GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Best product to eliminate swirls on Black GTD?

OllieGTD

Car(s)
GTD
Hi I am new to golfmk7.com, I just have a simple question; What is the best product to eliminate swirls on a Black VW GTD?
I have tried several products but as soon as the sun shines on it they show up.

Thanks very much guys!!

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
When I had my black MK7 GTI, I realized how soft the paint was compared to other black cars I've owned in the past.

It is possible that you polished away the original swirls you saw, but induced new swirls from the pad or towel you used while wiping off the product from the paint. I used a soft wax pad (red) on the final pass of polish with diminishing abrasives and used a very plush MF detailing towel + QD for lubricity to remove the residue. Then finished off with a quick wipe down with rubbing alcohol on plush MF towel, before applying polymer sealant. No swirls. GL

OllieGTD

Car(s)
GTD
When I had my black MK7 GTI, I realized how soft the paint was compared to other black cars I've owned in the past.

It is possible that you polished away the original swirls you saw, but induced new swirls from the pad or towel you used while wiping off the product from the paint. I used a soft wax pad (red) on the final pass of polish with diminishing abrasives and used a very plush MF detailing towel + QD for lubricity to remove the residue. Then finished off with a quick wipe down with rubbing alcohol on plush MF towel, before applying polymer sealant. No swirls. GL

Thank You for that gives me hope!! I have done a full polish with meguiars ultimate Compound, Polish and liquid wax and it’s made it shine but not made a lot of difference to the swirls. If I follow your method what products do you think would be best?

VDubberinDE

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 VW Golf R
If you want a long term solution its a little costly but worth it. First go to a professional detailer who can do a paint correction. They will remove all the swirls and make the paint perfect. Then apply some sort of protection immediately after. Either paint protection film or professional applied paint protection ceramic coating like CQuartz. Problem solved. No more having to constantly cover up swirl marks. Just wash and go.

Last edited:

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
Thank You for that gives me hope!! I have done a full polish with meguiars ultimate Compound, Polish and liquid wax and it’s made it shine but not made a lot of difference to the swirls. If I follow your method what products do you think would be best?

I've tried many different products and I've basically landed to some basic products. It's funny how things work out. For polish, unless really deep swirls, I use off the shelf Meguiar's ScratchX.

I have different systems but for a real simple solution, I suggest checking out Griot's random orbital and their orange/red/black pads. It's really easy to use. If your swirls aren't too deep you can use ScratchX with just red pad (or if deeper try orange pad for a few passes then finish off with the red pad). Orange pad alone is coarse enough to leave holograms so be sure to use the red pad after using the orange pad. If you want to go the extra mile, you can use your favorite glaze with either red or black pad.

For polymer sealant I use Prima HydroMax, by far the easiest to use and immediately layers. Finish off with mist of distill water to remove any remaining residue if you work in high humidity.
https://primacarcare.com/product/prima-hydro-max-spray-wax/
For MF detailing towels I use the plush chincilla towels sold by Autogeek, for drying I blow off most of the water using a small Metrovac blower, and MF waffleweave towels to blot dry. Autogeek is a good source to gather your towels, I think. There is like 5-6 different types of MF towels I use for different applications like for interior, glass, dressing, etc.

I also do PDR and clearbra install on my own so I could go on forever so I'll stop here. GL with your swirls.

Gray_Panther

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
GTi
It all comes down to experience and skill. It will take time and multiple attempts to figure out your own method to polish away swirls.
try using different towels as your buffing technique may be fine but the way you are removing the polish with a towel may be inducing swirls.

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
I invested in a DA polisher a few years ago. By using an appropriate combination of pad and polish I can keep my car relatively swirl-free and sort any localised areas of damage such as etching from bird poo quickly and easily. My DA polisher has paid for itself many times over.

@OllieGTD; once you’ve removed the swirls (or had them removed), a safe, careful wash method and minimal contact with the paintwork is really important for keeping swirls at bay. Also, avoid the many £5 hand wash operators and always decline the dealer’s complimentary free service wash at all costs! If not, you’ll soon have nicely swirled paintwork back again.