GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Best way to improve sound for $500

heftysmurf

Ready to race!
So I have a base model 2021 GTI S and was wondering what is the best (for a $500 budget) to get better sound.....Helix kit or replacing the speakers?

HelloNewman

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7
I replaced the speakers and tweeters prior to installing the Helix. I went with JBL stadium setup, it made a huge improvement over factory.

heftysmurf

Ready to race!
I replaced the speakers and tweeters prior to installing the Helix. I went with JBL stadium setup, it made a huge improvement over factory.
So would you say that the factory headunit has enough juice to support better speakers?
So which would you do either or?

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
You get a DSP and a sub with the helix. I'm extremely happy with mine for the price and ease of install, really improved the stock speakers once I programmed it to the correct number for my model. If anything I'd probably toss some bass blockers on the tweeter connections to improve it further, but haven't been bothered by it enough to get around to it.

HelloNewman

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7
So would you say that the factory headunit has enough juice to support better speakers?
So which would you do either or?
Depends on your budget and needs. Speakers and tweeters make a great improvement and are easy to DIY. The helix adds some sorely needed bass (at least if you listen to that kind of music) I started off with just speakers but the increased mids and highs really brought out the lack of bass for me. The combination of speakers/tweeters/helix has me at 85% satisfaction. I wish there was a tiny bit more bass but honestly it's more than sufficient for what it is. especially when you consider the entire setup cost me less than $1000 which is pretty damn cheap all things considered.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD

heftysmurf

Ready to race!
If you do pick up a helix new, shop around online as some dealers offer pretty decent discounts. Looks like VW of Murrieta where I picked mine up has them for 25% off currently:
https://parts.vwofmurrieta.com/p/Vo...-Subwoofer--Soundbox/70346182/000051419B.html

VW also offers rebates, looks like it's currently 15% cash back on a prepaid card on accessories until the 30th.
https://www.volkswagenrebates.com/
So it says that it "Does not fit my 2021".....is it the programming?
Physically I know it fits.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
So it says that it "Does not fit my 2021".....is it the programming?
Physically I know it fits.
Someone else with a 21 S has done the install, quick skim it looks like the only difference is the connections are behind the touch screen and not in the glove box:
https://golfmk7.com/forums/index.ph...-upgrade-information-post.346458/post-7626558

Doesn't look like they mentioned what they programed it to, but if you rent a dongle you can always play around with the different files and pick which ever one sounds best to you.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
Agreed Helix is most bang for buck. Definitely do that first, and see if you’re still wanting cones. I guess it depends on the style of music you listen to. I prefer Helix over Fender for electronic/hip hop, but Fender would likely be preferred by a rock guy.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I think it depends if you're going to stay at that $500 limit or build on that. If it's the only $500 you plan to spend on the sound system, i couldn't be happier with just a speaker upgrade . If you plan to build on the system, that Helix amplifier is the jewel of that setup. The actual sub is sub par.

I detailed what I did in the below thread.
https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/inde...system-with-jl-c1-650-and-jbl-gto-629.374814/

Last edited:

HelloNewman

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7