GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Best Tyres For GTD/ GTI

rapport25

Go Kart Champion
Hi Guys,

My GTD came with Bridgestones, which I don't rate. Poor grip & very noisy.

Since my remap to 220 bhp & 500nm of torque I don't feel they are up to the job.

What tyres suit a performance Golf the best? I have always rated P Zero's and told the Conti's are good.

Many Thanks,

Rappy:cool:

finallyGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Mine came with Dunlop SP Sport Maxx GT... ok. But on hard braking rear become unstable. Now have Michelin Pilot Super Sport... perfect. Lost a bit grip on wet, but on dry much better than Dunlop.

Boyfrom64

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi Guys,

Since my remap to 220 bhp & 500nm of torque I don't feel they are up to the job.

What tyres suit a performance Golf the best? I have always rated P Zero's and told the Conti's are good.

Many Thanks,

I have always found Conti's to be quite a soft compound which give good grip but will not last very long.

Mine came with Dunlop SP Sport Maxx GT... ok. But on hard braking rear become unstable. Now have Michelin Pilot Super Sport... perfect. Lost a bit grip on wet, but on dry much better than Dunlop.

On my CC I to switched to Michelin's which have a harder compound, still give a good amount of grip and last considerably longer.

Unclespud

Ready to race!
Hi Guys,

Many Thanks,

I can't recommend Michelin Pilot Super Sports highly enough. Granted, it's a summer performance tire, but it does well in wet weather (which should suit your climate well). Great feel, comfortable ride, sensational traction/grip, wears well, not noisy. They are expensive though: $185 USD/tire. I had them on my '13 Mustang GT (420 HP/390 TQ, plus a tune), and they transformed the car. I've used Continental Extreme Contact DW's before on another vehicle (not to be confused with Conti's DWS)--much softer compound, and they wear quickly, but considerably less expensive than the MPSS, and a decent performance tire as well.

My GTI came with stock Bridgestone all-season tires (a ridiculous choice for a car sold in the Las Vegas desert), which routinely triggered the traction control light under boost after installing the Neuspeed Power Module. The MPSS's cured the problem. They also cured wheel spin, fishtailing, and wheel hop problems with my Mustang. Lest you think I'm a Michelin fanboy, the absolute worst tire I've used was the Michelin MXV4 Energy (OEM on my wife's Accord). Good luck with your choice in any event.

mcmaddy

Ready to race!
Any conti's will last longer than Goodyear's and contis aren't that soft a tyre. I've got 14k out of mine and they still have 4mm left on the front and nearly 6 on the back. And tyre you put on will be better than the bridgestones haha

pjr

Ready to race!
I have Contisport 2 on my GTI, and they seem to be lasting quite well - the only real traction problems I've had is on hard acceleration in low gears in the wet.

After approx 8,000 miles at my first service I had 6mm on the fronts and 7mm on the backs.

Lane One

Passed Driver's Ed
GTD came with Bridgestones. They are really noisy, especially on the lighter coloured, concrete motorway surface. Also get a lot of vibration through the car on this surface type.

MachineAge

+1 for Cont Extreme Contact DW. Great performance without harshness and they wore well on a 530i. And cheap from tire rack.

The factory all seasons on my gti are awful.

RjRacing

Go Kart Champion
Anyone tried the all season variants of the super sports?

Yes, I run the Michelin Pilot Sport AS3's in the Fall/Winter and they are great tires. Arguably the best year round performance tire on the market.

Stigosaurus

Agree on the Michelin PS AS3. Not clear to me that they are available in the UK, but they would suit the winters in most of Britain, since you don't often get the heavy snow and extreme cold we get in much of the US.

vrod

Ready to race!
I suppose we are talking Bridgestone Potenza here? My GTI came with them and I'm not satisfied with these at all either!

sumakor

MPSS vs AS Pirellis, wow

Just replaced the stock Pirelli Cinturato all-seasons after 40k miles with the Michelin Pilot Super Sports, hoping for a bit more grip in hard cornering and acceleration. (Hard to get 0-60 times without ESC interfering with the stock tires). Didn't expect a big difference day-to-day driving to work.

Well, wow. This is different. Just turning into my neighborhood at 25 mph the risk of hitting the inside curb briefly crossed my mind, the turn-in was very noticeably more aggressive. I don't usually chirp the tires turning into a neighborhood anyway but now it's really on rails.

Driving in a straight line at 40-50mph requires a bit more attention because every little tug of the wheel is translated into yaw. It's an obvious difference even off the highway. They're also a bit louder, maybe 1dB or less but that's noticeable too.

My point is is doesn't take a track day or even aggressive street driving to feel this improvement from All-Season to good Max Performance Summer tires; it may be a waste of tires but I'll feel it all the time commuting to work in traffic.