GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Best Products For Cleaning Aftermarket Wheels

Jargon

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
I recently purchased and installed Kansei KNP Bronze wheels. I friend of mine told me he has always been weary of wheel cleaners for painted wheels and suggested I just use soap and water. I'm ok with that but I was wondering if anyone here had any recommendations on the best products or methods for keeping these babies clean.

I've heard good things about Chemical guys and was eyeing this product.

https://www.chemicalguys.com/diablo...gel.html?gtmListValue=Category: wheel-and-rim

Cheers!

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
I recently purchased and installed Kansei KNP Bronze wheels. I friend of mine told me he has always been weary of wheel cleaners for painted wheels and suggested I just use soap and water. I'm ok with that but I was wondering if anyone here had any recommendations on the best products or methods for keeping these babies clean.

I've heard good things about Chemical guys and was eyeing this product.

https://www.chemicalguys.com/diablo-wheel-gel/diablo-wheel-gel.html?gtmListValue=Category: wheel-and-rim

Cheers!
Don't waste your money on that shitty wheel cleaner. It sucks!

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
I just use whatever soap I use on my cars paint.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Used to use just soap, but with the 200 spoke rennforms, it was a pain. So just recently got Meguiars ultimate all wheel cleaner and it made it 10 times easier.

Jargon

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 Golf R

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
I just use whatever soap I use on my cars paint.
This is what I do.

I have some Valet Pro Bilberry Wheel Cleaner in my garage and it’s sat there unused for 12 years or so just gathering dust as I’ve never found it necessary to use any specific wheel cleaners.

My wheels have a couple of layers of wax or sealant on them - the same wax or sealant that I use on the car’s paintwork (usually Collinite 845 Insulator Wax or Soft 99 Fusso Coat). They then get washed every couple of weeks with a good ph neutral car shampoo / water solution when I wash the car, and IMHO it’s all that’s needed. Regular washing stops excessive build up of brake dust, and if the wheels are well protected, brake dust and dirt will wash off easily. I re-apply the wax or sealant to the wheels to top up the protection usually every 4 months or so.