GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

BFI Heavy Weight Shift Knob and stock boot modification

ILuvLamp

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7 Golf R
I love the look and feel of the BFI Heavy Weight shift knob in my MK7 Golf R, but I have never been a fan of how the stock boot looks when used with one of these knobs. The shaft of the BFI knob is skinnier than the shaft of the stock shifter. This causes the boot to look bunched up or sloppy when using the BFI knob. To fix this I went hunting for the perfect grommet to take up the extra space and create a cleaner look. I believe I have found that grommet. I bought this grommet from Home Depot and it was delivered for about $1.50. I used a piece of thin steel wire instead of a zip tie to fasten the two together. Here’s the finished product.

909C44CC-3672-4E2A-AABD-36E3870BAA29.jpeg
F30A0EE8-CA98-463E-B997-B9A8FD2BBC3D.jpeg

This is the grommet I bought from Home Depot:
0014A1E9-807C-4811-A6BE-59B3AEE15B30.jpeg

wvw89

Thanks for doing the mental leg work for me on cleaning that boot up... The shaft on the 1.8tsi's five speed causes the knob to sit super high. Did a little surgery with a hack saw to bring it down and ended up with a bit of a poor man's short shifter. Unfortunately that put the clamping portion on the knob below the knurled section of the shaft, single wrap of electrical tape to the rescue....hopefully holds, live and learn.

It's just an issue with it spinning without the tape no way for the knob to slide up the shaft as the knurled section prevents that vertical movement.

Thanks again!
1000004368.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20230920_191523590.jpg
    PXL_20230920_191523590.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 26

ksurl

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE DSG
looks good. new weekend project for me.

so unscrew the knob, pull the trim up, cut the old ziptie, fit the grommet on the shaft, then rezip the boot onto it? then reattach knob after setting trim back in

Last edited: