?

It's a little more involved than less expensive and easier-to-install hitches, particularly since the bumper skin has to come off and get a trim. But I like that it tucks a little higher, even if it's just an inch or two. Here are a few photos:

It sits higher than the lowest point of the car. I've never knocked it on a curb or bump; the muffler would take the hit far sooner...

[edit] My model is the 1.25" version. Two-inch models are more popular for hitch accessories and there's a 2-inch EcoHitch available for the GTI. However, I didn't choose it because it would sit a tad lower, maybe 3/4"? [/edit]

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
A bit unconventional but I really like my SeaSucker Talon. https://www.seasucker.com/collections/bike

Easy to use and fits on pretty much any car. Hasn't let me down under excessive speeds. Downside is there's no security, they sell a cable lock attachment but I don't leave my bike up there unattended, you'll also need to put the SeaSucker away after use.

You know, I was a Sea Sucker naysayer, and generally dislike roof racks after using them for a couple of decades and making the switch to hitch racks.

However, we just got back from a trip with six bikes and an Audi Q5. My buddy has a sketchy roof rack with cheap Craigslist trays and a four bike Heavy Duty 1Up on back. We ditched the roof rack and used a two bike Sea Sucker for the two road bikes with quick release axles (I realize it has adaptors for thru axles too) and it worked great. We got into a massive hail storm that dropped the temp about 25 degrees and while three of the four vacuum tabs popped out to orange, they were still securely mounted and held up to serious crosswinds before we pulled over and retightened them. Also, for science, we hit the speed governor with all six bikes attached with absolutely no drama.

I think I'll grab a single bike Sea Sucker to throw in my bike bag next time I fly with the bike to be able to keep it on the roof of any rental car. Pretty cool setup.

PerceivedShift

Autocross Champion
I chose an EcoHitch, model #X7310...

It's a little more involved than less expensive and easier-to-install hitches, particularly since the bumper skin has to come off and get a trim. But I like that it tucks a little higher, even if it's just an inch or two. Here are a few photos:

It sits higher than the lowest point of the car. I've never knocked it on a curb or bump; the muffler would take the hit far sooner...

[edit] My model is the 1.25" version. Two-inch models are more popular for hitch accessories and there's a 2-inch EcoHitch available for the GTI. However, I didn't choose it because it would sit a tad lower, maybe 3/4"? [/edit]
Installed the same hitch, this is by far the best option when you want a hitch but don't want the ugly bar. Its actually amazing how unnoticed it is to so many.