GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Best spark plugs + Coil packs?

Jackathus

Hey all,

Quite a new user on this site, have just bought a Golf R 17 plate (50k miles), already looking at modifications and different options.

Now had a full service, the fault codes showed misfire codes over a period of time, looks like when the car was under load and the car doesn't have the best idle in my opinion.

Assuming (could be wrong) its the coil packs + spark plugs, looking at the prev service history the plugs were swapped about 18k miles ago.

So spark plus... after doing a lot of reading, general consensus is to change to NGK RS7 plugs? Its not tuned currently so not sure if a colder plug will be an issue? Have always had NGK plugs before in other cars and have served me well...

Coil packs- am looking at replacing the four. Bit of research shows RS3 Coil packs are best? Is this true? Any links would be appreciated.

Apologies if I have completely missed previous threads about this!!

Jovian

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI
OEM coils have been fine for this platform unlike previous. So I wouldn’t replace them unless you have an issue. I have the RS3 ones and noticed no difference.

Most stg1 tunes recommend the OEM plug also just gapped tighter. I’m on my second set of RS7 plugs currently and they have worked well.

Do the spark plugs first. See how your car reacts.

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI, Camaro ZL1
If you are tuning soon, ask your tuner. If you are staying stock for awhile then fresh OEM ones should do just fine.

Regarding the coil packs, I havn't read anything about the RS3 packs being “better” than the OEM ones. I replaced mine when I did my 60k service just to be safe and I went back with the latest revision of the OEM ones.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
If you are tuning soon, ask your tuner. If you are staying stock for awhile then fresh OEM ones should do just fine.

Regarding the coil packs, I havn't read anything about the RS3 packs being “better” than the OEM ones. I replaced mine when I did my 60k service just to be safe and I went back with the latest revision of the OEM ones.

They're not. The OEM coil packs work just fine so there is no need to replace them with the RS3 packs. If people are having issues with misfires, replace it with the latest revision of the OEM packs.

SugarMouth

Drag Race Newbie
I like Red.
IMG_3548 (1).JPG

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
I'm going stage 1 eqt so I ended just going with the spark plugs that Ed recommends, the NGK Racing R7437-8.

Jackathus

Thanks for all of your replies, does anyone have a link to a UK seller for rs7 spark plugs? Struggling to find the right ones on ebay etc!

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Thanks for all of your replies, does anyone have a link to a UK seller for rs7 spark plugs? Struggling to find the right ones on ebay etc!

Just order the Ruthenium plugs from NGK in the link two posts above yours.

Reactions: ATR