GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Bi-Xenon Passenger LED "U" light out

vwboi1

Car(s)
2015 GSW TDI SE 6MT
Hey guys!
I was coming up my inclined driveway the other day in the rain and I suddenly got a "Check Passenger DRL Light" warning (Bi-xenon HIDS- Lighting package). The dealer says I need a whole new headlight unit. Looking online i see they have a few ballasts/ or modules on the bottom, maybe this could be the culprit? Looking for any advise on how to resolve the light.

ZERO815

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
IMG_6017.JPG

IMG_5284.JPG

Take your front bumper off, swap module (the front facing one)
4G0907697G
between driver and passenger side and check if error follows.

vwboi1

Car(s)
2015 GSW TDI SE 6MT
Awesome! will give that a go this weekend. It seems to have shut down the adaptive lighting too. I am out of warranty unfortunately

dawooj

Passed Driver's Ed
Raising an old but still most recent thread.

I had the same issue happen last week when I drove through a lot of standing water during a downpour. This is the second time that this has happened to me - previously, it was fixed by the dealer under warranty. This time, I replaced the DRL LED module on my own (lowest price I found was on ebay 4G0907697 F or G).

When I separated it from the headlight housing, I was surprised to find it full of water [link to vid]. A whole lot of dirty water came out of the case. The module unfortunately acts as a low point for the forward part of the headlight housing despite it having vents. Excess water will make it down through the connector, shorting it.

Poor design, if you ask me, since there are seals in the module cover and it seals to the headlight housing; It acts like a catch can. Not sure how to prevent this from happening in the future other than avoiding standing water/puddles as much as possible.

I'm going to dry out my old unit and see if the circuitry is still good. Would be worth holding on to in case this happens again. If only it was easier to access without partially removing the bumper cover - another great design choice :rolleyes:.

IMG-5113.jpg

crode

Car(s)
13' Golf 1.4TSI DSG
I noticed my one DRL light was out a few weeks back and it hasn't come back on since.
The car dosen't give me a warning nor error dash light saying the DRL is out.

I've checked the fuses and they look good. Is it possible that it's the module that needs replacement?
Thanks in advance

DSC_1964-01.jpeg

dawooj

Passed Driver's Ed
The LED DRL is controlled by this module. It's most likely the case. You can try swapping the modules as ZERO815 recommends to diagnose it before replacing anything.

After mine went out, I cleared the code with my OBDeleven and the error msg didn't return even though I drove with the bad module for several days.