GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Best way to go about changing a clutch in VW MK7 1.4TSI BMT?

VWKS

Car(s)
VW GOLF 1.4TSI BMT
Hi All,

(Original post modified for any spectators).

I’ve owned a manual GOLF MK7 TSI 1.4 BMT for 5 and a half months.

THE MAIN ISSUE I noticed and ended up getting an expert opinion on as seen in the replies:

After the past few days my car was revving really high even when I’m hardly pushing down the accelerator. I can be in gear 2/3 doing 20-30mph and the RPM is quickly racing into the 4-5000 range along with noticeably increased engine noise and smell.

Also, the dreadful gear change indicator (I really wish I could turn this off) has started to say I’m in gear 2 when really I’m in gear 4 and going at about 35-40mph. Infact the indicator it started shifting through different numbers as if it was struggling to find a gear.

clutch ended up slipping today and I had to pull over on an A road with hazards. Luckily towed to a safer area by ongoing police.

———//———//———

now is the sad part - a clutch replacement…

I’ve seen quotes from some replies below saying anything between £1-2k which you can imagine comes to me as a big Loss. Considering my spec, how do I go about getting parts and what exactly do I need. Should I do the job with Volkswagen directly?

Last edited:

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
Increase in engine rpm without a corresponding increase in speed, together with the gear indicator showing the wrong gear are usually signs of a slipping clutch.

It's Sam

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
X3 M40i
If you're a manual and not an automatic then the kickdown switch doesn't do anything. It's there so when you're driving an auto, the transmission knows to jump to the lowest possible gear so you can go full send and accelerate. In a manual, since you control the gears, there's no way for the car to "kick down" to a low gear. In the case of a manual, all you're doing is giving 100% throttle.

I hate to assume something, but your clutch might be giving out from increased strain.

VWKS

Car(s)
VW GOLF 1.4TSI BMT
Increase in engine rpm without a corresponding increase in speed, together with the gear indicator showing the wrong gear are usually signs of a slipping clutch.
Yes, my clutch has just failed on a drive out, and I’m all but stranded, will this be an expensive fix?

VWKS

Car(s)
VW GOLF 1.4TSI BMT
If you're a manual and not an automatic then the kickdown switch doesn't do anything. It's there so when you're driving an auto, the transmission knows to jump to the lowest possible gear so you can go full send and accelerate. In a manual, since you control the gears, there's no way for the car to "kick down" to a low gear. In the case of a manual, all you're doing is giving 100% throttle.

I hate to assume something, but your clutch might be giving out from increased strain.
Yes, my clutch has just failed on a drive out, and I’m all but stranded, will this be an expensive fix?

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI

Yes. like 1-1.5K pounds based on my estimation of exchange rates.

Just dont get an OEM clutch - get an aftermarket one. make it worht your time.

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
If you can change it yourself, its cheaper, if not, then yes. You're looking at 2K pounds, with labour and a decent unit.

VWKS

Car(s)
VW GOLF 1.4TSI BMT
Hi All,

thanks for the responses and advice. I’ve updated the original post with some new questions about the clutch replacement as you can imagine I’d like to do this in the most cost effective way, whilst also maintaining quality.

Considering my spec, how do I go about getting parts and what exactly do I need. Should I do the job with Volkswagen directly?

OldVWFan

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 GTI Sport
You might try contacting this person: williamsmobileclutch.co.uk. He has done a lot of youtube videos doing clutch replacement in the UK. The videos indicate that he is out of Essex. Phone number given is 07376369067. Maybe he can give an estimate and he can get all the parts. Good Luck!

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
To do it yourself, its not just the parts its the tools, like engine supports, big axle stands, jacks etc & alignment tools..beside the basic sockets, torque wrenches etc..

Not something I'd do as I don't have the engine supports...& value my back!!

I'd use OEM parts (nuts/bolts).& a Sachs 15% stronger clutch kit... this is a link to the Sachs page for my car..please double check for your car:-

Performance Clutch VW Golf VII BA5 1.4 TSI from ZF SACHS (sachsperformance.com)

VWKS

Car(s)
VW GOLF 1.4TSI BMT
You might try contacting this person: williamsmobileclutch.co.uk. He has done a lot of youtube videos doing clutch replacement in the UK. The videos indicate that he is out of Essex. Phone number given is 07376369067. Maybe he can give an estimate and he can get all the parts. Good Luck!
thanks, I've found his YouTube channel too

VWKS

Car(s)
VW GOLF 1.4TSI BMT
To do it yourself, its not just the parts its the tools, like engine supports, big axle stands, jacks etc & alignment tools..beside the basic sockets, torque wrenches etc..

Not something I'd do as I don't have the engine supports...& value my back!!

I'd use OEM parts (nuts/bolts).& a Sachs 15% stronger clutch kit... this is a link to the Sachs page for my car..please double check for your car:-

Performance Clutch VW Golf VII BA5 1.4 TSI from ZF SACHS (sachsperformance.com)
I've been quoted a decent price from a mechanic with such tools/engine supports/stands. It seems he's also giving me the option to choose which clutch kit to use too so I will take a look at your link thanks.