GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Best VCDS/OBDEleven Wiper Mod

dietcokefiend

Master of Disaster
As we hit the rainy season, I wanted to bring up a quick OBDEleven tweak that helps reduce or prevent wiper chop. By default our cars have a "Slow travel to Parking Position" setting turned on, so when the wipers come to a rest, the speed for the wiper motor slowly trails off to a soft stop. The problem this causes is there is less torque movement and the wiper will just to stutter as it reaches the stopping position. Disabling the feature completely stops the behavior.

Its under Central Electronics, switch to the wiper subsystem and go into long coding. VCDS has the bit labeled. OBDEleven you need to uncheck the right bit.

Select Byte 2, uncheck bit 6.

Attachments

• 6B039296-2E86-4F25-9C1A-4DBCBF154A42.jpg
    6B039296-2E86-4F25-9C1A-4DBCBF154A42.jpg
    562.6 KB · Views: 1,060

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Interesting..... I'll have to look this up

ManInTheClouds

Ready to race!
All this actually means is your windshield is dirty with road film.

Clean it off with bon ami 1886 or something, and it will totally go away.

dietcokefiend

Master of Disaster

Had this happen on my first Rabbit earlier this year, with the glass cleaned, as well as my recent DSG Rabbit with the glass also clean. The OE wipers were awful, but with brand new wipers there was a subtle chatter right as it neared a stop. Turning off this feature made them work perfectly.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Be aware this will cause your wiper motor to wear out faster. Motors like having a slow deceleration before stopping or switching directions. Torque spikes like that aren't great for it

By no means am i saying this will guaranteed kill it or make it die immediately, but it can cause some premature wear-out

dietcokefiend

Master of Disaster
Be aware this will cause your wiper motor to wear out faster. Motors like having a slow deceleration before stopping or switching directions. Torque spikes like that aren't great for it

By no means am i saying this will guaranteed kill it or make it die immediately, but it can cause some premature wear-out

During continuous motion this doesn’t come into play, the motor still trails to a stop, just not the prolonged gradual decrease.

ManInTheClouds

Ready to race!
Had this happen on my first Rabbit earlier this year, with the glass cleaned, as well as my recent DSG Rabbit with the glass also clean. The OE wipers were awful, but with brand new wipers there was a subtle chatter right as it neared a stop. Turning off this feature made them work perfectly.

Glass cleaner is not enough to get rid of oily film.

You need to use a mild polish like BonAmi 1886, Wolfgang Glass Polish, #0000 steel wool, etc.

There's an actual BMW TSB for what you're trying to prevent.

nype

Drag Racing Champion

Interesting. I have spoken to BMW about squeaky wipers on our X5 a few times. They have said, oh it's just a BMW thing. Really?

Brand new BMW wiper blades did not help.

Any idea what this TSB number is, so I can point them to it?

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Interesting. I have spoken to BMW about squeaky wipers on our X5 a few times. They have said, oh it's just a BMW thing. Really?

Brand new BMW wiper blades did not help.

Any idea what this TSB number is, so I can point them to it?
Not really sure how a dirty windshield would warrant a TSB