GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

BFI Stage 1 Engine & Tranny Mounts

nicholam77

Go Kart Champion
Got my s1 motor and trans mounts installed this afternoon! Big thanks to Twist for all the info about alignment, I feel confident about the install this time. And very minimal vibrations so far, although I just went on a quick drive to test. So that's a good sign. Excited to see how they do on a longer drive and as they break in.

nicholam77

Go Kart Champion
Just an update:

I have a little over 300 miles on my BFI engine and trans mounts now and they are great. I do have some unwanted vibrations starting from 1st, especially on a hill, but I attribute them mostly to the 034 upper.

No vibes at idle, and driving, aggressively or not, is very very mild. Completely happy on that front.

They did change the engine / exhaust note a bit, and I would say for the better. Perfect for a daily driver.

I still have some engine bucking in low gears and a slight lurch on throttle application, but I don't know why. I'm starting to think it's not the mounts.

All-in-all I'm happy with the BFI mounts, and feel like I got them installed properly, so thanks to everyone for all the info in this thread.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
The BFI trans mount insert (stage 1) i got is slightly taller than the OEM insert (about 2mm). Is that fine? I had to use more force to clamp the two trans mount housing halves together, obviously, but upon completion it feels solid with less rubber movement than with the OEM insert.

CarolinaPanthers

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
18 GTI 6mt
This thread is awesome! So much useful information regarding install/alignment. This may have been answered already, but I'm looking at the revised transmission mount (per this thread) which does not have the alignment hole the OEM style mounts have. Being as that there is a wealth of knowledge here, any other tips and tricks for aligning the new style transmission mount?

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
18 minutes is too long. Can you summarize the video content? I'll watch it in full later.

The first 3/4 is the DIY installation, second part is bitching about IE V1 intake being junk, and the third part is the review from Matt (owner of the car).

Only thing I plan to summarize is a shorter video with some of these clips reused to highlight the junk IE intake.

Hambone

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2020 TR GTI SE
Really wish I had found this thread before the install. Santa was good to me this year and I got full BFI Stage 1 mounts. Definitely going to need to go back and check the alignment on them. I am pretty confident my engine mount is aligned, but I'm likely going to have to put the car back up and work on the transmission mount to make sure its aligned properly.

Make sure to read this thread before you install if you get the BFI mounts! There is more nuance to the install than I expected, and learning from other's experiences will save you a lot of headache.

DrFunkalupicus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI S
Really wish I had found this thread before the install. Santa was good to me this year and I got full BFI Stage 1 mounts. Definitely going to need to go back and check the alignment on them. I am pretty confident my engine mount is aligned, but I'm likely going to have to put the car back up and work on the transmission mount to make sure its aligned properly.

Make sure to read this thread before you install if you get the BFI mounts! There is more nuance to the install than I expected, and learning from other's experiences will save you a lot of headache.
What makes you think it isn't aligned properly?

nok513

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 VW GTI S

Waiting for my transmission insert and engine mount to be shipped.

What issues did you come across and why do you think your alignment is off?

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
They’re mounts, with bolt holes. I don’t remember needing to screw with alignment of the mounts. They went right in.

nok513

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 VW GTI S
They’re mounts, with bolt holes. I don’t remember needing to screw with alignment of the mounts. They went right in.
That's what I figured. Seen a few videos on the installs so I was wondering what he's referring to. The only issue I would have assumed was he might have shifted the engine/trans?

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
That's what I figured. Seen a few videos on the installs so I was wondering what he's referring to. The only issue I would have assumed was he might have shifted the engine/trans?

Guess we’ll see, but that would only affect getting the bolts aligned initially, which I could see happening. But once they’re started on the threads, you shouldn’t have any problems, at least I didn’t.

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
just because the bolts go in holes does not mean they are properly aligned. read this thread from around pages 8-10.

@Twist1 made a pretty good video about it:

It shouldn't matter on the side to side placement of the mount if you are only doing one mount at a time, the engine is not moving, your mount is. All four threaded holes on the engine and frame side stay in the same place. You can move the mount either way, but the threaded holes you're putting the bolts into haven't moved. I could see if you had them both off for whatever reason, then you would need the measurements to center the drivetrain again.

image 1.JPG