GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Best Sway Bars for Golf R

rupertpupkin

Ready to race!
I got the sways in on Saturday. They came very well packaged and in excellent shape. H&R includes nice documents with the sways and a warranty sheet. The front sway came with a sheet of stickers and both came with 2 H&R stickers. Nice for people who like stickers.

First thing you notice is how damn heavy the bars are, and how substantial they feel. The blue finish is nearly flawless and they just scream quality.

I put the rear of the car on jack stands and had the rear bar installed in about a half hour. It was super easy and could not have fit better. Once everything was torqued down and cleaned up went for a drive. Wow. The rear of the car is super tight now and planted. The feeling of grip is nuts. Body roll in the rear is greatly reduced. The rear is set to the soft setting, which is the furthest out hole.

I dont know how people do just the rear bar though. Yes, it feels awesome and all that, but the front just feels wrong now. Still sloppy up front and lots of roll although reduced by the rear bar. Cannot wait to get the front bar in and give feedback. If it is anything like the rear it will be incredible. I think the way to go is the full set and i cannot complain about H&R in any way. Bushings are dead silent and everything fit as if OEM. The stock rear sway felt like a piece of crap when i removed it.

0509151539.jpg

0509151540.jpg

0509151541.jpg

0509151541a.jpg

0509151740.jpg

0509151803.jpg

EvoKnvl

Ready to race!
Can't comment on the difference between just Rear and F/R, since I installed them at the same time. But I'm sure you'll love them. I think I have mine set to Hard rear and Soft front. I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on the different settings.

rupertpupkin

Ready to race!
I will definitely update after getting the front installed. I am going to set it to soft as well and then from there screw with the stiffness since that's a quick change.

Sway bars rule!

Bozz

Go Kart Champion
Was it difficult to fish the rear bar above the exhaust pipe?

I'm assuming you didn't have to drop the pipe.

rupertpupkin

Ready to race!
Not at all. The rear was on the lowest of the settings on the jack stands. If you remove the brackets and bushings, then snake it through it had plenty of clearance. Very easy install. If i had a lift and hadn't been laying on the floor i would have been done in 10 minutes. No need to drop the exhaust or anything else at all.

Remove end link bolts
Remove 4 bolts holding bushings on
remove bar
finagle new H&R bar in
attach the brackets using the H&R bushings
reattached end links
done.

M10 Triplesquare, m6 triplesquare for the endlinks and 16mm wrench

Was it difficult to fish the rear bar above the exhaust pipe?

I'm assuming you didn't have to drop the pipe.

Bozz

Go Kart Champion
Wow! Thanks for the additional details, including socket sizes!

I have had bad experiences with aftermarket sways in the past on other vehicles...in that the brackets were not strong enough to hold the bar/bushing in over time.

rupertpupkin

Ready to race!
The stock brackets and bolts seem more than adequate they are really beefy metal. H&R even includes new OEM brackets for the front bar. Tells me they couldn't find a reason to have to improve them.

Wow! Thanks for the additional details, including socket sizes!

I have had bad experiences with aftermarket sways in the past on other vehicles...in that the brackets were not strong enough to hold the bar/bushing in over time.

rupertpupkin

Ready to race!
Update: Borrowed a guy's lift yesterday to drop the subframe and do the front sway and Tyrolsport deadset kit. Wow what a pain in the ass job. Took 5.5 hours and nearly crossed some threads in the body. In the end everything went in and we got it done. Dropped the car at the dealer today and got inspection and a 4 wheel alignment.

Wow.

Car feels so good now. Front end feels solid and planted. I did the deadset since i was dropping the subframe anyway for the sway. It defintely tightened up the front and the sway feels great. Both front and rear sway bar are set to the softest setting.

I may set the rear to stiff and see how that feels, but for now it feels perfectly balanced, tight, and grips like a mother in turns. Straight line ride is still excellent.

Not a single noise from either sway bar, and fitment was spot on.

Overall extremely happy with the H&R sways, and the deadset kit.

thegave

Ready to race!
The stock brackets and bolts seem more than adequate they are really beefy metal. H&R even includes new OEM brackets for the front bar. Tells me they couldn't find a reason to have to improve them.

Sorry to necro this but I thought the front bar brackets could not be disassembled/serviced. Is that only limited to the GTI?

TimS

Go Kart Newbie
Sorry to necro this but I thought the front bar brackets could not be disassembled/serviced. Is that only limited to the GTI?

They're not actually OEM, just OE-style. You're right, the OE brackets are pressed together on the OE bar and can't be removed, that's why new brackets are included with an aftermarket bar.

Some aftermarket companies save costs by using cheaper brackets with smaller diameter (and lower grade) bolts that attach with nuts and washers instead of taking the time to make a bracket with threaded bosses that will work with the OE torque-to-yield bolts.