GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Best tune for golf r

MKGolfr

Car(s)
2019 VW Golf R
I think each tune has its pros and cons., but after some prolonged research on tunes, I’m planning to go with UM. Mostly it has to do with Flex fuel tune. Those who are playing to take this platform to its limits, I recommend a tune that will meet one’s needs down the road. Otherwise, you’ll end up paying twice as more by switching from one brand to another.

Ianb

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Edition 30 Golf GTI
APR all the way
Super smooth and my car remapped when I bought the car in 2016 with their High Torque stage 1 file then stage 2 12 months later.
The car is tracked once or twice a year and I’ve just had a trip to the Ring where it performed faultlessly

Great product and support

Ianb

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Edition 30 Golf GTI
Further to the above luckily for me here in the UK we can regularly use 99RON fuel therefore APR have made adjustments accordingly refining their stage 1/2 maps over the years.

The high torque stage 1 map with Racingline R600 and intake pipe etc it gave a healthy 380bhp/ 390lbs.

With stage 2 using APR DP and full exhaust, APR FMIC it gave 407bhp/418lbs on a cool day using Dynojet.

I have only done a couple of launches using Vbox measuring 11.3 & 11.5 1/4 mile which I’m more than happy for simple tuning without turbo changes.

Low end is strong as is mid range and it just pulls like a train all the way.

I won’t be switching tunes as I feel it’s set up perfectly.

May wait for Garrett turbo as waiting for Ecotune to develop software for UK customers.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
APR all the way
Super smooth and my car remapped when I bought the car in 2016 with their High Torque stage 1 file then stage 2 12 months later.
The car is tracked once or twice a year and I’ve just had a trip to the Ring where it performed faultlessly

Great product and support
With you being in UK, why aren't you using TVS for your tune? Much better than APR...

Ianb

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Edition 30 Golf GTI
With you being in UK, why aren't you using TVS for your tune? Much better than APR...
Says who?
I don’t think it is having tried my m8’s 7.5 R running APR Stage 2 and TVS TCU tune. It felt no better than my APR TCU tune which in felt smoother on my DQ250 box.

Why pay twice when it does a perfectly good job.

Last edited:

Ianb

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Edition 30 Golf GTI
Archa
That may be for the MK8 since it's new but for the MK7/7.5, TVS is way better than APR. APR is archaic but I guess some people like that.
Archaic….in what way?.

I’ve been around motorsport and VAG VW Cup PGTI Championship in UK for over 30 yrs the tuners who have prep”d Champ winning cars have worked on all of my cars and I’m not sure what you are eluding too??

Have you ever been and seen the R&D at APR Motorsport ?
VAG Group in Germany often use them for the 24HR Races at the Ring.
They previously had F1 calibrator’s working on software over many years.

As I said I’ve been extensively in my friends TVS car and yes it’s good but not much difference to mine in daily use.
On track my car performs faultlessly re DSG….great down shifts, left foot braking ability, soft limiter no over heating issues at stage 2.

berserker6

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
So what tune did @emro_mk7 go with?! He never says definitively and doesn't report back his impressions. I've been on the edge of my seat for a year and a half.