GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Best tuning

Ahmed Ali

Car(s)
Mk7
What are your experiences in tuning the car? I own a Golf 7 manual system with a 1200cc engine. So if I had tuned the car in a first or second stage, would the engine or transmission spoil, knowing that I am in a country that has a hot climate?

starsmith

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 Urano Grey GTI
You have a 1.2L engine and you want to tune it. Are you trying to beat a lawnmower in a drag race?
Don't hate, not all of us are racing for pinks out here. The fun of tuning is getting the most out of the car that you've got. With that said this thread does belong in Golf Engine/Drivetrain/Exhaust/Tunes, where people might be more knowledgeable.

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI, Camaro ZL1
You have a 1.2L engine and you want to tune it. Are you trying to beat a lawnmower in a drag race?

Lol you drive a 2L and you’re trying to dick on someone about displacement... You kidding bro? You sound like a stock C6 Corvette owner 🤣 How big does an engine have to be for it to warrant being tuned? 1.5 liters? 2 liters? I’d love to know the cutoff point.

starsmith

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 Urano Grey GTI
Getting back to the original question: I suspect that additional wear due to higher coolant, oil, or transmission temperatures will not be the biggest issue for you in hot weather, because the cooling system is actually pretty robust on these cars. Rather, the biggest limitation for making extra power in hot weather in these cars is high intake air temperatures (IAT). This can be alleviated with a good intercooler, but I'm not sure what's available for the 1.2T.

Ahmed Ali

Car(s)
Mk7
I do not think it is good for you to make fun of me, my friend, in my country everything is very expensive. For example, if I wanted to put a 2000cc engine, it would cost me 150,000. Do you not think that it is a large sum? So I try to find other solutions, and finally, thank you.

Reggie Enchilada

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
yes
Lol you drive a 2L and you’re trying to dick on someone about displacement... You kidding bro? You sound like a stock C6 Corvette owner 🤣 How big does an engine have to be for it to warrant being tuned? 1.5 liters? 2 liters? I’d love to know the cutoff point.
It's not so much about the displacement as it is about the engine itself. That 1.2 is just not built for performance. It's either an EA111 or EA211 depending on the production year. The pistons and rods aren't forged, the intercooler is integral to the intake manifold, and the list goes on. It's an economy car through and through.

I do not think it is good for you to make fun of me, my friend, in my country everything is very expensive. For example, if I wanted to put a 2000cc engine, it would cost me 150,000. Do you not think that it is a large sum? So I try to find other solutions, and finally, thank you.
I'm trying to help you not waste a huge amount of money for very little gain on something that's not a viable tuning platform. A half-decent remap can cost over 4,700 Egyptian pounds, plus the installation cost, plus the cost of a clutch. Then you have to consider the climate that you're in. Small high strung engines typically don't handle heat well. There's also the increased maintenance costs and shortened maintenance intervals to consider.

Do yourself a favor and enjoy the car as it is. Save the money that you would spend on modifications and put it towards a project car that's more performance oriented.

the

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI
Save the money that you would spend on modifications and put it towards a project car that's more performance oriented.
I agree with this, you should save up some money and buy a used Mazdaspeed3. From 2007-2013 they are all 265 HP and even the base model has an LSD. Quite easy to push them to 300hp as well. They 07-08 models are very suble looking, and can be had for 4-8k USD.

starsmith

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 Urano Grey GTI
I agree with this, you should save up some money and buy a used Mazdaspeed3. From 2007-2013 they are all 265 HP and even the base model has an LSD. Quite easy to push them to 300hp as well. They 07-08 models are very suble looking, and can be had for 4-8k USD.
1616625205222.png

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
It's not so much about the displacement as it is about the engine itself. That 1.2 is just not built for performance. It's either an EA111 or EA211 depending on the production year. The pistons and rods aren't forged, the intercooler is integral to the intake manifold, and the list goes on. It's an economy car through and through.

I'm trying to help you not waste a huge amount of money for very little gain on something that's not a viable tuning platform. A half-decent remap can cost over 4,700 Egyptian pounds, plus the installation cost, plus the cost of a clutch. Then you have to consider the climate that you're in. Small high strung engines typically don't handle heat well. There's also the increased maintenance costs and shortened maintenance intervals to consider.

Do yourself a favor and enjoy the car as it is. Save the money that you would spend on modifications and put it towards a project car that's more performance oriented.

200 (8).gif

I'll admit, your initial post made me laugh.

seanmcd1

Autocross Newbie
What are your experiences in tuning the car? I own a Golf 7 manual system with a 1200cc engine. So if I had tuned the car in a first or second stage, would the engine or transmission spoil, knowing that I am in a country that has a hot climate?
I'm not sure you will find a lot of people here with experience tuning the 1.2L. On the other hand - I live in a very hot state, and my car seems to do just fine after 25K miles with a stage 1 tune. Does your fuel have ethanol in it in Egypt? Looking at APR's tune - you can gain +26 horsepower and +37 ft-lbs torque (measured at the wheels) with 98 Ron fuel.

Last edited:

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
Jumping in here because I'm excited, I just found out that I trophied in our local SCCA region with my relatively close to stock NA 2.0 jetta wagon... anything can be a racecar, even if the forums don't love it.

Your biggest benefits aren't going to be chasing raw power though -- you can make a ton of improvement in a good set of tires, and things like a lightweight flywheel and stiffer mounts will help get the power you're already making to the ground, and will have far less impact on reliability than trying to squeeze every last pony out of your engine. Not as cool to talk about on forums, but if I can do it with a >3000lb station wagon with a solid rear beam and ~130hp, I firmly believe anything can be a racecar.