GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

BFI Shift Knob for Auto Transmission Install Question

TJN

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 Alltrack S
Yes, you have to pull on it to shift as there is no button. I like it but my OCD can't get over the fact that it's free playing like this. Joe at BFI confirmed that it's normal but without seeing the video.

Here is his response to my inquiry:

We had some trouble opening the video - but to answer your question in general - yes there is a bit of play between the the inner sliding shaft and the outer adapter with set screws. There needs to be some tolerance to allow the center shaft to slide along the set screws.

One thing to make sure, is to tighten the set screws as well as you can, since they are cup point, they have a bevled nose, so they are not at full width if they aren't screwed in all the way, which can make it feel like there is more slop than there should be.

That being said there will always be a bit of play. But there is also play in the rod - people generally don't notice with the stock knob, because they don't give it as much attention.

I hope that answers your question - let us know if you have any others.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

nype

Drag Racing Champion
Had you known beforehand...

Sorry about it. That would bother me as well.

Hope you are able to tighten it up somehow.

TJN

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 Alltrack S
Had you known beforehand...

Sorry about it. That would bother me as well.

Hope you are able to tighten it up somehow.
No, I had no idea as none of the reviews or install videos mention that. You can't tighten it further.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

nype

Drag Racing Champion