GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Best way to wire up RGB footwell lighting?

Shadowtuy

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
I was given a OPT7 Lighting kit from my friend as a congratz on getting a good car gift.

I'm trying to brainstorm on the best way to wire it in complicated or easy. It uses a cigarette lighter for power and that would look terrible. It has a remote to control the light color as well.

My GTI has that "control lights form head unit" feature so maybe can could be a part of it? Give me ideas oh masters of the golf!

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
I was given a OPT7 Lighting kit from my friend as a congratz on getting a good car gift.

I'm trying to brainstorm on the best way to wire it in complicated or easy. It uses a cigarette lighter for power and that would look terrible. It has a remote to control the light color as well.

My GTI has that "control lights form head unit" feature so maybe can could be a part of it? Give me ideas oh masters of the golf!
No, you cannot control them from your infotainment.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Instead of plugging into your cigarette lighter, you can use something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D5TK69S/

That will at least allow you to hide all the wires.

Unfortunately, as IWMTom said, there is no way to control them with the infotainment.

Shadowtuy

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Instead of plugging into your cigarette lighter, you can use something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D5TK69S/

That will at least allow you to hide all the wires.

Unfortunately, as IWMTom said, there is no way to control them with the infotainment.
Got it, I figured it wouldn't. Maybe I could patch into the foot well lighting with that cable so it turns on when I open the door and what not.

Shadowtuy

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
After digging around, I am unsure where to tap into.
I was thinking the fuse for interior lighting if I could find it.