GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

BFI Heavy Weight Golf Ball Shift Knob - Install

tpellegr

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI S 6MT
Hi All -

I ordered the BFI heavy weight golf ball shift knob last week and it is arriving in the mail on Friday. Planning to do a quick writeup on the install if anyone is interested since I had a hard time finding one on the forums or youtube. Loctite and tools ready to go. Should be able to have it in sometime this weekend or early next week. Stay tuned.

https://store.blackforestindustries.com/bfiheweshkng1.html

boostin1004

Ready to race!
good luck with it. i got through it fairly easily. i ended up breaking off the plastic collar since it just made life so much easier.

tpellegr

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI S 6MT
Received the shift knob in the mail today. Don't have time to do the install tonight but should have it in sometime this weekend. Looks gorgeous!! I'm pumped.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

tpellegr

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI S 6MT
good luck with it. i got through it fairly easily. i ended up breaking off the plastic collar since it just made life so much easier.
Yeah. Will probably end up doing the same thing, but gonna try to hit it with a hair dryer first to see if that helps. I'll keep you posted.

tpellegr

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI S 6MT
Just finished up the install and I'm extremely happy with the results. The knob looks great and feels much more substantial than the hollow stock shifter. The only tough part of the install was removing the OEM knob from the boot. Full DIY instructions on the way tomorrow.

tpellegr

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI S 6MT
Installation took roughly 30 minutes

Tools needed:
Small regular head screw driver
Hair dryer
Loctite 222 MS (important to buy MS "military spec" Loctite as is it is designed for use with small screws and bolts)

Step 1: Remove OEM shift boot and frame (press forward on the two clips hidden inside the front of the boot).

Step 2: Loosen the clamp holding the OEM shift knob to the shaft until the knob can be removed by pulling upward (insert the small screw driver and torque gently back and forth until loosened).

Step 3: Heat the plastic fastener holding the OEM knob to the boot. Once the fastener is softened, use the small flat head to bend open the plastic flange until the knob can be pulled loose.

Step 4: Insert the BFI shifter knob into the stock boot and tighten the included zip-tie. Once tightened, roll back the boot to expose the three screw holes.

Step 5: Replace the knob on top of the shifter shaft and secure using the included screws. Be sure to apply Loctite to the screws before securing them. Once secured, reattach the shift boot frame (rear side first).

Step 6: Finally, remove the adhesive backing from the BFI shifter coin, align atop the new knob, and apply.

ENJOY YOUR NEW SHIFTER KNOB

raydub

Ready to race!
Love this write-up! Can you take a pic from the side? I'm wondering, after all's done, if the overall height of the knob was lower, and by how much.

Also, do you notice the throws feel any different? Shorter? Heavier? More satisfying?

Lastly, does the golf ball feel a lot smaller than the stock?

tpellegr

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI S 6MT
Hey, glad you found it helpful. Here's a pic from the side I took about a month back.

https://i.imgur.com/ndr8Is1h.jpg

I'll take another for you when I have a chance. Height is adjustable (set where you like it before you tighten the small screws). This is on the lowest setting.

Golf ball feels about the same size as stock but is much more solid in hand. The leather feels great. Heavier weight makes shifting feel much more substaintial.

Would highly recommend this knob. BFI makes high quality products and you can tell build quality is top notch.

Love this write-up! Can you take a pic from the side? I'm wondering, after all's done, if the overall height of the knob was lower, and by how much.

Also, do you notice the throws feel any different? Shorter? Heavier? More satisfying?

Lastly, does the golf ball feel a lot smaller than the stock?

raydub

Ready to race!
love it! ordered : ) thanks for the reply!

Hey, glad you found it helpful. Here's a pic from the side I took about a month back.

https://i.imgur.com/ndr8Is1h.jpg

I'll take another for you when I have a chance. Height is adjustable (set where you like it before you tighten the small screws). This is on the lowest setting.

Golf ball feels about the same size as stock but is much more solid in hand. The leather feels great. Heavier weight makes shifting feel much more substaintial.

Would highly recommend this knob. BFI makes high quality products and you can tell build quality is top notch.

Willrivz

Question. Just installed mine. I prefer it sitting higher so I tightened the screws at basically the start of the thread pattern. Feel a slight mobility in the knob itself like it is not tightened all the way. Don’t know if this is because it’s too high (not having enough support) or screws have to be adjusted. Every video online has these knobs being installed the lowest they can go which just isn’t my taste. Any recommendations or solutions would be appreciated. Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tpellegr

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI S 6MT
Hmm. Not sure. I also installed mine on the lowest setting so no base of reference. Maybe try readjusting and retightening with loctite? I feel no movement in mine whatsoever.

Good luck and let us know if you get it resolved. Wish I could be more help, sorry.
Question. Just installed mine. I prefer it sitting higher so I tightened the screws at basically the start of the thread pattern. Feel a slight mobility in the knob itself like it is not tightened all the way. Don’t know if this is because it’s too high (not having enough support) or screws have to be adjusted. Every video online has these knobs being installed the lowest they can go which just isn’t my taste. Any recommendations or solutions would be appreciated. Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk